Flux Tolerance Indices

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"it struck me as someone trying to make their personal beef or whatever goes on there into something that sounds objective."

i may have explained myself poorly but that isn't what i was doing. i meant when i said i liked it and when i said there were things that seemed off to me.

i may be ignorant, music-blind, rude, or uneducated but i wouldn't knowingly sacrifice my integrity just because i dislike someone's attitude. i don't have to like a person to admit that they have skill with something.

anyway. i thought you were going for a "live" feel, like it was being played by an orchestra, and there were a few moments in the song which sort of broke the 'suspension of disbelief' that it wasn't all done in a DAW. maybe you weren't trying to completely emulate the live feel, in which case ignore what I said, and everything after this paragraph.

when i said "i could hear a lot of places where instruments just started and stopped with their midi triggers," i guess it's not entirely clear what that means. i was sort of playing fast and loose with the terminology, i admit, although in my defense it made sense to me at the time.

the thing in the (mostly) left channel, from 0:29 to 0:39, g to g#, going into a pitch-bend up, sounds 'fake' or mechanically played to me. idk how to explain it and i'd probably fail anyway.

the whole thing with the (possibly piccolos?) thing in the upper register from 1:50 to 1:56 also sounds fake-ish. maybe i'm wrong, idk. again, i don't know how to explain what feels off, to me.

I'm sure they could be fixed with a little extra work with the various controllers involved, which is why i mentioned it in the first place.

there were a handful of other moments in the song which had the same effect on me, but i doubt you want a point-by-point list from someone you have decided is beneath listening to. if you actually believe i'm being sincere about "liking it but feeling like there were some problems with the sequencing" then maybe I could write more, but honestly I don't think you WILL want me to, or even that you want to hear from me ever again. Ultimately, I just wrote this post in an effort to prove I wasn't being a deliberate fraud, even if i am a sham.

edit: i appreciate that i'm probably just making myself sound stupider and worse of a human being by the minute, here. i apologize for making this more exasperating than it probably needed to be.
Last edited by sleepcircle on Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Again: I'm not long for this world, yer muted, & I've done too much already. Thanks for the bump! :)

Oh yeah, and if I'd gotten a room of "real musicians" (I happen to be one somehow, hmmm...) in a room and got a result this close to my idea, I'd feel I'd really made it in this world.

Sure, the ideal version of this, this really isn't.
I learned over 30 years ago, getting ambitious shows together - written, arranged, rehearsed, staged & performed, ideas successfully conveyed to an audience - in the time I had, how one may have to cut their losses in order to actually get things done.

In the virtual realm, so much more can be done. 50 piece string orchestra here, sure, I can budget for that. :lol:
Yeah, I didn't appreciate yer gaslighting here at all.

Diggin' the new video too :tu:

So you found that already

thanks. with the new machine I can capture that type of thing. I have one for Nuages 3 but there is still this one unsatisfactory bar of crash cymbals, may as well address that one as well.

Visualizer videos now for all of Nuages:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=498913&p=6995817#p6995817

and for this one directly:

https://youtu.be/yOGfAGfgJLE

Edit = version
Last edited by jancivil on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:50 am, edited 6 times in total.

Outstanding original work. The Ligeti influence is most noticeable at the start, then it becomes more jancivilized. :)

If this is a prelude then I'm looking forward to hearing what comes next.

"The present day composer refuses to die !"

Best,

dp

Thank you, Dave!

The workflow of this was rather torturous actually so my next move is far in 'the other' direction. It definitely is a prelude although I don't have formal plans, and a 'we'll see' type of proposition at this point. But I intend to get into similar textures and the kind of stupid motif that recurs may be of further incept.

FCI
Last edited by jancivil on Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChamMusic wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:05 pm
I can definitely hear the influence of both Both Atmosphères and Lontano in this...did you actually use Ligeti style micropolyphony techniques as such?
No.

Or I should say that I'm using granular synthesis instead of it, being just very lazy.
I'm going to get back into this. It's not the long slog of writing all those tiny notes, but it takes some thought.

I've been having this sort of thought for around a year. I just noticed in a paper I happened to come across at Scribd the writer making the connection specifically.

In 1957, Ligeti was assisting Gottfried Michael Koenig in the electronic music studio of the
Westdeutscher Rundfunk in Cologne for the realization of a piece called Essay

[...] mainly composed of sinusoidal sounds which can be easily followed by the ear at some points but at other moments, those sounds formed interesting conglomerates where none of them could be individually spotted. That was due to the extreme brevity of them and to the high speed of their succession in time. In the simultaneity of sounds above and below the differentiation level of the ear created an interesting texture. In this texture one could spot and follow those sounds above the perception threshold, sounds longer than 50ms., as a kind of “melody”. At the same time, sounds below that threshold, shorter than 50ms., are perceived as if they were “simultaneous” with the others. Even when they were not.That “false simultaneity” not only created an interestingly complex sound aggregate, but another quality, previously unheard of, emerged as well. Koenig called this quality the “sound (timbre-color) of movement”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh_XqHy ... S&index=64

Return to “Music Cafe”