tempus fugit 10-2020 piano/orch/drums/bass

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kind of a finished first draft / everything [] is nailed down / remixed
Another one where the initial basis for the compo happened at once and then the struggle ensues. The particular piano was inspiring in a way no software piano has been before. Albeit I recorded it inputting with a tablet controller w a kind of rubber overlay. No matter.

this is a weird orchestration. may seem slightly deranged, beware. but piano

tempus fugit

updated^
Last edited by jancivil on Fri May 14, 2021 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

oh yeah, Absynth. ghostly and alien in a new way for me

ver' nice staging ...
the piano tone is ichi ban ...
the absynth undercurrents are enchanting ...

something about the hats and cymbals is not sitting right w/ me ...

quite enjoyed ...

Really good for a draft.
It reminds me of the weird but very cool Jerry Goldsmith, Planet of the Apes score.

thanks, guys

I tend to agree about a certain cymbal for a bar or so, it's not the right kind of washy or presence really, sticks out like a sore thumb

drums mixing here is prob'ly going to get kind of involved, particularly with a bit more of drums.
first project with MIR Pro 24, not sure based in past experience that the drums need to be in the same space, they're not exactly bone dry in the BFD3 to begin with, or need any more room. The synths are in a radically different space.

Piano is VSL Bosendorfer with the 9 extra bass notes. I've never really worked with any kind of inspiring piano, didn't grow up with pianos that were really more than props

good to hear you back to work 8)

nice and clear despite the "heavy" percussion opening. and the piano takes total centre stage, not drowned out in any way.
by heavy i mean, theres a fair bit of it, not that it sounds like heavy metal drumming or anything.

Taikos, bigass ones. I think it unsubtle, prob'ly replace

I've been at work, but I was taking five days off at a time

some very interesting elements you used to good effect.
liked the sense of space in this piece.

Did I hear a bit of a Messiaen influence in the piano part?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course...he's still one of my favorites. :love:

For a draft, this has a really good sound stage with nice separation. Thanks for sharing, oh yes I can also hear a Messian influence.
I invite you to 'voyage' over to https://adrianearnshaw.com, sign up for some fun e-mail 'blasts', and look forward to helping you launch your ears - and projects - into the stratosphere.

Well, I considered it that way when I first posted it. I had spent a long time setting it up. Not 100% on the drums yet. Pre-panning is not really how to work with MIR while it is de rigeur to mix drums in a BFD3 kind of application.
At this point there are three buses for cymbals, not putting the mono drums in there. No way to avoid pre-panning unless there was an instance for each cymbal. EDIT: or you'd turn the master output all the way down or mute it, a big sound design problem given the nature of BFD3 and its room/ambient mics paradigm, it ain't gon' work

I honestly don't have any conscious sense of influences but I'm standing on some tall shoulders to even do it.
This is one of those things where it felt like the music already existed and I uncovered it. I don't think I would pull that out of memory from some place, I don't feature myself as able to.

Almost all of the piano part happened in an improvisation, like I knew what to play. I botched one bit and had to 'write'.

thanks guys
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:00 am I've been at work, but I was taking five days off at a time
very marx.
groucho, not so much karl :hihi:

My kind of atmo. Very nice, too short now but I understand it is a draft. Definitely worth expanding.

dp

This was a nice change of pace to listen to. It loses a bit of steam as it goes on. Looking forward to hearing the final version. This sounds great already.

duplicate
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Music Cafe”