Lego Guitar - Mama Let Him Play (Jerry Doucette Cover)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, thought I'd post this here.

Finished building this guitar about a year ago, finished this cover to show it playing. The guitar is about 1500+ pieces from headstock to end of body, made a cover of one of my favourite song to show it off.

On a side note, haven't uploaded a tune I made/covered in about 2 years on youtube because I felt like my mixes kept getting worse, past couple months I kinda restarted on how to mix and honestly this has been the best result I've had in a LONG time (not that they were amazing in the first place).

Any Feedback is appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCHmIe0jGDY

Cool, I enjoyed the listen and the guitar, and effort of both, nice playing. :tu:
Also enjoyed the production and mixing, way above my level.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

thanks dude!

As the post above,great work,for the guitar and the play.The mix is ok,but i think you can improve a little bit.Regards!

lego plus rock!
what's not to love! :band:

Thanks! and yeah, there's alot to fix in my mix, one particular problem was I had a ~600hz spike when I play an A Chord/Note which I have note found a good fix for that.

I really like the build up... and that riff is stuck in my head and I can't lego.

How does it hold together with the string tension? Did you glue the Lego pieces? I’m a Lego fan, but I’ve never felt that anything built of Lego could withstand much pressure applied to it.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

sjm wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:46 pm I really like the build up... and that riff is stuck in my head and I can't lego.
lmao thanks dude, song really works well on it's own without lyrics.
Jace-BeOS wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:54 am How does it hold together with the string tension? Did you glue the Lego pieces? I’m a Lego fan, but I’ve never felt that anything built of Lego could withstand much pressure applied to it.
TL:DR Third attempt on making the neck hold string tension, using Aluminum Alloy Bar stock as Truss Rod from Head to Pickup (You can see the black piece running along), being string Through helps with tuning.

Alrighty so for the long of it at first I tried just using lego pieces but saw right away that it didn't hold. Second was a steel bar running along from headstock to pickup, it held strings but the bar still bent from tension. Third attempt is the 7075 aluminum alloy from headstock to pickup, the alloy at around the same weight of steel is IIRC 100X stronger, bonus of the aluminum is that it's 1Lb Lighter than the steel rod and it holds tune well, that's basically might set truss rod.

The guitar is held by just the connection force together, I got lego pieces glued to the top and bottom of the rod to make it act like a pseudo lego piece. the guitar is kinda built in 2 parts, the main body of it is mostly glued together because of my first attempt (with just regular glue I can take off with time) but the rest of the body and headstock aren't, seeing the headstock stay flat with tension tells me that the guitar does not have to be glued at all barring the Truss Rod.

Going back on the Truss Rod, if it was all the way to the strings going through the body I would have 0 tuning Issues at all, the way I have it now, only if I bend the neck too much it will detune, but if you don't tuning is fine and will stay fine for days.

Sorry if this was long winded, I can go on about this for days, put so much time and effort to make this the best damn Lego Through guitar.

Fantastic Dude! This is amazing :-) How about building up a big "Lego Orchestra", later then, getting on stage with your introduction words saying: "Lego Power"...and the "Lego Rock" show can begin!!! :D

Gabriel_West wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:25 am Fantastic Dude! This is amazing :-) How about building up a big "Lego Orchestra", later then, getting on stage with your introduction words saying: "Lego Power"...and the "Lego Rock" show can begin!!! :D
That would be rad :D

LynxxSavior wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:57 am
sjm wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:46 pm I really like the build up... and that riff is stuck in my head and I can't lego.
lmao thanks dude, song really works well on it's own without lyrics.
Jace-BeOS wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:54 am How does it hold together with the string tension? Did you glue the Lego pieces? I’m a Lego fan, but I’ve never felt that anything built of Lego could withstand much pressure applied to it.
TL:DR Third attempt on making the neck hold string tension, using Aluminum Alloy Bar stock as Truss Rod from Head to Pickup (You can see the black piece running along), being string Through helps with tuning.

Alrighty so for the long of it at first I tried just using lego pieces but saw right away that it didn't hold. Second was a steel bar running along from headstock to pickup, it held strings but the bar still bent from tension. Third attempt is the 7075 aluminum alloy from headstock to pickup, the alloy at around the same weight of steel is IIRC 100X stronger, bonus of the aluminum is that it's 1Lb Lighter than the steel rod and it holds tune well, that's basically might set truss rod.

The guitar is held by just the connection force together, I got lego pieces glued to the top and bottom of the rod to make it act like a pseudo lego piece. the guitar is kinda built in 2 parts, the main body of it is mostly glued together because of my first attempt (with just regular glue I can take off with time) but the rest of the body and headstock aren't, seeing the headstock stay flat with tension tells me that the guitar does not have to be glued at all barring the Truss Rod.

Going back on the Truss Rod, if it was all the way to the strings going through the body I would have 0 tuning Issues at all, the way I have it now, only if I bend the neck too much it will detune, but if you don't tuning is fine and will stay fine for days.

Sorry if this was long winded, I can go on about this for days, put so much time and effort to make this the best damn Lego Through guitar.
Thanks for the info! :-) I figured you must have reinforced it with something, and, while I thought of glue, I didn’t think of a proper truss rod. Silly of me not to realize that.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Music Cafe”