tempus fugit 10-2020 piano/orch/drums/bass

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:23 am I don't see it as at all chaotic.
Maybe the wrong choice of word?

No, it's definitely not 'chaotic' to my ear either, but it probably depends on what previous listening experience you've had maybe?

Scelsi, Ligeti are on this week's playlist along with Opeth, Zappa, Genesis, Bach and.... Can't believe I'm admitting this...Chris D'Burgh... That's my cedibilty totally f**ked on KVR! 😭
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

ChameleonMusic wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:08 am .Chris D'Burgh...
i felt a disturbance in the force.
i thought it was a planet blowing up, but no, was my cdb alarm.

vurt wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:32 am
I think I just need to add that I only listen to his early quirky 'songwriting' phase and NOT lady in Red etc etc...

I'm really not helping am I...the hole I'm in is getting deeper and deeper...soon the sun will be just a distant memory! :) At least I'll have Spanish Train / Just a Poor Boy / The Tower in my head to keep me company! :)
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

ChameleonMusic wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:42 pm
I think I just need to add that I only listen to his early quirky 'songwriting' phase and NOT lady in Red etc etc...

I'm really not helping am I...the hole I'm in is getting deeper and deeper...soon the sun will be just a distant memory! :) At least I'll have Spanish Train / Just a Poor Boy / The Tower in my head to keep me company! :)
even lady, pales in to insignificance when compared to the horror that was spaceman came travelling, ruining xmas every bloody year :x

I have seen the name Chris de Burgh, but it didn't register as anything.

The BBC has said of de Burgh: "To his millions of fans, Chris de Burgh is the ultimate romantic singer. But to many others he's a figure of fun."[24] When the staff of Melody Maker were putting together a lampoon edition of a new arts and music magazine, they chose de Burgh for the cover.[24] His signature song, "The Lady in Red", has been repeatedly voted one of the public's most disliked songs.[25][26][27] In 2006, Neil Norman, writing for The Independent, described de Burgh as "the world's naffest balladeer".[28] - wiki in a Public Profile section of the article Chris de Burgh (not his given name).

where is Burgh, anyhoo, Chris of Burgh

in the case of de burgh, i would suggest "ignorance is indeed bliss".

I'm always on the lookout for artists that people say have "flirted" with prog rock, even though said artist is usually far from it. Chris DeBurgh came up a few years ago because of the Crusader album. While I didn't feel that there was any big, noteworthy "prog" moments on the album, it was somewhat enjoyable. Back to topic, this recent mix of your piece sounds great. The space between the instruments is nice, sounds very natural and alive.

thanks
ChameleonMusic wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:08 am

...probably depends on what previous listening experience you've had maybe?
At 14 it was Electric Ladyland and Tarkus, and Lizard for me. At 15 it was 200 Motels. I was still taking LSD and putting E.L. and Tarkus on at 17.

I think the music audience may be more... guided, or conditioned in order to keep the pubic narrowly focused on the lower common denominator and the predictable than used to be.

I exerted some real control here. Also I don't tend to approach music from extramusical considerations.
There were two sort of vague influences underneath this, one was Frank Zappa's Ruth is Sleeping, the other was Boulez' 2nd Piano Sonata. But none of the constructs were taken as particular models for anything. The Boulez is dodecaphonic serialism, probably seeming chaotic but being a product of severe control.

Here's a fun fact (or a very boring one): the ending sonority makes no sense by music theory norms.
The cadence in the piano part does G - A and then the Ab in the next octave. The synth settles down into a nice G major harmony. It sounds like it resolves. I guess someone with absolute pitch is questioning this.

^reference to an edit public beards in Howl btw

jancivil wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:12 pm thanks
ChameleonMusic wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:08 am

...probably depends on what previous listening experience you've had maybe?
At 14 it was Electric Ladyland and Tarkus, and Lizard for me. At 15 it was 200 Motels. I was still taking LSD and putting E.L. and Tarkus on at 17.

I think the music audience may be more... guided, or conditioned in order to keep the pubic narrowly focused on the lower common denominator and the predictable than used to be.

I exerted some real control here. Also I don't tend to approach music from extramusical considerations.
There were two sort of vague influences underneath this, one was Frank Zappa's Ruth is Sleeping, the other was Boulez' 2nd Piano Sonata. But none of the constructs were taken as particular models for anything. The Boulez is dodecaphonic serialism, probably seeming chaotic but being a product of severe control.

Here's a fun fact (or a very boring one): the ending sonority makes no sense by music theory norms.
The cadence in the piano part does G - A and then the Ab in the next octave. The synth settles down into a nice G major harmony. It sounds like it resolves. I guess someone with absolute pitch is questioning this.
Music Theory Norms - now there's a title for an extend essay! :)

Can't remember that Zappa track...gonna have a listen now...probably take 3 hours as ever time I revisit Zappa, i remember how good some of his stuff is and go on a journey of rediscovery! :)

Boulez - yeah, that makes sense....a sort of indirect connection / influence as such...can hear it.

Only ever published one serialism piece - short duet for violin / cello back in the mid 1980s...it was total shit, but I was always amused by a review that called it "unstructured nonsense". Yep, it was utter nonsense in hindsight, but was probably the most tightly structured piece of music I've ever created! :)

SCprogfan wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:09 pm I'm always on the lookout for artists that people say have "flirted" with prog rock, even though said artist is usually far from it. Chris DeBurgh came up a few years ago because of the Crusader album. While I didn't feel that there was any big, noteworthy "prog" moments on the album, it was somewhat enjoyable. Back to topic, this recent mix of your piece sounds great. The space between the instruments is nice, sounds very natural and alive.
Crusader - good album...yeah, an edge of Prog at times...never thought of that before... (but with some seriously nonsensical lyrics in that title suite of tracks)...same with 'Revolution' on 'The Getaway'.

'Girl With April in Her Eyes' - classic in any one's catalogue!

vurt wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:45 pm
ChameleonMusic wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:42 pm

even lady, pales in to insignificance when compared to the horror that was spaceman came travelling, ruining xmas every bloody year :x
Maaaan, don't dis the Spaceman! :)

That song is a bloody GodSend to a Music teacher at Christmas...

Easy to play by ear at the piano.
Get a decent guitarist to add some extra texture here and there.
Vocal soloists for the verses.
Dozy choir on the chorus with no words to learn...Lallalalalalalllallallallallallallalla

When I was at CCM, I was just a guitar major, I took a couple of elective kind of courses in the realm of 'composition'. One was I think just called the composition elective course. But, all it was was ok, go write this dodecaphonic serialist exercise and be graded on your handling of rows.
I struggled with that as a concept and finally refused, and dropped the course. But, I worked kind of hard at it before I said, yeah, no, I have a good GPA going and this guy is, I don't trust this criteria anyway, I could get a C or some shit. So, I got to where I can make shit up live, you don't know unless I write it out it's not my totally excellent handling of teh rows. I lived later with a group in the 1980s called 12 Tone Records actually, we were free improvisers in the avant-garde modi operandi. You should hear our phone machine greetings of that time.

Anyway, Zappa talking about his early development, he could draw quite well as a child and originally wanted to equate in his mind how it looks to how it should sound. Until he heard it, the dots and the maths (attracted to 12-tone as though the maths were some guarantee) were not really getting it done.

But I never 'got' the performances particularly of Schoenberg I was privy to as a student, and what it is is this neurotic or sick aspect to it. I think that's a choice, now that I heard more, by people with I guess a more objective approach to it (cf., Webern). But I wanted something more with a sense of humor out of that fabric.

check out the lick on the Fender bass at 0:55. Still makes me laugh.
https://youtu.be/7ECKuInlCiU

film by Roger Corman, "The Wasp Woman" (which for being as cheap as it is, is shot incredibly well)

That was ace - reminds me of an experimental piece I saw performed on bbc proms last night. Except this was about 3 hours shorter lol.

this is rather short, usually they'll get to be the length of a proper 45RPM single

thanks for stopping by

Return to “Music Cafe”