ScarKord - Out from the cold

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Haven't posted any new music for a long while, largely because I haven't written very much due to writers block. But, have now finished three new pieces of music in three evenings as part of Ableton's #loopathome. Of the three, this is probably my favourite so I thought I'd share it.

https://soundcloud.com/scarkord/out-from-the-cold

I've written a few articles on my blog describing the experience if anyone fancies reading more, as well as making the Ableton session available for one of the tracks (Gizmophone).

http://www.scarkord.com

Has the writers block gone I wonder? Who knows, but I'm certainly feeling very positive and motivated.

That was an inventive use of kitchen stuff. I loved the rhythm. When it first started, my thoughts were "Howard Jones - Hide And Seek" Sometimes a random few notes or sounds can dislodge writers block. I once put four fingers randomly on my keyboard and played the notes in random order. A whole piece of music came out of that that I was particularly pleased with. I enjoyed listening to this and I hope you don't get blocked again for a long time. :tu:

Cheers Erisian, glad you liked it and I love that Howard Jones track too :)

If this weekend has taught me anything, it's that I work better with a clear objective and a deadline and trying to finish a piece of music everyday had some great results. Like your random 4 notes idea too - that could be my next challenge?

Well, that was cool and different. The high bells, or whatever they are, could probably use a little EQ in the upper mids. Really muddy up there.

Anyway, hope your writer's block is gone.

Cheers wagtunes! I agree it's all a little muddy, but a lot of that is down to limitations with the source material. The bells were actually my voice, humming the sound of a freezer :) I eq'd them as best I could, but there are no higher frequencies to speak of...

I did toy with replacing them, but it wouldn't have been in the spirit of the challenge so I left them as is. Perhaps I'll rerecord it another time as I really like the tune, but I'm buzzing with lots of new ideas at the moment :)

Thanks again for the feedback.

Nice, inventive use of percussion sounds.
I saw somewhere that Depeche Mode sampled a lot of their own percussion.
Not sure if I like the humming so much, but overall enjoyed the track.

Bansaw wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:54 pm Not sure if I like the humming so much...
Me neither :) But, that was the catalyst for the whole track.

Like I say, I may well rerecord it in a more traditional fashion, so consider it a demo version :)

I think you did a great job with the humming. The wavering effect certainly gives it an "electrical" character. The percussion sounds worked out very well too. It was a very enjoyable piece of music.

I have a "Frost-free" upright fridge-freezer and the loudest noise emanating from that seems to be the fan that kicks in from time to time, although I'm sure that a contact mic would pick up a lot more.

Before the "lockdown", I used to make weekly trips through your neck of the woods, being an ex-local boy myself.

Good work :)

I wouldn't have thought the humming was human until I read it. I like using 'found' sounds occasionally. It certainly helps break out from the norm. Nice vibe to the track. Good combination of sounds.
Well done! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

seismic1 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:32 am I think you did a great job with the humming. The wavering effect certainly gives it an "electrical" character. The percussion sounds worked out very well too. It was a very enjoyable piece of music.

I have a "Frost-free" upright fridge-freezer and the loudest noise emanating from that seems to be the fan that kicks in from time to time, although I'm sure that a contact mic would pick up a lot more.

Before the "lockdown", I used to make weekly trips through your neck of the woods, being an ex-local boy myself.

Good work :)
Sorry, hadn't logged in for a while so only just seen the feedback. Glad you liked the track! Life before the lockdown sounds like a good song title ;)

Allomerus wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:06 am I wouldn't have thought the humming was human until I read it.
Man machine ;)

Return to “Music Cafe”