Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.1 now available

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
roelkers
KVRer
8 posts since 29 Jan, 2019

Post Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:19 am

Would be awesome if it was possible to overwrite/delete patterns in the poly step sequencer. just mentioning this again so it's not forgotten ;-)
or just deleting all notes on a step would already work

colin@loomer
KVRAF
1738 posts since 25 Aug, 2003 from Bournemouth, UK

Re: Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.1 now available

Post Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:31 am

roelkers wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:19 am
Would be awesome if it was possible to overwrite/delete patterns in the poly step sequencer. just mentioning this again so it's not forgotten ;-)
or just deleting all notes on a step would already work
Thanks! I hadn't forgotten, but the occasional reminder that people are still wanting certain features is always helpful when I'm scheduling development.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Taizong
KVRer
5 posts since 17 Mar, 2015

Re: Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.1 now available

Post Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:23 pm

I've been trying out the beta for a few days and plan to buy in the near future. Great piece of software and really well designed.

I am currently having a problem with my MIDI keyboards being recognised in Architect. No problems in other software I use. I have two Behringer UMX610 keyboards which connect to the computer via USB. Architect detects either or both when they are powered on, and they each get an (identical) entry in the devices list. However, it's hit or miss as to whether I can activate the green tick box for either or both keyboards in the list. It's hard to tell what's going on with them because the behaviour seems erratic. One of the keyboards is rarely able to be activated, whereas the other one often can be. Sometimes when the latter one is working then I can get Architect to activate the other one too, but even if the green tick is present, Architect doesn't necessarily receive MIDI data from it. I have tried with only one of the keyboards plugged into USB at a time, but this doesn't seem to make any difference.

Since I don't have this problem with other programmes (e.g. Reaper) I wonder if there's something amiss in Architect.

Grateful for any help.

Edit: I've just realised that Reaper has a similar issue - it will only recognise one of the UMX610s, the one with the higher "ID number". This ID can be changed in Reaper, but only the higher of the two will be recognised. However, at least Reaper always recognises one of the keyboards. I would be happy if Architect did the same...

colin@loomer
KVRAF
1738 posts since 25 Aug, 2003 from Bournemouth, UK

Re: Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.1 now available

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:43 am

That is bizarre. I thought originally it may be an issue when two devices have the same name, but the fact that you've tried with only one plugged in suggests this is not the case at all. On saying that, there are plenty of places where I use names for devices internally with the assumption they would be unique, and your post has made me realise that that isn't a valid assumption at all - I think I'll need to add aliases for duplicate names.

But back to your issue, what happens if have only one UMX610 plugged in when you start Architect, effectively taking the twin device out of the equation (for now.)
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Taizong
KVRer
5 posts since 17 Mar, 2015

Re: Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.1 now available

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:00 am

colin@loomer wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:43 am
That is bizarre. I thought originally it may be an issue when two devices have the same name, but the fact that you've tried with only one plugged in suggests this is not the case at all. On saying that, there are plenty of places where I use names for devices internally with the assumption they would be unique, and your post has made me realise that that isn't a valid assumption at all - I think I'll need to add aliases for duplicate names.

But back to your issue, what happens if have only one UMX610 plugged in when you start Architect, effectively taking the twin device out of the equation (for now.)
Thanks for your reply, Colin. The behaviour when only one of the keyboards is plugged in is that the single UMX610 shows up in the Preferences>MIDI inputs list, and I can focus the entry (blue box around it) but I can't select it (green tick circle). The MIDI activity light in the bottom-right corner of the main window doesn't show any activity when I send MIDI from the keyboard.

colin@loomer
KVRAF
1738 posts since 25 Aug, 2003 from Bournemouth, UK

Re: Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.1 now available

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:07 am

Taizong wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:00 am
Thanks for your reply, Colin. The behaviour when only one of the keyboards is plugged in is that the single UMX610 shows up in the Preferences>MIDI inputs list, and I can focus the entry (blue box around it) but I can't select it (green tick circle). The MIDI activity light in the bottom-right corner of the main window doesn't show any activity when I send MIDI from the keyboard.
Curiouser and curiouser. I don't have that exact keyboard around to test on, but I'll try to duplicate your setup and see where it takes me. Which operating system are you using? And could you either let me know the exact name of the keyboard as it appears in the MIDI device list (including capital letters, etc), or even better, post a screenshot of the afformentioned device list?

Thanks.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Taizong
KVRer
5 posts since 17 Mar, 2015

Re: Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.1 now available

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:08 am

colin@loomer wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:07 am
Taizong wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:00 am
Thanks for your reply, Colin. The behaviour when only one of the keyboards is plugged in is that the single UMX610 shows up in the Preferences>MIDI inputs list, and I can focus the entry (blue box around it) but I can't select it (green tick circle). The MIDI activity light in the bottom-right corner of the main window doesn't show any activity when I send MIDI from the keyboard.
Curiouser and curiouser. I don't have that exact keyboard around to test on, but I'll try to duplicate your setup and see where it takes me. Which operating system are you using? And could you either let me know the exact name of the keyboard as it appears in the MIDI device list (including capital letters, etc), or even better, post a screenshot of the afformentioned device list?

Thanks.
I'm on Win 10 64bit. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to post a screenshot (happy to email it to you if that would be useful, or even screen share), but the exact name of the keyboard as it appears is "UMX 610" (without the quotes). The entire MIDI Inputs list looks like this:

LoopBe Internal MIDI
UMX 610
UMX 610

Looking at the activity monitor in MIDI-Ox I see that one keyboard is showing as "In 2" (not sure if this means port, or what), and the other one is "In 3". They are both transmitting on channel 1.

colin@loomer
KVRAF
1738 posts since 25 Aug, 2003 from Bournemouth, UK

Re: Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.1 now available

Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:09 am

Thanks for the additional info. It doesn't appear to be related to the names specifically, from what I can tell, but further investigation is required by me at this point.

If I can't manage to get the issue to manifest on any of my development or test machines, and if I am unable to source a UMX610, would you be happy to run a debug build with additional logging on your machine? (As an aside, I am travelling for a few days so likely won't get a chance to dive deeply into this until the end of the week. Hope that's OK?)
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Taizong
KVRer
5 posts since 17 Mar, 2015

Re: Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.1 now available

Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:34 pm

Yes, that's fine. Happy to do what I can to get to the bottom of this problem.

Thanks

Return to “Loomer”