Symphony Nr. 1 ("cut-up escape") - movement 2 |update: + now with movement 3 + 4

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I now added the 3d movement here also.

This is the shortest one
(with some maybe naive old school romantic inside; 4 parts, different moods)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysKox073Y8c

https://sonicensemble.bandcamp.com/track/3rd-movement
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

There's lovely writing during some passages, and it seems like it moves through a lot of textures in five minutes. The stylistic switch at 2:32 was surprising - I thought we were headed into Morricone country but you settled into another nice groove recalling the opening (I was going to call it a "Soviet" groove). The switch at 3:39 is less convincing. The writing is fine, I'm just not fond of the timbre in the context.

Are you a fan of the late 19th / early 20th century Russian symphonists ? Shortly after the beginning I expected a chorus on Old Slavonic. :)

Your orchestration is well-composed throughout. However, I'd like to hear more warmth from that flute (?) at 0:33. Some more (any ?) vibrato would lessen the contrast between it and the horns & reeds (which sound very good). And I admit I'm still trying to assimilate what's going on after 3:39.

Impressive work that improves on repeated listening. Excellent recording and musical use of the sounds. Thanks for sharing !

Best regards,

dp

StudioDave wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:02 pm There's lovely writing during some passages, and it seems like it moves through a lot of textures in five minutes. The stylistic switch at 2:32 was surprising - I thought we were headed into Morricone country but you settled into another nice groove recalling the opening (I was going to call it a "Soviet" groove). The switch at 3:39 is less convincing. The writing is fine, I'm just not fond of the timbre in the context.

Are you a fan of the late 19th / early 20th century Russian symphonists ? Shortly after the beginning I expected a chorus on Old Slavonic. :)

Your orchestration is well-composed throughout. However, I'd like to hear more warmth from that flute (?) at 0:33. Some more (any ?) vibrato would lessen the contrast between it and the horns & reeds (which sound very good). And I admit I'm still trying to assimilate what's going on after 3:39.

Impressive work that improves on repeated listening. Excellent recording and musical use of the sounds. Thanks for sharing !

Best regards,

dp
Hey,

thank you lots for taking your time to listen and especially for your impressions - really appreciated :)

And also for the term "Soviet Groove". I guess those parts can indeed appear especially for something out of the older "romantic" tutti orchestra playing. Between them the other part indeed has another timbre.

I tried to put all those different together, but - as you mentioned - there are some breakings - part two is more chamberish and the latest part, too. I can understand, that some transitions may seem hard, indeed. Nevertheless I tried to put all together into a development of themes which fitted for my humble aiming- so it may be irritating at some transitions. Which makes me absolutely thankful that you brought this up.

This movement is for me someways decently reminiscent to the romantic era of classical music in some allusions - but this also was not conscious while making, just after looking at it afterwards.

Some Russian composers I listened a lot to.... : Prokofjew, Mussorgski, Rachmaninow, Rimski-Korsakow.

I also love (not only for the sometimes simple, clear melodies) Grieg, Sibelius, Smetana and Dvořák

cheers and merry christmas :)

t
Symphony Nr.1

Had a re-listen to 1 and 2 alongside 3...

I think 3 is my favourite so far... More melody driven than the first two and a little bit more development of raw ideas.

All three provide some great textural moments and are an interesting listen, but I think that personally I'm just not a great fan of the collage approach... I think I always look for a more clearly defined structure of some sort as a framework for evolving / morphing motifs and ideas.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Movement 3
Enjoyable to listen to interesting composition and arrangement. Good job.

ChameleonMusic wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:56 pm Had a re-listen to 1 and 2 alongside 3...

I think 3 is my favourite so far... More melody driven than the first two and a little bit more development of raw ideas.

All three provide some great textural moments and are an interesting listen, but I think that personally I'm just not a great fan of the collage approach... I think I always look for a more clearly defined structure of some sort as a framework for evolving / morphing motifs and ideas.
Thanks for giving the whole a re-listening. I guess melodies are more in part 1 and 3.
And I absolutely get your point; I tried curating the parts for the movements by their "mood" (which fits best to the next?) trying to give some narration this way.
Symphony Nr.1

markkuja wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:34 pm Movement 3
Enjoyable to listen to interesting composition and arrangement. Good job.
Thanks Markku

:)
Symphony Nr.1

thomekk wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:05 pm
ChameleonMusic wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:56 pm Had a re-listen to 1 and 2 alongside 3...

Thanks for giving the whole a re-listening. I guess melodies are more in part 1 and 3.
And I absolutely get your point; I tried curating the parts for the movements by their "mood" (which fits best to the next?) trying to give some narration this way.
I think the narrative flow is also a strong point for me throughout the 3 movements... Definitely create pictures / stories in my head.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

ChameleonMusic wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:38 pm
thomekk wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:05 pm

I think the narrative flow is also a strong point for me throughout the 3 movements... Definitely create pictures / stories in my head.
If it can evoke pictures / stories then I'm happy (!) - it's still often a mysterium to me when this happens (for myself or for others).
Btw. also interesting when watching movies - there can be music which adds dimensions together with the pictures, when it "works" - on the other hand it can happen, that some score comes in which distract. But without real pictures of course another story...
Symphony Nr.1

I listened to both. Interesting and a little on the weird side for sure.

I’d call it maybe avant-garde sound track fusion. I think I can hear some Stockhausen influences.

:tu:

fastlanephil wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:08 am I listened to both. Interesting and a little on the weird side for sure.

I’d call it maybe avant-garde sound track fusion. I think I can hear some Stockhausen influences.

:tu:
Merci,

Fusion I can understand (though not in that sense as it is bound the 70s and Jazzrock), it's quite difficult sometimes to "frame" things adequate.
For the Stockhausen-part I don't know - I have an idea what he did and about the ideas (knowing some music of course) - I think for myself this here is lots more conventional - but what do I know.
Symphony Nr.1

Now finally with movement 4 (5 parts, first one with real guitar, the laters somewhat romantic again)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=057_8z9rIUI

https://sonicensemble.bandcamp.com/track/4th-movement

cheers :)
Symphony Nr.1

Movement 4: Again , very interesting and enjoyable...

Possibly this is the most dramatic one with some serious 'highs' and 'lows' in there!?

Not sure how well it fitted with the rest...listened to 3 and then 4 afterwards...then again this is a collage approach so it's probably just the way my head works! :)

Merci beaucoup, monsieur :)

great that you listened again especially for finding the passage between.
I'm guilty for thinking that it all works concerning the moodal transitions or even breakups, but it's really an emotional, non-academic approach for me. May it be a collage or connected collection
Symphony Nr.1

Return to “Music Cafe”