Infinity - One hour exercise, mind trip EDM music

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just spent the past three weeks tweaking a one hour composition from last year.

I did not mean to create a one hour composition when I started, but after the first part I tried to morph it into something a bit different. That was fun, so I kept on morphing every so often until I reached an hour.

All instruments, except drum tracks, is from SynthMaster.

Please, please feel free to post any constructive comments, thank you very much and happy listening, and keep in mind this composition morphs into something different about 9 times along the way.

Text added 8/14/18 8:15am EST: This composition was meant as one hour long progressive trance song. All though the end result of the style may be debatable, it is meant to slowly progress over time, with the most change right before the new parts (of which there are nine). I like to listen to compositions like this, or albums when I work, work out, or when I lay down in my bed at night to stress down (music or a good book). Do not except this to be the same as a trance album with 10 totally different compositions.

8/15: Revision 4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEAYVuDr8KQ
Last edited by DKDiveDude on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Scuba divers work best under pressure!"

https://www.youtube.com/user/DKDiveDude (Original music and hardware videos)

nice electronic music here. high end sounds a little harsh at times
around the dreaded 5khz freq range.
enjoyed overall, a few minutes of it anyway.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

What I heard was quite interesting, I have to admit I did skip some bits, so i apologise for that.
Overall, what I think would be better, is if this was broken down into individual tracks and then mixed up again, this is just my opinion :)
:tu:
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

There are some good, interesting ideas in here...

Melodic gems
Good combination of timbres
Driving rhythms

BUT...

It's very repetitive, even for a MUCH shorter track! :0)

Similar sounds, rhythms, tempos, timbres, melodies, scales, textures throughout with not even close to enough variation to justify calling them different tracks!

My advice would be - pick out the very best bits and create a GREAT 5 minute dance track!

Thank you for your comments. I make music I like to listen to, and it is my hope a few others will too.

This composition among others, is for those who are not in a rush. There are plenty of songs (tracks) for those that want a 5 minute experience.

Anyways I called the "variations" on this composition "parts", not tracks and as I explained I only try to morph each section into something a bit different.

DKDiveDude wrote:Thank you for your comments. I make music I like to listen to, and it is my hope a few others will too.

This composition among others, is for those who are not in a rush. There are plenty of songs (tracks) for those that want a 5 minute experience.

Anyways I called the "variations" on this composition "parts", not tracks and as I explained I only try to morph each section into something a bit different.
Fair enough, but remember...

20 x 5 minute experiences = a long, chilled 1 hour experience! :0)

To write a 1 hour track with enough variation and development of ideas to make it genuinely interesting all the way through is a monumental task that requires a deep understanding of ALL the various elements of music...

My advice for, what it's worth, would be - get a handle on how to successfully organize a shorter track first...a serious task in itself if it's done to a high level!:0)

Your so-called "advice" on "how to get a handle on how to successfully organize a shorter track first" sounds very assumptive. Have you checked out my over 120 original "short" compositions on YouTube? You must have or how else can you write this.

Anyways I just added the following track description to my original post, in the hopes it finds the right audience;

"Text added 8/14/18 8:15am EST: This composition was meant as one hour long progressive trance song. All though the end result of the style may be debatable, it is meant to slowly progress over time, with the most change right before the new parts (of which there are nine). I like to listen to compositions like this, or albums when I work, work out, or when I lay down in my bed at night to stress down (music or a good book). Do not except this to be the same as a trance album with 10 totally different compositions."

Even with that added, I think you missed how and why this composition was made. It was meant to be one(1) long, hence the name "Infinity" progressive trance composition. It was fun to make and even after having listened to it over a 100 times since it was made last year, I still enjoy listening to it. I have made over 120 short compositions, and several "albums" with greater (normal?) variety between tracks. This composition is deliberately not it, and it never will be.
Last edited by DKDiveDude on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eauson wrote:What I heard was quite interesting, I have to admit I did skip some bits, so i apologise for that.
Overall, what I think would be better, is if this was broken down into individual tracks and then mixed up again, this is just my opinion :)
:tu:
Thank you very much for your comments. However this was meant to be one hour long progressive trance composition, with the morphing between parts being some of its most interesting. Perhaps it helps also if I quote the description I just added to my original post;

"Text added 8/14/18 8:15am EST: This composition was meant as one hour long progressive trance song. All though the end result of the style may be debatable, it is meant to slowly progress over time, with the most change right before the new parts (of which there are nine). I like to listen to compositions like this, or albums when I work, work out, or when I lay down in my bed at night to stress down (music or a good book). Do not except this to be the same as a trance album with 10 totally different compositions."

layzer wrote:nice electronic music here. high end sounds a little harsh at times
around the dreaded 5khz freq range.
enjoyed overall, a few minutes of it anyway.
Thank you very much for the constructive criticism. Here is a revised where I have tried to address the harshness you are referring to.

If you get a chance to listen a bit, I would be most grateful of your opinion; better, worse, more adjustment.

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/rEAYVuDr8KQ

DKDiveDude wrote:Your so-called "advice" on "how to get a handle on how to successfully organize a shorter track first" sounds very assumptive.
Nope! :0)
DKDiveDude wrote:Have you checked out my over 120 original "short" compositions on YouTube? You must have or how else can you write this.
Yep! 4 or 5 of them over a wide 'uploaded' time period....before I typed my reply!

Again - lots of great ideas in many of them, but in terms of well-structured, finely -honed pieces of music all the ones I listened to had significant room for further development...

1) Often very similar timbres, that sometimes didn't mix that well together.
2) Production overall Ok, but a little bit harsh and slightly flat in terms of sound stage.
3) Good, raw melodic ideas that have great potential, but are a little ragged around the edges at times.
4) Overall shape and structure that works, but lacks refinement and subtlety.
5) Harmonies / chords that work, but are not always necessarily the best choices + you do use the same basic harmonic ideas again and again.
DKDiveDude wrote:I think you missed how and why this composition was made.
DKDiveDude wrote: It was fun to make and even after having listened to it over a 100 times since it was made last year, I still enjoy listening to it.
Fair enough, but that doesn't stop others from suggesting ways in which they think it could be improved...that is why you posted it...right? Constructive criticism?
DKDiveDude wrote:I have made over 120 short compositions, and several "albums" with greater (normal?) variety between tracks.
Irrelevant to my suggestions with regard to this piece.
DKDiveDude wrote:Anyways I just added the following track description to my original post, in the hopes it finds the right audience;
The 'right audience' presumably being people who don't say things that you don't agree with? Hmmm.

OVERVIEW FROM ME:

Quite liked it, but for me a 1 hour track, (most lengths of track for that matter) needs much more subtle and nuanced development and variation.

Production is OK, but a little harsh and flat.

Some interesting musical ideas in there, but for me they are raw and underdeveloped...not the finished article, but with serious potential.

We should just agree to differ...conversation ended!

ChamMusic wrote:
DKDiveDude wrote:Your so-called "advice" on "how to get a handle on how to successfully organize a shorter track first" sounds very assumptive.

YES IT DOES!!!
DKDiveDude wrote:Have you checked out my over 120 original "short" compositions on YouTube? You must have or how else can you write this.
Yep! 4 or 5 of them over a wide 'uploaded' time period....before I typed my reply!

Again - lots of great ideas in many of them, but in terms of well-structured, finely -honed pieces of music all the ones I listened to had significant room for further development...

1) Often very similar timbres, that sometimes didn't mix that well together.
2) Production overall Ok, but a little bit harsh and slightly flat in terms of sound stage.
3) Good, raw melodic ideas that have great potential, but are a little ragged around the edges at times.
4) Overall shape and structure that works, but lacks refinement and subtlety.
5) Harmonies / chords that work, but are not always necessarily the best choices + you do use the same basic harmonic ideas again and again.
DKDiveDude wrote:I think you missed how and why this composition was made.
DKDiveDude wrote: It was fun to make and even after having listened to it over a 100 times since it was made last year, I still enjoy listening to it.
Fair enough, but that doesn't stop others from suggesting ways in which they think it could be improved...that is why you posted it...right? Constructive criticism?
DKDiveDude wrote:I have made over 120 short compositions, and several "albums" with greater (normal?) variety between tracks.
Irrelevant to my suggestions with regard to this piece.
DKDiveDude wrote:Anyways I just added the following track description to my original post, in the hopes it finds the right audience;
The 'right audience' presumably being people who don't say things that you don't agree with? Hmmm.

OVERVIEW FROM ME:

Quite liked it, but for me a 1 hour track, (most lengths of track for that matter) needs much more subtle and nuanced development and variation.

Needed for what? No it does NOT! Not for what it was meant for. It is just an amateur, that being me, that has fun composing music I like to listen to. Even with the extra track description you still do not get it. It is meant to be and long related, repetitive, slightly progressive track!

Production is OK, but a little harsh and flat.

Some interesting musical ideas in there, but for me they are raw and underdeveloped...not the finished article, but with serious potential.

We should just agree to differ...conversation ended!
Yes the conversation is hopefully ended from your arrogant side, because I could not care less about your opinion. Now the person who commented on "a bit harsh on high frequencies", that was something concrete I could use, and I did remaster a revision today trying to address that point. Your comments was like "this water tastes like water"!

DKDiveDude wrote:Yes the conversation is hopefully ended from your arrogant side
One final time...Apparently, I've been arrogant about all this? Let's see what I've said so far:

Any positive comments, let's see...

There are some good, interesting ideas in here...

Melodic gems
Good combination of timbres
Driving rhythms

Quite liked it...

Production is OK...

Some interesting musical ideas

Hmmm...doesn't sound particularly arrogant from me so far? There are other example of positive comments as well!

Apparently, I've NOT given any constructive criticism...let's see....

Quite liked it, but for me a 1 hour track needs much more subtle and nuanced development and variation.

Production is OK overall, but a little harsh and flat from back to front of the sound stage.

It's very repetitive, maybe some more variation - Similar sounds, rhythms, tempos, timbres, melodies, scales, textures throughout....

My advice would be - pick out the very best bits and create a GREAT 5 minute dance track!

Arrogant? NOT constructive...seriously?
NOTE: again, there are other positively phrased suggestions as well.

NOW to the central issues...

1) You simply don't like my opinion!
Absolutely fair enough, but don't reject it in a silly way by calling me arrogant!

2) You really like listening to your own music and you like it as it is...very repetitive etc.
100% fair enough with me, but why on earth did you post it here if you weren't expecting some suggestions about changes...NOT just to the production as Layzer (and myself) both mentioned, but possibly to the musical ideas as well?

The MUSIC CAFE is a forum where you will get feedback on your music...

Some will be VERY positive maybe?

Occasionally you'll get VERY nasty negative comments?

You will regularly get what you have here:
Suggestions about what might be improved, intermingled with praise for certain aspects of the track as it stands!

AND FINALLY:
DKDiveDude wrote:Needed for what? No it does NOT! Not for what it was meant for. It is just an amateur, that being me, that has fun composing music I like to listen to. Even with the extra track description you still do not get it. It is meant to be and long related, repetitive, slightly progressive track!
OK, chill dude...you don't think my suggestions are needed...again, fair enough, you are free to ignore them, obviously... but they are still valid suggestions nonetheless!

So, you're an amateur having fun composing...that'll be like the majority of people on here then! Doesn't mean that they don't take suggestions onboard sometimes and try to improve / try something different.

BELIEVE ME I DO GET IT....musically, you like it as it is...then keep it that way...just don't presume that someone who thinks differently is doing so from an arrogant point of view!

@ChamMusic

My new goal in life is to do something that you like. You are my hero.

Great post! Some people just can't take any criticism at all, myself included. LOL

Peace.

@wagtunes. Good luck making something "chammusic" likes.

He rubbed me the wrong way in several ways.

1) He is suggesting me to boil down a 60 minute composition to 5 minutes, and that is when I mentally blocked listening to any of his so-called advice. As it was meant to be a 60 minute album, he is in other words suggesting me to redo 55 minutes. When someone like 8.33% of something, it is essentially the same as saying "I do not like it". And although I respect that, I really don't care. It is like somebody asking your opinion for a painting you just made, and they reply "yes I like that square inch there, those two square inches in that corner, and the square inch down there, [but the rest is crap], so why don't you cut out those pieces, all 8%, stitch them together for a smaller painting, or repaint the other 92%! That is definitely not constructive, but destructive criticism. He and his freaking "gems". I think that a lot of persons on this planet can find something [gems] in this topic's 60 minute composition, or any other composition for that matter!

2) "...conversation ended!". Reality check; The conversation ends when either one of the parties stop conversing, not when you command it! And note how I am now not replying directly to your reply, as I do not want anymore from you!

3) Finally after I told him I did not care about his opinion, he writes an about 3000 character count, sectionalized, color coordinated reply (essay) about his advice. Wow does this person not have anything better to do? Get a life. You already hijacked this thread. Stop harassing me or do I have to get a restraining order?

But I guess it is my own fault by my too general invitation for comments and lack of description. From now on when I create a topic about a composition of mine, I will try and better explain my composition, what I was trying to accomplish, who it was meant for, and add the following invitation for comments;

"If you happen to like, or mostly like this composition, please feel free to comment, especially if you have any constructive criticism as to how I can fairly easily improve any areas."

It should then be obvious, hopefully, that there is no need, actually I don't want, all others to comment at all.
Last edited by DKDiveDude on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

this thread...lol
Cham IS a sharp one. skilled in all facets of music from the composition and production of many genres. i always value his input.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Music Cafe”