Feature Requests for Architect. Love Midi! Love Architect!!

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

artfwo wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:28 am OSC receive (and send) modules please?
Yes, I've prototyped OSC support throughout: modules, and mapping sources and destinations too.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

I recognize that Architect isn't intended for a lot of audio processing, but if it isn't time-intensive to implement, it'd be nice to have the ability to route audio from one plugin to another plugin's sidechain input.

More flexible routing is already on the roadmap. But as it, it's still possible to route to the first and from the last plug-in on a track by using the track input and output, and you can use that to tap audio into a side chain.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Ah! I see now how that works. That's great, thanks!

Great, thanks for letting me know you got it working!

Purchased Architect a couple weeks ago, and I adore it!

One feature I really like about Numerology (and hardware modular seqs) is the ability to manually clock a sequencer. I figured out that I can manually trigger a step by modulating "Play Step" and then "Play Pattern Control" with the "Pattern Control" type set to "One-Step" (see attached image). BUT the problem is, if you re-trigger it to quickly, it will play the note in the same position instead of stepping to the next note, and I'm not sure how to change this, other than to increase clock divisions so the note durations are always shorter than the distance between incoming signals.

I have two feature ideas:

A note table. This would be a little bit like the "numeric table" that exists, but whose appearance looks a little bit like the piano roll in the "mono step seq". This would allow for reading and writing of note values for the purposes of making more sophisticated sequencers that could be manually clocked.

Output pattern data (this might already be possible). Allow for the dumping of the pattern's notes (possibly as a vector?). This could be used to make performance tools which need to read an entire pattern, which could be used for making accompaniment generators and arps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rjungemann wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:37 pm Purchased Architect a couple weeks ago, and I adore it!
Thanks, much appreciated.
One feature I really like about Numerology (and hardware modular seqs) is the ability to manually clock a sequencer...
I guess your goal here is to have a sequencer that, when it receives a signal of some sort, moves onto the next step, but doesn't quantise like the the one-step mode does? Have you got an example of a hardware sequencer that your feel handles this feature particularly well, so that I may study it for reference?
A note table. This would be a little bit like the "numeric table" that exists, but whose appearance looks a little bit like the piano roll in the "mono step seq". This would allow for reading and writing of note values for the purposes of making more sophisticated sequencers that could be manually clocked.

Absolutely belting idea: I've always used multiple numeric tables for poly sequences, which does work but need more routing than is probably sensible. And having a note table fits nicely into Architect's existing tables.
Output pattern data (this might already be possible). Allow for the dumping of the pattern's notes (possibly as a vector?). This could be used to make performance tools which need to read an entire pattern, which could be used for making accompaniment generators and arps.
I do have the code written to do the output already, but never found a decent way to expose the feature. The best solution I had was to have per-row 'read' and 'output' inlets - like the table module - but I was worried about having too many additional pins. Thinking about it, not really an issue I guess, as unused pins are hidden by default.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Thank you for responding, Colin!

Basically what I was trying to, is to use various components in the panel view to build a sequencer, but I thought it would be neat to be able to launch a clip and have the components in the panel view be able to read the data from the step sequencer.

I do like the idea of similar inlets to the table components, to read a row's value (or maybe a MIDI note?), at a given index, on-demand (if I'm understanding right). Another way I was thinking about, is extend the Lua API to allow for querying for nodes and for reading their attributes, but I know that is probably a big task.

All of the above are just possible ideas. I've been getting great results laying out and wiring up components with the panel and graph views, and I'm only just now getting really familiar with the rest of Architect!
wrote:Have you got an example of a hardware sequencer that your feel handles this feature particularly well, so that I may study it for reference?
A sequencer that I really like is the SH-101 sequencer. You can enter in a sequence 1-32 steps in length (with ties and rests), and it will cycle through the notes. It can be set to either step once per cycle of the internal LFO, or one step per pulse it receives from the ext clock in. A drawback of this style of sequencer is that you have to input the sequence one note at a time, in order, and that it's non-visual. You can see an example of an SH-101 being triggered by irregular pulses here https://cdm.link/2017/12/quick-tip-rola ... gger-work/ (https://cdm.link/2017/12/quick-tip-roland-sh-01a-tr-08-trigger-work/)

With modular synths, it's sorta common that the rhythm generation is separated from the pitch generation. For example, a trigger sequencer emits triggers that are used to cycle through a sequence, or sample-and-hold a random source. Simple examples of a separate trigger sequencer and pitch sequencer are Doepfer A-157 and Doepfer A-155. An example of a pitch sequencer being irregularly clocked is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkTUcQr7bNQ (bassline starts around :35)

rjungemann wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:12 am Thank you for responding, Colin!
And thank you for the great write-up! Let me digest this over the weekend and I'll get back to you with how I think your requests can fit into Architect.

I'm not sure if it's a request for a "real feature"
Some Video tutorials would be nice. (It took me hours to understand the basics) (Some stupid thing like Host input and Host output in Reaper kept me from playing with it :dog: )

Similar to the first one.
Selling on "Plugin Boutique" and some other Resellers (more User more Presets am I right ? :wink: )

And last thing is more a question than a request (maybe can become one )
Is it possible to programm Chords on differen Key (like Chutulu)
C Key = Cmaj6
C# Key = dAug
D Key= Cmin7

Stuff like these (maybe with a Chord learn function )

Polomo123 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:02 pm And last thing is more a question than a request (maybe can become one )
Is it possible to programm Chords on differen Key (like Chutulu)
C Key = Cmaj6
C# Key = dAug
D Key= Cmin7

Stuff like these (maybe with a Chord learn function )
Sounds good: in what context do you see this working - do you mean like a specific chord module that could generate chords?

Yes exactly,

There are 2 different Ideas I had about this
1. A Midi Learn Chorder
(Press "Learn Button"
Midi-Keyboard C or what ever
Learn Button Again
Midi-Keyboard C-E-G or what ever)
So just a Simple Mapping Tool Chorder
I think this would be great

2.And on the other hand the big "built your own chord structure one"
with an Interface like the Arpeggiator’s (dedicated Window with all Parameters like show which chord is played with context menus for scale, tonic and context menu for Intervals like 1-5-7 or 1-3-5, 1-3-5-7 or what ever ... And the possibly to chose from a 2 Key to an 8 or 10 Keys Chord. So that a G7(♯11♭9) would be make able )

But I'm not so good at this node based working (and even worse in Lua :( )
Some really basic Prototyp for the second :

Polomo123 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:07 am There are 2 different Ideas I had about this...
Thanks for confirming: I'll add your notes to my request list. The second request - a specific chord generator a la the other sequencers - is definitely coming, as it's a very common ask.

If you want to get chords in Architect (before Colin adds the functionality), you can grab chord sets from the code for the excellent Amalgamated Harmonics VCV rack modules:
https://github.com/jhoar/AmalgamatedHar ... Common.cpp
The list of chords can be dumped into a data object and then accessed from there.

That's a great find, thanks.

Return to “Loomer”