SSATB Choir

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
mediumaevum
KVRist
219 posts since 14 Feb, 2013

Post Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:54 am

https://soundcloud.com/mediumaevum-artist/sacred

I've been trying to make some dissonances and more movement in the voicing, compared to earlier compositions of mine.

What works, and what could be improved - and how?

ChameleonMusic
KVRist
76 posts since 23 Nov, 2018 from Birmingham, UK

Re: SSATB Choir

Post Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:11 am

Definitely moving in the right direction compared with some of your earlier triadic chord based pieces.

Structurally it's a bit fragmented at times, but the overall listen is an enjoyable one...some good, clever ideas in there.

Polyphonic choral works are very complex and use specific, advanced techniques and knowledge. Listening, I would say that you simply don't have those techniques or that knowledge yet and are trying to rush ahead into a world of composing that is seriously specialized and takes years of training and experimenting to grasp.

I would start with just 2 part polyphony first of all - that's complex enough at times in itself!

Personally I would maybe download some MIDI files of great polyphonic choral works and actually look at the patterns and structures on the score as well as listen to it...then you'll actually see the structural aspects.

Try writing just one melody that you're happy with - it's well structured and phrased. Then try and add a second melody that is based around little motifs and rhythmic / melodic shapes contained within that first melody.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music

mediumaevum
KVRist
219 posts since 14 Feb, 2013

Post Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:45 pm

ChameleonMusic wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:11 am
Definitely moving in the right direction compared with some of your earlier triadic chord based pieces.

Structurally it's a bit fragmented at times, but the overall listen is an enjoyable one...some good, clever ideas in there.

Polyphonic choral works are very complex and use specific, advanced techniques and knowledge. Listening, I would say that you simply don't have those techniques or that knowledge yet and are trying to rush ahead into a world of composing that is seriously specialized and takes years of training and experimenting to grasp.

I would start with just 2 part polyphony first of all - that's complex enough at times in itself!

Personally I would maybe download some MIDI files of great polyphonic choral works and actually look at the patterns and structures on the score as well as listen to it...then you'll actually see the structural aspects.

Try writing just one melody that you're happy with - it's well structured and phrased. Then try and add a second melody that is based around little motifs and rhythmic / melodic shapes contained within that first melody.
Thank you for the critique and advice. Much appreciated.

Bansaw
KVRian
893 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Post Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:56 pm

Good. Liked the swell in the latter stages.
I think you should invest in a really good choral library like Dominus Pro by Fluffy.

Return to “Music Cafe”