2 Tech-house songs. Your opinion please.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The first song. The pad is a sample labelled Bm, and the bass is a sample labelled D. I thought Bm and D are the same notes so can work together. Then I programmed the lead in Bm on Maschine Jam. It should be Bm because I selected the key/scale Bm on Maschine Jam.
Last edited by Spring Goose on Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spring Goose wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:07 pm I can jam in a scale on a keyboard.
I can do five fingers of right hand only. I could then use one finger of left hand, but not at the same time. The keys on my keyboard aren't full size keys which is a PITA.

Spring Goose wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:12 pm The first song. The pad is a sample labelled Bm, and the bass is a sample labelled D. I thought Bm and D are the same notes so can work together. Then I programmed the lead in Bm on Maschine Jam. It should be Bm because I selected the key/scale Bm on Maschine Jam.
So I checked the samples with Mixed On Key, and it says the bass loop is Em.

Spring Goose wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:12 pm The first song. The pad is a sample labelled Bm, and the bass is a sample labelled D. I thought Bm and D are the same notes so can work together. Then I programmed the lead in Bm on Maschine Jam. It should be Bm because I selected the key/scale Bm on Maschine Jam.
I checked my lead part and the notes are A B E E C# D so it is indeed Bm.

I know which note each key is on a keyboard or piano roll.

Spring Goose wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:12 pm The first song. The pad is a sample labelled Bm, and the bass is a sample labelled D. I thought Bm and D are the same notes so can work together.
They're not the same note, and the note a sample will actually playback depends on how and what you are using to trigger them. Are you pasting notes into the arrangement or using a sampler or what :?
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sorry i meant same notes of the scale.

Bm root note B then C# D E F# G A B

D root note D then E F# G A B C#

No its a loop of a pad melody and a loop of a bass melody

Sometimes I use samples but not always.

noylis wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:10 pm watch tutorials on YouTube
BTW I don't like watching videos, and have trouble concentrating on the video. I know it wasn't you (thecontrolcentre) who suggest I should watch some videos.

Had a listen on the big speakers in my living room. The lead sound is very harsh and too loud. I would try bringing it down in volume and add some delay and/or reverb to make it sit better with the background atmosphere.

Before the end where the lead sound comes back in, its too random. Sounds like someone who cant play messing about tbh. Again ... reducing its volume and adding fx may help. Drums and percussion sound a bit buried in reverb. I'd bring them forward in the mix.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:05 pm Had a listen on the big speakers in my living room. The lead sound is very harsh and too loud. I would try bringing it down in volume and add some delay and/or reverb to make it sit better with the background atmosphere.

Before the end where the lead sound comes back in, its too random. Sounds like someone who cant play messing about tbh. Again ... reducing its volume and adding fx may help. Drums and percussion sound a bit buried in reverb. I'd bring them forward in the mix.

ok thanks. :D

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:05 pm Sounds like someone who cant play messing about tbh
Probably I can't make very elaborate melodys, only these simple ones. But let's see where I go from here... :D

I've put a new version (with a different bassline, and an explanation) into the playlist.

noylis wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:10 pm Every daw has helpers so you stay in key
Does Reason? I use Reason.
noylis wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:10 pm you will make wonders very soon.
Thankyou!

Spring Goose wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:40 pm
noylis wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:10 pm Every daw has helpers so you stay in key
Does Reason? I use Reason.
noylis wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:10 pm you will make wonders very soon.
Thankyou!
I never used Reason but you can use a vst that locks you to a scale like Scaler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkuOIURxYuo

I have Scaler but I didn't know it can lock you to a scale. I'll look again! Thanks.

Return to “Music Cafe”