Welcome

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi KVR! Just finished my latest song.

https://soundcloud.com/opal-two/welcome-binaural

I made this track with the motif "alien lullaby," and I'm pretty satisfied with the composition and arrangement.

However, this was my first ever attempt at ambisonic mixing. It was really hard! Felt like everything I knew about panning and width went out the window. I'm not sure I did a good job on the mix in the end.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the song, and I may not get an answer here, but... how the heck do I play surround sound music on Windows anyway? Reaper plays it back nicely on my Audeze Mobius cans, and I bounced a 7.1 AAC from it, but I can't find a single other program that will play that file. I don't really want to unleash a weird format on KVR without even being able to play it myself and be sure it works, so I'm just sharing the stereo version for now!

Interesting track. Not the usual stuff we get around here. Kept me interested all the way through and the mix is good. Can't ask for more than that.

2017: Windows 10’s 'Creators' Update added support for Dolby Atmos positional sound. This includes two things: Support for Dolby Atmos hardware and virtual Dolby Atmos sound that works in any pair of headphones. It's all easily accessible from Control Panel.

Personally, apart from when I'm being paid to do audio game design, I avoid surround sound, ambisonic, binaural like the plague...the immense hassle outweighs the rewards for pure audio listening...very, very few will appreciate it or even be able to access it meaningfully.

The piece is definitely interesting...enjoyed it...listened twice!

Plenty of variation in certain ways - particularly tempo and general levels of energy + some development of the raw musical ideas.

But, I had a couple of minor issues with it...

TIMBRES - all the sounds are very similar in certain ways...very high frequency rich, often quite bell-like and resonant. I wanted a few more contrasting sounds in there at times.

THE MIX - overall, it's very listenable, but all the energy is in the mids (600 - 800Hz area?) and the highs (around 3- 5kHz?)..haven't analysed it...just guessing the exact frequencies. Lower mids / bass is quite empty in comparison which makes it quite a 'jangly' listen over a whole piece.
Last edited by ChameleonMusic on Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Thanks for your feedback!

Hmm, I'm not sure Dolby Atmos works with the Audeze. They have a FAQ page on it which rather evasively sidesteps the question and says to use Waves NX instead. I'll give it a try though and chase up their support too. Thanks for pointing that out.

I definitely get the immense hassle part now. I do feel like it expanded my horizons working in 3D once, but I may not keep doing it... or at least not entertain any plans of downmixing from it to anything besides stereo.

Very valid criticisms - I based this arrangement somewhat on a reference track, but that track was built around a female vocalist and that helped spread things both out timbre and frequency-wise (my choir synth didn't fill her boots, particularly because I didn't want to put it front and center and call the listener's attention to its synthiness.)

interesting, enjoyable listen. really dug the drum variations and fills. well done :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

ChameleonMusic wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:58 pm THE MIX - overall, it's very listenable, but all the energy is in the mids (600 - 800Hz area?) and the highs (around 3- 5kHz?)..
yup, i found the crash to be a bit over emphasized in the mix. the balance factor :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Cool song, much dedication and work behind.

Looking forward to more tracks!

Return to “Music Cafe”