donkeyt - interference - indie rokk

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Forgotten wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:38 pm
AnX wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:23 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:33 pm
why would you? has he been a victim of drowning? :o

is that an authentic medical procedure for such a victim?
The instructors at his first aid class must have been pissing themselves laughing once he left... :hihi:
im the instructor.
tbh, i got caught with a bong at work, came up with the snpke enema idea.
luckily history had beaten me to it, so still working!

That explains this sighting in Warrington last week...

Forgotten wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:49 pm That explains this sighting in Warrington last week...

well, i wasnt going to miss the oppurtunity to shove a vuvuzela up boris johnsons arse!

Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:27 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:30 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:10 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:07 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:54 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:47 pm

If you didn't hear that the vocals were mixed too loud on the first mix, that's ok. A few of us clearly did, and I assume that Donks did, also...which is why he was able to change it.

It has nothing to do with nitpicking. If you can hear something that might be improved, you make suggestions. It's up to the musician to weigh up whether those changes are worth the effort to make. There will always be a cut-off point, where diminishing returns meet the limit of our skills. But so far, with every iteration, DT seems to have improved things.

I don't think he needs to be coddled, called a genius, or have smoke blown up his arsehole, but what do I know?
The "loud" vocals were IMO reminiscent of The Velvet Underground so didn't need changing.
:lol:
I'm really not sure where this conversation is going. I liked it so... :shrug:
It only really became a "conversation" when you accused some of us of nitpicking, as though we were only in it to get our kicks pointing out minutia for no reason.
Given the very friendly, polite context of this thread I would call the use of the word “accuse” unwarranted don’t you think ;)
Well, I wasn't suggesting we get lawyered up or anything ;) I just don't get why you put it like this:
Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:29 pmIgnore them man, they're just nitpicking
Not trying to police your language, but it didn't feel in the spirit of "friendly...". Moreover, by definition, "nitpicking" has negative connotations, in that the motivation is generally to pull something apart to the nth degree, by way of criticism. I don't think it needs clarifying that my (and I'm sure others') opinion was offered in the spirit of trying to help someone to elevate an already great track. Clearly you and Wags thought it wasn't helpful, and maybe it wasn't :shrug:

Easy now chaps...

I'm always up for a bit of constructive advice, sometimes I take it, sometimes not...

Often when you've worked on something for a bit (as I'm sure we've all experienced...) you lose focus of the whole thing and it takes someone else to point out things (as I've said before, what my ex-boss once called a, 'wood for trees situation', just before I smacked the c**t. :x :x )

I'll never take it the wrong way , even if I don't agree, and anyway, it's not the end of the bleedin' world if I am wrong - can always write another of the f**kers.. :hihi:

donkey tugger wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:45 pmas I've said before, what my ex-boss once called a, 'wood for trees situation', just before I smacked the c**t. :x :x )
Wasn't that just before you broke your nose, walking into a Fraxinus excelsior, just to prove to him that in fact you couldn't see the trees for the wood ;)

el-bo and DT both make good points. And sometimes I lose sight of this because I'm so naturally defensive. But truth is, sometimes I've had suggestions made to me that I've taken that have made a world of difference not only in the track but in everything I did from that point on.

Some of the most important tips ever given to me here.

"You need to watch out for 5k and above"

My hearing made that impossible. So now I use plugins to help me there. Made a world of difference.

"Mix is muddy. Need to watch those low mids."

Same thing. Once I learned to use an EQ, mixes improved dramatically.

"Your mix sucks. Go watch some video tutorial on how to mix."

And that is how I discovered things like Groove 3 and Warren Huart. And that was the cherry on the banana split. Had I not listened to some harsh criticism, I'd still be making bad music that sounded bad. Now I just make bad music that at least sounds good, mix wise anyway.

But eventually, as somebody pointed out, you reach a point of diminishing returns where criticisms are so minute that they don't really warrant the time it would take to spend on them to get a 1 tenth of 1 percent improvement in the sound. And that's going to vary from person to person.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:24 pm

But eventually, as somebody pointed out, you reach a point of diminishing returns where criticisms are so minute that they don't really warrant the time it would take to spend on them to get a 1 tenth of 1 percent improvement in the sound. And that's going to vary from person to person.
True, and agreed that only you yourself will know when enough tinkering is enough...but (and there's always one...) there is a cumulative effect a lot of small changes (particularly in things like volume/eq automation etc) can have on a song, particularity in pop and rock . To the casual listener they probably wouldn't be able to point out why it sounds better, but all together such little things can add up and create a lot more tension and impact than if levels etc remain static throughout.

Now that I think about it, I think the mix could use more cowbell...

Forgotten wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:48 pm Now that I think about it, I think the mix could use more cowbell...
I completely agree...

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/intercow.mp3

and sitar

Fantastic stuff as usual! What more can I say apart from, more please :wink:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

jethrobull wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:59 pm Fantastic stuff as usual! What more can I say apart from, more sitar please :wink:
:tu:

vurt wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:10 pm
jethrobull wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:59 pm Fantastic stuff as usual! What more can I say apart from, more sitar please :wink:
:tu:
:lol:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

jethrobull wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:59 pm Fantastic stuff as usual! What more can I say apart from, more please :wink:
Cheers! Soon...laziness and minor ailments permitting.

Return to “Music Cafe”