A song I did not like making..

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRist
115 posts since 2 Jan, 2005

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:39 am

For The King - Antti Luode

#symphonic #orchestral

This song is very anti-me. Loud. Full of bang and boom.
But I do not think it is a bad idea. Ideally probably done
by metal band screaming their heads off.

MP3 at soundclick:

http://sclk.co/r/s88ic8

The project is made with FLstudio v 20.01

The FLP file is at: (93 For The King.zip)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11qw-A ... 05Wy0z6xdT

It uses:

Sforzando by Plogue:

http://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/

Is playing Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra by Mattias Westlund.

The instruments used are written in instrument headers.

For The King

see the king
in his glory
ride
like the wind

to a battle
that is waiting
to the smoke
to the ash

we fight
for the king
we live
for the king
we sacrifice
for the king
we die
for the king

see the smoke
see the fire
where men
used to stand

broken
like sticks
wiped
off the map

CHORUS

see the king
in his glory
ride
like the wind

to a battle
that is waiting
to the smoke
to the ash

high
is the price
of pride
for the king

mowed
to the ground
squashed
like a bug

we fight
for the king
we live
for the king
we sacrifice
for the king
we die
for the king

we fight
for the king
we live
for the king
we sacrifice
for the king
we die

for the fool

--

KVRist
242 posts since 16 Oct, 2016

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:15 am

Decent track. Though with a couple of things that bother me.

1. That staccato contrabass sound at the start is panned pretty hard to the left. Having low frequencies that far from center make listening on headphones uncomfortable.

2. The spoken 'for the king' overdub is a bit jarring at it's current volume. It suits the passage, but maybe dial it down a little?

Just my nitpicky thoughts. :)

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:41 am

lessera wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:15 am
Decent track. Though with a couple of things that bother me.

1. That staccato contrabass sound at the start is panned pretty hard to the left. Having low frequencies that far from center make listening on headphones uncomfortable.

2. The spoken 'for the king' overdub is a bit jarring at it's current volume. It suits the passage, but maybe dial it down a little?

Just my nitpicky thoughts. :)
Thank you for listening! Thanks for the input.. Maybe at some point I will get around to tweaking it.. Today I am wiped out.. :D

Antti

KVRAF
22327 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:21 am

lessera wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:15 am
low frequencies that far from center
Double basses in orchestral seating is typically at the far right. Sometimes there are bassi placed at center but that's somewhat unusual and was probably dictated to by a particular space. So it's not going to be "uncomfortable" per se if at all for people used to orchestral music. And it's not as far to the left as bassi typically are to the right, not really that far from center. So it sounds like an expectation from like "electronic music" {EDM} POV here to me, that really isn't an objective consideration but more like ideology.

I'll reserve judgment for the most part, it sounds like a rather lossy mp3, the link I clicked on. More or less sounds like orchestra but kind of flat dimensionally, which can be a product of loss of frequencies in such a file. If it's not that, the mix needs a little help. Not my kind of music, but don't worry about that.

KVRist

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:53 pm

My comment was based solely on my observation of listening with headphones. Staging of instruments within a stereo field defined by speakers risks sounding too exaggerated when listening with headphones: Having each ear isolated from the other creates a listening environment where lower frequencies panned too far left or right can become uncomfortable, regardless of genre (I am certain this is nothing new to you). In the end, it is up to him what he considers more important - playback on speakers or headphones. A dilemma for modern times I guess.

KVRAF
22327 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:09 pm

KVRAF
7681 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:56 pm

i like bass sounds centered because i listen on headphones.
but then i also get annoyed when a youtube video sound
is panned too far left or right.... that OCD again, i guess.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

KVRist

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:21 pm

Does that picture say anything beyond what you said in your first post? Why are we derailing the OP's thread?

To the OP: Take my comments for what they were meant to be - 'nitpicky thoughts' (as was previously stated).

KVRAF
3936 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Hamilton, New Zealand

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:51 pm

Some feedback: the vox need work, not in the mix but in terms of training - they sound weak and without conviction.
The orchestral sounds also sound a little weak - bit fake. Could use some IR reverb perhaps to put them all in the same space.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:56 pm

Thank you for the comments all! Jancivil.. How it never occurred to me to google instrument placements in orchestra.. I do not know. I guess I am sloppy in the way I operate.. Thank you for that! I fixed the instrument placings to be more realistic.

Lessera. I toned down the volume on the "For The King" part. Also cut off the for the king part completely in the spoken chorus before the final one.

Metamorphosis. God. I wish I could have the red army choir with Metallica ca 1996. I am not a good singer. . The Orchestra does use Fruity Convolver sound impluse St Pauls Dst Hall rear. Yes, you are right. The orchestra is weak. I am not a orchestral guy. (I am known here for being in the bottom 5 of OSC competition) That is why I said this song is not me. But it was just begging to be written. The instrumental came out of nowhere in few hours.. It triggered my epilepsy.. It made me uncomfortable.

The lyrics I guess are about this feeling that past will become the future again.

Sigh.

It got one upvote in reddit music. Thank you guys for listening.

If you can hook me up with Metallica and the Red Army Choir. Let me know.. ;)

Antti

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:17 am

Deleted

Return to “Music Cafe”