Got time for a 1:30 Filmscoring thing?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

havn’t posted here for quite a while.

I hope you enjoy this little tune:

[updated] & an additional variation:

http://home.arcor.de/captor/T2-Song(final3).mp3

http://home.arcor.de/captor/T2-Song(var).mp3

It’s mainly done with the GPO, some additional strings from primesounds (sessionstrings) & the free splendid piano soundfont. The cymbal squeaks at the end are from the music tech magazine cd april 2004.

Thanks for all kind of feedback. 8)
Last edited by TrekStar on Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Really cool stuff, TrekStar. Very well done.

The sounds used here are very realistic. I was already considering GPO; this makes me want it even more (although I still wonder if I really need it; I've squeaked by with free SF2's and SampleTank 2's practically non-existant orchestral capabilities so far :P). Anyway, a really great piece; very sentimental at times, very exciting at others. Short, sweet, fun to listen to :D

It's for a film score, you say? What kind of film?

Top class Rellik. Great composition with really good variation and drama. Only small gripe is I think there is a bit too much reverb on some instruments, e.g. the piano at about 0:40. You made GPO shine well with your skills.

Sepheritoh wrote:Top class TrekStar. Great composition with really good variation and drama. Only small gripe is I think there is a bit too much reverb on some instruments, e.g. the piano at about 0:40. You made GPO shine well with your skills.

Wow this is nice, but that verb on the piano killed it
KVR, my adult playground.
Please, call me Brice.

It's great, but if I wanted to nitpick, I'd say it sounds as if the piano and the orchestra were recorded in separate places (and they probably were, originally)

Not sure of the technically-correct way to describe that, 'audio space mismatch', maybe. Noticeably different reverb/eq, etc.

It's still excellent, in any case.

Top class TrekStar. Great composition with really good variation and drama. Only small gripe is I think there is a bit too much reverb on some instruments, e.g. the piano at about 0:40. You made GPO shine well with your skills

:oops:

:D

:idiot: :dog:

I’ve done another variation of the theme and tried to fix the piano reverb issue. The disproportionate reverb of the piano was my intention in order to give the piano the character of a distant thought or remembrance. But you were right with your hints....so I tried to improve it with subtle eq and pan + mix adaptions. I would like to keep that piano so distant. But I am very open for advice to optimize that effect without loosing the general cohesion.

So here is the update and another variation theme:

http://home.arcor.de/captor/T2-Song(final3).mp3

http://home.arcor.de/captor/T2-Song(var).mp3

@Rellik: thanks a lot for ur friendly words and the bumps! :D . This music is no real job for a movie...I just did it for fun and titled it in that way to discribe the genre.

@Sepheritoh: thanks for listening! Glad u like. Nevermind because of the name confusion...this can happen in the internet with all of these aliases... :)

@Mighty_Hero: thanks for ur feedback. I am working on that piano reverb thing.

@lo3q: thanks for listening. You are probably right with your conclusions about the reverb. Updates are in work :hihi:

TrekStar wrote: my intention in order to give the piano the character of a distant thought or remembrance.
There are many tricks to achieve a distant sound you could experiement with. Have you tried to put a little delay on the piano with a lot less reverb to give it the "distant" feel. Try the delay at triplets timing. Also, you can try to increase the pre-delay of the reverb instead of adding more reverb as a possible trick or put some eq (high cut) on the reverb return.

Beautiful work Trekstar, it sounds wonderful; you've done a great job with GPO there.

Very impressive work! Maybe the reverb isn't dead on but you made GPO sound great here 8)
Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist.

beautiful! I had chills and a little nostalgic mistiness :)

now, don't you have some movies to score?

:hihi:
5 twelve

Oh! This is REALLY nice! I wouldn't mind a longer version at all!
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

I listened to the old and new versions (2 & 3) consecutively, and had great difficulty hearing the difference between them. That probably says something about my ears, or my cheap headphones... so you should take my opinions with a pinch of salt...

But I wonder if there's a problem with the piano soundfont you're using, it still sounds muffled somehow, (almost like a 22 or 24khz sample, even). Not sure where it's from, but you said in your original post that it was a free soundfont, so I assume it isn't the piano included with GPO. In that case, maybe the GPO piano would fit better in the mix?

Return to “Music Cafe”