Exit Stage Front

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Been debating putting it up here, as this one is a bit autobiographical, but here goes nothing.

Probably still could use a couple of mix tweaks and a much better singer. :D

https://soundcloud.com/erikgyle/exit-stage-front

Let me know what you think.

My Feedback

Music - 10
Instruments - 9
Performance - 9
Mix - 7

Overall - 8.75

Comments: You remind me a little of Ray Thomas from the Moody Blues. Singing seems fine to me. Hell of a lot better than I can sing, that's for sure. Mix is a little hot. Could probably come down a db or 2. Has kind of a Broadway feel to it. Musically, it's one of the better songs posted here. I'm genuinely impressed.

a shame, if it wasnt squashed all to hell it would be very very good.
Last edited by layzer on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:50 am a shame, if it wasnt squashed to all hell it would be very very good.
Is that what it is I'm hearing Layzer? Cause it's really loud.

I really enjoyed listening to your song. I like your voice, the way you sing, the melody, chord progression. A little less compression would allow more dynamics. The quiet part near 2:30 doesn't suffer from that. Keep on the good work!

Marc

Thanks all! Yeah, it is squashed to hell. Kind of hard trade-off when you have orchestra and chorus in an alt-rock song. These things need dynamic range to sound truly loud, but quiet sounds “less professional” to many, so insecurity gets the better of me. :)

I am sorry i could not listen very far into this as I did not like the sound at all - especially when it got to the first loud section. A shame as the music was certainly grabbing my interest.
Jazz Clarinet Rocks - well sort of Swings anyway!

I’d personally put a synth string and brass section instead of the real string and brass section, real instruments weren’t really meant for rock or pop, and never electronic music, and they cut through too much. Either that or layer it with some synthetic sounding strings and maybe some synth brass, for that late 70’s Moody Blues or ELO sound. They never always used live orchestra, they used Mellotrons and ARP Solinas (with Patrick Moraz) just as much. ELO used synthesized strings, choirs, and brass on several of their 80’s albums. Not trying to be rude or anything, just I don’t think it sounds enough like Moody Blues or ELO, maybe a little, but I prefer synthetic sounding orchestras. Maybe that’s why.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

erikgyle wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:33 pm Yeah, it is squashed to hell. Kind of hard trade-off when you have orchestra and chorus in an alt-rock song.
when you pan and eq things to have their own "space", you
do not need to overcompress or brickwall limit any part
or the entire track to a squashed extreme. :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Music Cafe”