New song "The BIT" with Rob Papens new synth "BIT". :-)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just made a song only with the new fantastic Rob Papen synth "BIT".
It is called "The BIT". I hope you like it.
https://soundcloud.com/musikus/the-bit

I like it. Not a boring composition/arrangement and seems well mixed.

I like all the patches with a couple of exceptions, which can be chalked up to individual taste. The drums tones are ok neither spectacular nor annoying. The bass and percussive ostinato patches and the fat supersaw pad are fun to hear and well played.

I'm long burned out on high q nasal sync tones such as the lead line. Some other tone would work better to my ear but maybe the typical listener greatly enjoys thin high q sync lead tones dunno. I can't say what is good or bad just whether I like it or not. I usually try not to say anything at all about what I don't like so maybe it's a mistake mentioning it at all.

The ring modulated sweep sound effect is a good sounding high fidelity example of such sounds. But gratuitous sweeps and twitters thrown in to electronic songs tends to bug me.

Maybe such FX are real musically important in electronic music because so many folk throw them in, and I just don't understand the artistic importance.

Such FX drops seemed distracting even back when Tomita, Jarre or even Wendy Carlos would fly them in ontop of otherwise nice pieces, distracting attention from the music.

Dunno if people throw them in because they are considered the icing on the cake or maybe it is sometimes monkey see monkey do, "If Jarre or Vangelis decorated pieces with gratuitous sweeps then I guess I better put them in my tunes as well?"

So anyway I tend to view excessive use of sweeps and synth twitters as musical tropes kinda like a vocalist feels like he has to grunt and yell "hey!" In any and all R&B funk tunes? Or the flashy lounge pianist who has to do that lightning fast chord arpeggio all the way up and down the 88's several times in every dang song, just to make sure no one forgets that he knows how to do it? :)

IOW maybe use such a synth FX once or maybe twice in a song if ya just can't stand not to throw it in, but don't wear it out?

As said, I like yer song. The rest is just blathering on about hexapodia as the key insight. :)

My Feedback

Music - 7.5
Instruments - 8.5
Performance - 9
Mix - 9

Overall - 8.5

Comments: After listening to your other track, I was hesitant to listen to this one as people's styles are usually pretty consistent. This track was a little more interesting. Even through it's the same ARP played over and over, because of the complexity of the melody within, it's not as monotonous sounding, even though technically it's as monotonous as the other piece. The arrangement is also a little more interesting on this one. The leads are also a little more interesting. The secondary ARP also helps. All in all, an improvement over the other track.

Hi JCJR, Hi wagtunes,
thanks for listening and your feedback. :-)
The song was intended as a tribute for the Tangerine Dream songs in 1983 until 1987.
That is the reason for the continous arps. It is a style element of TD music.

I liked the continuous arps, sounded fine to me

Gucky wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:16 pm Hi JCJR, Hi wagtunes,
thanks for listening and your feedback. :-)
The song was intended as a tribute for the Tangerine Dream songs in 1983 until 1987.
That is the reason for the continous arps. It is a style element of TD music.
A a big Tangerine Dream fan (Stratosphere is my favorite) I can tell you that even their music has more variance than this track. In fact, their stuff continuously evolves into the most intricate soundscapes. While there is a loose similarity between this and their music, that's as far as I'm willing to go.

Nice. Like the pad that came in at 1:01.
Nice substantial bass preset. Nice FX at 1:46.
Mixing good.
Some sections of the song are a bit samey but from 3:11 onwards it came alive, and a good change in energy at 3:36.
I went to Papens website eariler actually and heard the demo of this. They seem to have captured some unique analog sounds in there, although a bit more "instability"/imperfections might be nice to hear in a few presets, if you know what I mean. (It does have some terrific pads though.)
:tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”