July Contest: Submission "motif of a well known classical piece in a song"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, GMoneh had a great Idea for July we run with that.

Incorporate a motif of a well known classical piece, and build your track around that. Take for example, the opening of Beethoven 5th, incorporate that in your trance track. Or make Tchaikovsky Waltz of the Flowers in funk style. Or put lyrics on the March of the Valkyries, and sing it with your guitar in a singer-songwriter folk style. Doesn't have to be a note by note transcription, just enough so the motif can be recognized in the song.

Time Limit 5 min

1 - Encoded in either .mp3 .ogg (.Wav .Flac) format.
In use of Wav or Flac, you need to offer Mp3 also, so people can choose.

2 - Time Limit 5 min

3 - Entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK (note: THIS MEANS A DOWNLOAD LINK) in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else). If you cant provide a direct link, please contact one of the following people listed below, they will be happy to help you out. These people provide free hosting for the purpose of this contest only! They are not a hosting service. When contacting these people, please take the effort to understand the terms and conditions they provide.

Providers:
2 - watto
3 - slartibartfast

In addition...
http://www.kara-moon.com/forum has offered "self service" space. Log into the forum to find out more.

4 - Submitted by July 26, Around 22:00 (Swedish TIME )

5 - Your entry(s) must be composed specifically for this contest (or, if a cover, arranged/recorded specifically for this contest).

6 - Your entry(s) must be created with audio plugins or software studio.

7 - Your entry should have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (eg "1909_MonDieu_OxygeneXVII.mp3"), where the artistname is the same as your KVR name. Please do not use spaces and special characters in the filename. Special considerations will be given to those that have the hosting agent change the file name.

8 - If you are going to tag your mp3--and you should--the artist name is to be the same as your KVR name, and the title tag is to be the name of your tune.

9 - One person can participate either with one entry, with one entry and one collaborative effort or with two collaborative efforts.

10 - Every submission has to be tagged with:
a) used instruments (virtual and 'real')
b) players' and singers' names (if other than entrant; collabs are allowed, sometimes encouraged, but they must be credited)
c) origin of loops and samples, if they're not free of copyright (this includes CreativeCommons material; please read and follow the license of the samples and loops you use); naming the origin of copyright free loops is also encouraged, but not mandatory. Please only use samples you are legally entitled to use.
d) name(s) of composer(s) -- if an entry is a cover this should be noted in the file name and/or the mp3 "Title" tag as well as the submission post (not everyone reads the submission posts).

11 - If there are strong doubts about the origin of the composition or parts of it, the participant should have the possibility to send a project file to the moderator, who could give it to a trustworthy person with the right host to examine it. Important: the participant should not be forced to do it.

12 - Resubmission of your track is allowed in the same post, so long you do it before the voting begins.

13 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

14 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until early a.m, October 1st. Anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified; any entrants not voting will also be disqualified.

If you have questions, send a private message to hellfog.
Last edited by Hellfog on Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp Minor, Op. 27, No. 2, First Movement by Ludwig van Beethoven. AKA the Moonlight Sonata.

Even though this is a note by note transcription, people seem to have a hard time recognizing it. I wonder why... :wink:

Furious Moonlight

Instruments:
Ample Sound Hellrazer
Synapse Audio Obsession

Well this month I was not on something else, so this happened!

I took the motif from Jean Sibelius, Karelia Suite, Intermezzo, and used it to make something new, no cover, no reinterpretation. Maybe should have not.

2007_harvon_How_not_to_do_an_instrumental

Composed on MuseScore. Then Waveform 11 + some SF2 sounds + reverb

Triple cheese, because it's cheesy.....and sloppy...pft.
Triple cheese
Acustica Nebula3 Free - Ceil /Arturia Rev-plate 140 / Cakewalk SI strings / EZ Drummer 2 / lkjb Qrange / Loudmax / PSP SpringVerb CM / Stock plug-ins / TB Eq V4 / TDR Nova GE / Tonelib GFX / Voxengo Span
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

https://soundcloud.com/eauson/satie-g

So this seemed like an interesting challenge
Took a Satie piece & reimagined it, although hopefully people will recognise.
Do people require mp3 version?

VSTs used
Clarity
Baxandall, butter comp, spiral, max back, loudmax, righteous, youlean, multi analyser
Synth 1
ReaEq, Konsol , Aura, Distance,
Piano 1
Guitar conditioner, bright ambience, flying chorus, Valhalla Supermassive, capacitor, pop
Fire bass piano
Sub only, derez2, bass drive, van delay
H drum
Symphonic ensemble, hy delay,
Sforzando
Chorus ensemble, distance , minus delay
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

https://soundcloud.com/user-2508491/moody-morning

Basically solo acoustic guitar, but I added some percussion hits and ran them through Valhallas Supermassive.

DAW:
Tracktion Waveform 11
EFFECTS:
Arturia Rev PLATE-140
Toontrack EZMix
Valhalla Supermassive
INSTRUMENTS:
Classical guitar
MIC:
Beyer Dynamic M201TG
AUDIO INTERFACE:
Audient iD4

Based on the piece "Morning Mood" from the "Peer Gynt Suite", composed by Edvard Grieg.

I Don't Care

This song is based on parts of Samuel Barber's Addagio For Strings

DAW
Tracktion 7

Instruments
Peavey electric Guitar

Plug-Ins
Addictive Drums 2
Tracktion 4-Band EQ & Low/High Pass Filter
TDR Feedback Compressor
OrilRiver
Wider
Sampletank 3
mdaEPiano
Vocal King
Synth 1
Master Mix
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

vurthovens vth symfunny.

orchestra, 8 notes.
ba ba ba baaah, ba ba ba beeerh!
morphagene.
samplitude.
guitar rig.

Well, after a hiatus of almost 4 years, I have managed to get something done for this month.

Vangelero

I have used the snare drum motif from Ravel's Bolero (and a few other subtle references - e.g. the flute, trumpets) and given it the Vangelis treatment.  There are a lot more not-so-subtle references to many of his tracks in this.

This one got the kitchen sink.

Multiple instances of Kontakt using various libraries:
  • NI's Symphonic Series (Strings, Woodwinds, Brass and Percussion)
  • Soniccouture's Geosonics
  • NI's The Grand
  • NI's Kontakt Factory Library Choir
Arturia's V Collection, including:
  • Mini V
  • CS 80 V
  • CZ V
  • CMI V
  • Solina V
East West Symphonic Choirs
East West Hollywood Strings
Serum

Very few effects, just one instance of CamelPhat 3 and one of Kilohearts Phaser. Mastered with Ozone 9.
Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.

A perfect-mix is a state of mind... :roll:

Quest for water

Starts with a Morricone tribute, then it ends with a classical Tchaikovsky Sugar Plum Fairy dance

HW:
Charvel guitar, 'Swamp' DIY Strat, Alesis solo tube pre, Shure beta58, H&K Tubemeister 5, Alesis Nanoverb, Rocktron Chameleon, Custom BEAD-bass, Zoom MS-60B, Electro Harmonix Soul Food, Behringer Model-D
SW :
Minimogue VA, NI Bandstand, NI Battery, NI Massive, Glaceverb, Camel space, KeFir, LFX-1310, Kjarehus classic bundle, Fusion Field, Nuclear Cranium

It's called IDK because it's based on… I don't know.
I must have heard it many times but I can't for the life of me remeber what it is.

Download: Ogg Vorbis | mp3

Stuff used —
sound organiser: Waveform
sound sources: Podolski, Feldspar, Oatmeal, Drumatic, Optik
sound manipulators: Glaceverb, Blockfish, Metallurgy, Multilens, DragonflyReverb, MasterMix

Return to “Music Cafe”