innerPeoples [electronic]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

new to this site. just wanting to share some of my noise.

https://soundcloud.com/r1381/innerpeoples

This might be one of the worst mixes I've ever heard in my life. Forget about the music itself as it is pretty much just that, noise. But Lord, do you even know what a limiter is? And then you've got some sounds that are way too low in relation to everything else that's like 10 db too loud.

To say this was a train wreck would be doing train wrecks a disservice.

That I listened to the whole thing says a lot about my patience these days.

I'd suggest giving it another shot at the mix and this time try putting some plugins on the master buss. You might get lucky and turn this into something that's listenable.

Wagtunes lowered my expectations so much that I was surprised in a good way. Nice track, got some attitude, liked the energy and groove. In regards to mixing I don`t have much problems with it, goes with songs no f**ks given attitude, reminded a bit of some older doormouse songs and breakcore in general.

oh shiiiiiiiiit! haha. wag, your response was brutally outstanding. it was like i was presenting my signature dish of over-cooked pizza rolls to 16 michelin star recipient, chef gordon ramsay and he destroyed me. however, after the smoke clears, i'm still going to eat those pizza rolls and be happy with what i made.
i'm assuming you are on a professional level of music making. i am not, as you figured out. i don't know how to mix at all, just tweak stuff to my liking. i have fun with what i create, but i know i am not a musician. thanks for the listen and the ass-whipping. i'll have to give some of your stuff a listen. see how it is done.

hma...i appreciate your follow-up response and your time taken to listen to this mess, too. i definitely don't have the experience or ear for mixing, but if it sounds fine on my speakers, then i am satisfied. ha.

r1381 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:29 pm oh shiiiiiiiiit! haha. wag, your response was brutally outstanding. it was like i was presenting my signature dish of over-cooked pizza rolls to 16 michelin star recipient, chef gordon ramsay and he destroyed me. however, after the smoke clears, i'm still going to eat those pizza rolls and be happy with what i made.
i'm assuming you are on a professional level of music making. i am not, as you figured out. i don't know how to mix at all, just tweak stuff to my liking. i have fun with what i create, but i know i am not a musician. thanks for the listen and the ass-whipping. i'll have to give some of your stuff a listen. see how it is done.

hma...i appreciate your follow-up response and your time taken to listen to this mess, too. i definitely don't have the experience or ear for mixing, but if it sounds fine on my speakers, then i am satisfied. ha.
No, I'm by no means a professional but I at least know some basics and can make a mix that sounds decent if not amazing. And that took me years.

By all means, listen to some of my more recent mixes. My early stuff is pretty bad too.

"To say this was a train wreck would be doing train wrecks a disservice."
this was funny...you are a dick, but this was funny.

i'm familiar w/ the source of your vocal grabs ; that infuriating s.o.b
had me me re-calibrating my hypocrisy meter ...

plain speaking , your track builds out way too loud , and requires some level balancing ...
i was fighting ear fatigue just 30 seconds in ...
pay a bit more attention to your mix , and you will be rewarded ...

r1381 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:16 am "To say this was a train wreck would be doing train wrecks a disservice."
this was funny...you are a dick, but this was funny.
I may be a dick but you totally suck as a music producer. So I guess we're even. :lol:

Wow. That was fun. Wags post that is.

Yes, the track is pretty uneven which either makes it exciting or just plain messy. Seeing I am not really getting a clear sense of what it is about then of first listen I will sway towards the messy side of the equation.

There are elements of things that are a bit like early EBM (Industrial) but not the sense of Man vs Industry common to that style. After that tho there just doesn't seem to be a clear enough thread between the loud & soft stuff and whatever the voices are about.

Do you have more work that we can try to understand?
If I could hear a narrative that I liked, I might offer a go on my Mix Walkthrough series.

:-)

while i am taking a beating, i do really like the honesty in this forum. guessing that first track i posted was too much of a mess to warrant any specific constructive criticism. i am a total beginner when it comes to knowing how to mix, etc.
if you guys do have the time, here is another track that is a bit more linear, less busy....maybe it would be easier to point out specific things in the mix that need adjusting or help me understand what to pay attention to? i can take the hits if you just think it is garbage, but would be interested in knowing what could be done to improve the quality of the sound. i understand that learning to mix/master can't be summed up in a few sentences, so, if this is asking too much, that's cool.
just going to post it here so as not to pollute the forum.
as a jumping off point, let's start with already knowing that this one is also worse than a train wreck and go from there. haha.

https://soundcloud.com/r1381/deathwish

r1381 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:34 pm while i am taking a beating, i do really like the honesty in this forum. guessing that first track i posted was too much of a mess to warrant any specific constructive criticism.
Not at all. It would've been easy to give constructive criticism, without tearing your efforts down. It's just that Wagtunes seems to feel it appropriate to act like an arsehole because some people also tear his music apart (And watching Ol' Ben-Rofl jeering from the sidelines was definitely the pièce de résistance).

Seems self-fulfilling to me, but what do I know? :shrug:

The second piece is much better balanced than the first, and I really like the lo-fi d'n'b style. Some interesting stuff on your Soundcloud page, also :tu:

r1381 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:34 pm while i am taking a beating, i do really like the honesty in this forum. guessing that first track i posted was too much of a mess to warrant any specific constructive criticism. i am a total beginner when it comes to knowing how to mix, etc.
if you guys do have the time, here is another track that is a bit more linear, less busy....maybe it would be easier to point out specific things in the mix that need adjusting or help me understand what to pay attention to? i can take the hits if you just think it is garbage, but would be interested in knowing what could be done to improve the quality of the sound. i understand that learning to mix/master can't be summed up in a few sentences, so, if this is asking too much, that's cool.
just going to post it here so as not to pollute the forum.
as a jumping off point, let's start with already knowing that this one is also worse than a train wreck and go from there. haha.

https://soundcloud.com/r1381/deathwish
This was actually a somewhat pleasant surprise. There are still issues and if you would enable downloads, I can show you where the issues are. Right now, I can only go by my ears.

There are a few frequencies that are sticking out and need to be contained. There is also some distortion probably because there is no limiter on the output buss. This track is really hot, loudness wise.

It is however a little more even across than the other track. And musically, there are some very interesting parts here. Some of it is still a bit strange (the vocal parts) but all in all, much better than the first track.

You really only need 3 things to vastly improve this track.

1. EQ - Get a spectrum analyzer and see what frequencies are really hammering away. Cut them a bit.

2. Compression - This will get the track a bit more balanced level wise.

3. Turn down the output fader a bit. It's way too loud. You have no head room on this track. Music doesn't have to be ear shattering to be cool.

Those 3 things alone will make a vast improvement. There's more you can do but start with this at least. You'll see a big difference.

I see you got the KVR welcome. Honest opinions are a strongpoint of this forum but they sometimes get delivered like a trainwreck ha ha. So you are a mixing beginner, have fun, learn, lots of tutorials on youtube. I have been mixing for 10 years and still suck :hihi: And yet, as the years go by and keeping at it, i notice i improve. Equalizing, compression, limiters, reverb, delay you know the drill :clown: The deathwish track is infinitly better than my starting tracks and actually pretty cool. At certain points it hurts my ears due to untamed frequencies (or maybe its just my old ears, who have heard many many amazing things, too many atari teenage riot etc.)

Those Glitch drums do angry up the blood.

Yes while Wags may have been a bit blunt (blunter than usual actually - but you seemed to both be taking it in stride), you have been treated far better than many get ;-). I was as helpful as I could be in the situation and you seem to have acted on that with another track.

The things that I don't love are:
- the glitch drums but that is a me thing as they make me want to climb the walls every time.
- the bitcrushing on many things create this layer of digital broken glass across the mix that is hard to feel nice in.

Not a mix thing but related: I would like to hear more purpose to the pieces as they seem more of a workout than a journey I want to go on again & again. This is common in "modern" music so maybe you want it that way.

As for mixing, there are very few hard & fast rules as each mix is based on delivering the Story of the piece. Once you know that, it becomes a lot easier to mix. I just remixed one of mine "in the can" the Kik sounded immense (esp in the sub) but that was wrong as a Bass Thump needed to be the "impact of the piece". Rolled off the lows in the Kik that were stealing the majesty of the Bass and the mix makes better sense for the story it tells (even if some ould say it was "wrong" but it ain't their party so they can go cry at theirs not mine).

My offer is still valid if you can give me something I feel I can connect to (even if it has drums that I don't like personally as I mix to the story not my ego)
:-)

Return to “Music Cafe”