3am - mosstone experiments (doodles with diminutive synths)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/justin3am/mosstone-exp-01
https://soundcloud.com/justin3am/mosstone-exp-02

and a bonus...
https://soundcloud.com/justin3am/lavender

The first two are my first recordings with two synths from Lorre-Mill, the Double Knot and Mosstone. They are very simple instruments but t hey sound great and are a lot of fun to play. I also used 0-Coast and Strega from Make Noise and 0-Ctrl controls the whole patch.

The third is just a short piece featuring 0-Coast, 0-Ctrl and Strega.

I don't really have an understanding of modular/patchable hardware, so I just sat back and listened to your Mosstone pieces. I figured out that there was some sort of rhythmic contribution from somewhere in your setup, and after going to the lorre-mill website, I discovered a video from Allieway Audio which gave a mostly understandable explanation of the Double Knot and its function and capabilities (including a reference to 27/8 time signature)! Then your pieces made a lot more sense.

"Lavender" was right up my street. I like the effects that the Strega provides, and I think this music would work well in a film soundtrack. I watched one of Cortini's video demos where he played three guitar parts and put them through the Strega, to create an instant NIИ intro.

Strega is an Italian liqueur which I used to drink back in the day, just like Don Vito Corleone.

Good work :)

"Lavender" is more up my alley as well, though the Double Knot and Mosstone certainly have some interesting rhythmic elements, their 'sound' palette is something I tend to run through a sample-n-hold, envelope follower, or modulate other sounds with, using a delay, and a wave folder, etc, or even put them through Paul-stretch, or Hourglass, or another granular processor. I do tend to listen to other peoples stuff, and almost habitually imagine what I would run it (or various parts of it) through, to generate other sounds, which I can "hear". I'm sure I'm not the only one. :oops: ... Fun stuff.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Thanks for listening!
The Allieway Audio videos are great. The first patches I put together were a variations of the patches she created in those videos. It really helped to solidify my understanding of these synths.
I have a soft spot for minimalism, which is almost as strong as my compulsion toward maximalism. I'm sure I'll run this stuff through my H9000 and a whole slew of samplers at some point but I'm having a lot of fun getting to know these instruments on their own. The Mosstone and Double Knot are probably going to feature heavily on my next solo release, and I'm sure they'll provide ample sampler food for projects to come. I do sometimes think in terms of "what if I had the stems" when I listen to other people's music. I've been known to do the odd remix (emphasis on 'odd') from time to time.

One thing that I really love about these Lorre-Mill synths, is that the un-shrowded banana jacks let you kind of preview a patch by touching the plug to the jack. I can also connect dummy plugs to the jacks and make connections with my finger tips, much like Strega.

I think I'll hook the Mosstone up to my Field Kit FX later.

I wonder if I'm the only one who hears 'Strega' like the opening screen on the early Sonic the Hedgehog games.

Main thing for me is...

1) the sounds 'grabbed' me.

2) They created a narrative in my head...weird one, maybe, but it was there!

Good listen!
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Hey Justin, been a while. Hope all is well there :)

Sounds like you were having fun with these! I also particularly enjoyed "Lavender," but the Mosstone tracks were good too. Some really cool sounds in there.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

the mosstones are nice sounding machines!
very playful rhythms and bloops n bleeps :ud:

as for strega, still cant find one in stock, at a reasonable price :cry:
eg: found somewhere for around 450, no stock for a bit...
or for 700 i could have one tomorrow :x
not quite that desperate thanks mate :lol:
there are more around 520, but again, im more inclined to wait for the 450, im not a rich man :cry:

but one day!!!

also, isnt it witch/vampire? like stregoy/stregoi?

sounds like it could be witchy,, very haunting! :o 8)

Yeah, Strega's Italian for witch. The bit about alchemy really does start to make sense when you are using. The way the electrical components work with your body in the circuit and the way it takes something and gives something else back, often unrecognizable. I'm gonna start using lizards and fruit rinds as conductors, to see if I get a chimera.

I think stock shortages are going to get worse before they get better. Parts shortages are starting to hit mfgs big and small. Bigger companies probably have the parts they need in stock, to keep making stuff for a bit, but lagging effects will be felt for the next year or two at least. Second hand sellers are taking advantage of the scarcity, which bums me out but that's how it goes.

ChameleonMusic wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:00 pm Main thing for me is...

1) the sounds 'grabbed' me.

2) They created a narrative in my head...weird one, maybe, but it was there!

Good listen!
Thanks. I'm glad that the pieces spoke to you. Even when working with minimal sounds, I try to come up with compositional changes to keep things interesting.
While the sounds are simple, they use an interesting character. While everything was mixed into a cheap pedal mixer, the output was recoded through a Neve pre and EQ. The cheap mixer added a louder noise floor which helped glue the synths together a bit better. I used a stereo spring reverb as a send to give it some depth and then used the API 2500/5500 on the mix bus. This combo can make anything sound huge and in-your-face.

Gonna check this out later (I'm writing so I can navigate back to this to hear later).

*and agreed about eventual stock shortages for Strega. I get the sense they are now working to fill orders for their other modules and 0-Coast/0-Ctrl. Here is Strega is easily found for regular price (I know not helpful).

synthgeek wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:39 am Hey Justin, been a while. Hope all is well there :)

Sounds like you were having fun with these! I also particularly enjoyed "Lavender," but the Mosstone tracks were good too. Some really cool sounds in there.
It's good to hear from you! Thanks for listening.
Doing well enough, all things considered. :party:

ill just have to pull the trigger as soon as i see one i guess, not for ludicrous money, but push for the round 500 :cry:

i remember seeing a guy use worm on circuit boards :o
bit cruel but made interesting glitchy sounds...

elxsound wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:48 pm Gonna check this out later (I'm writing so I can navigate back to this to hear later).

*and agreed about eventual stock shortages for Strega. I get the sense they are now working to fill orders for their other modules and 0-Coast/0-Ctrl. Here is Strega is easily found for regular price (I know not helpful).
i could get an 0coast or 0control straightaway :lol:
dont want them!!

you n justin have had your fun now, you should both send me yours :D
:hihi:

LOLOLOL!
I'll get right on that... fair trade for some Bugbrand, right?

justin3am wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:39 pm LOLOLOL!
I'll get right on that... fair trade for some Bugbrand, right?
for yours and his, i might consider the weevils :lol:

just have to keep my eye on a few places, the cash is sat there, so its not a big problem if one turns up. despite my fridges best efforts to ruin my plans :x

Return to “Music Cafe”