Neo-Medieval/Medieval Fantasy Music

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

One of my first attempts in this genre, let me know how you like it!

Medieval Fantasy Music No.2, Female Voice, Nyckelharpa , Flute + Frame Drum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7nHRqGWpaw

Glad to see a lot more folk/medieval/fantasy stuff around here :)

Good old Era II

Thanks for your reply, good to know that i am not alone :)

Very "viking-ish". I like it, though I miss some more variation, in melody and development + a bit of counterpoint. I know they claim that counterpoint wasn't used until the late middle ages, but I think especially in medieval folk music, when you have multiple players, some would inevitably try something different when playing together, instead of playing in unison. I think it must have been very common, but we'll probably never know for sure.

Ie. while the nyckelharpa is playing, let the flute play something else, with a horizontal approach to harmony, rather than vertical.

Yes, it needs more variation, I recognized now, I will work on that!
I will also try to implement the "counterpoint-thing" ;-) within my next tracks, sounds interesting.
I don't care about the claim that counterpoint wasn't used in that time period, I think you are right with your belief
Thank you very much, this was very helpful!
Now I will listen to some of your tracks, I like the medieval theme very much :-)

mediumaevum wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:53 pm Very "viking-ish". I like it, though I miss some more variation, in melody and development + a bit of counterpoint. I know they claim that counterpoint wasn't used until the late middle ages, but I think especially in medieval folk music, when you have multiple players, some would inevitably try something different when playing together, instead of playing in unison. I think it must have been very common, but we'll probably never know for sure.

Ie. while the nyckelharpa is playing, let the flute play something else, with a horizontal approach to harmony, rather than vertical.
This is a bit off-topic I guess, but I personally believe there was a lot more understanding of harmony from these people than they are given credit for.

Drone accompaniment was a thing. There's no way no one was like "Hey let's try changing the drone note in the middle of the piece or maybe at regular intervals" for example.

The Church and later, rich people associated with the church had a monopoly on information about how to compose music but that doesn't mean the information was representative of common knowledge among peasants.

I mean they didn't allow instruments for centuries because it, like dancing, was a "pagan" thing...

Its ok. I'm looking for the vocal melody to develop, but it doesn't. Its all a bit one-dimensional.
You should be looking to add instruments lines that compliment the melody and add dimension.
As mentioned above, look into counter melody / call and response etc. to liven up your arrangement.

Bansaw wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:48 am Its ok. I'm looking for the vocal melody to develop, but it doesn't. Its all a bit one-dimensional.
You should be looking to add instruments lines that compliment the melody and add dimension.
As mentioned above, look into counter melody / call and response etc. to liven up your arrangement.
Thank you, I have recognized that's the problem with most of my tracks :roll:
I will practice, practice, practice......
That's what Schroeder (Peanuts) said to Lucy, when she asked him how he could play Beethoven on a toy-piano with the black keys only painted on, if I remember right..... :lol:

Return to “Music Cafe”