Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.5 now available

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've attached 2 text files in a zip archive using intervals of scales I would like to use. The "modes.txt" file has the scale intervals with numbers corresponding to the second file "Mode Names.txt". Perhaps this list could be easily converted to your scale format? I would be happy with just that.

I would also like to see Scala (.scl) supported for import would be great for a future release.

Much appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mannymang wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:48 pm I've attached 2 text files in a zip archive using intervals of scales I would like to use.
Thanks. These are easily parsable, so I'll cobble together a quick script later today that converts them to .scale files.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Please find the converted scales attached to this post. If you unzip them and place all the .scale files in your Scales folder, you will find them available if you click on the + button in the Scale window and choose 'External'. I guess the easiest way to get to the Scales folder is by opening the preset browser, right-clicking on "User" and choosing "Show in Finder/Explorer". You should see the Scales folder in the same directory as the User presets folder.

I think some of these scales are slightly off though: it appears the document uses the same intervals for Lydian as for the Major scale. Lydian should have an augmented 4th, I think, although I'm no expert of these matters so I could well be wrong.

Anyway, here is the Lua script I used for the conversion.

Code: Select all

local function readlines(file)
  local t = {}
  local f = assert(io.open(file, 'r'))
  for line in f:lines() do
    t[#t + 1] = line
  end
  f:close()
  return t
end

local function writescale(name, intervals)
  name = name:match('%d+: ([^,]*),')
  intervals = intervals:match('%d+, ([^;]*);')

io.write('found ', name, '/', intervals, '\n')

local class = 1
  local degrees = {}
  for degree in intervals:gmatch("%d+") do
    degrees[class] = true
    class = class + tonumber(degree)
  end

local outfilename = name:gsub('/', '-')
  local outfile = assert(io.open(outfilename .. '.scale', 'w'))
  outfile:write('<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>\n')
  outfile:write('<Scale>\n')
  outfile:write('\t<Name>' .. name .. '</Name>\n')
  outfile:write('\t<Version>1</Version>\n')
  for i = 1, 12 do 
    if degrees[i] then
      outfile:write('\t<Degree>' .. tostring(i - 1) .. '</Degree>\n')
    end
  end
  outfile:write('</Scale>\n')

outfile:close()
end

local intervals = readlines('modes.txt')
local names = readlines('Mode Names.txt')
assert(#intervals == #names)

for i = 1, #intervals do
  writescale(names[i], intervals[i])
end
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Wow Colin, this is great!

You are correct on the intervals for the Major and Lydian scales. I got this list years ago somewhere. I am no expert by any means. Thank you for pointing that out, will need to go through the list.

Thank you for taking the time to do this and for making the script. Such a great time saver!

Hope all is well with you Colin. :phones:

No problem at all. Thank you for the list: I've probably came across maybe a tenth of those scales before, so I can't wait to try out the rest.

Here are zip files correcting my error between Major and Lydian. There are likely other errors. I offer no guarantees as to accuracy. :party: If I find any other errors, I'll update on this thread.

scales.zip has the text files for the lists.
parsed-scales.zip has the corrected Major and Lydian .scale files that Colin converted.

Thanks again Colin!

How are you Colin , everythin o.k. ?
Any news about the final release ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Hello gcd. I'm well thanks, still pushing ahead on getting this release done. I ended up scrapping (well, redesigning is probably a better phrase) parts of what I had, as it just didn't work as intuitively as I wanted. But I believe the path I'm on now is the path to release. I'm confident it'll be done soon, (but as I've also hinted at in a few posts, I've also been dealing with two medical situations with a family member and my partner, and so have not had the uninterrupted deep work that I'd have liked of late.)

Sorry to hear about the health issues .
Take all the time you need , no stress !
Eyeball exchanging

Thank you, much appreciated.

Absolutely, family comes first, we can wait.

There's more than enough in the beta we have, I've been using it for about 6 months now, and it amazes me on a regular basis.

Wishing you all the best with your family.

Thank you, much appreciated. (Although, just to clarify the situation somewhat, Architect is still being worked on at depth, and for 5 days a weeks in most cases, albeit not the full working days to which I have preferred to be able to commit.)

That's exciting to hear that you're still working on it regularly, I'm hugely enjoying what's on offer already so am in no rush for the new stuff but am also really interested to see what's to come.

Also wishing you and your family the best.

ThomasHelzle wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:03 pm Hey Colin,

if you look for ideas for example patches for Architect, this could be a nice inspiration:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=556054
(Only the pitch bend quantisation part)

Cheers and looking forward to the next release... :-)

Tom
I think similar PB is in BW 4.1 Beta now - but without any quantization (scales) and 10 ms delay - so for me it is useless, but at least it is move in right direction...

It does not has to be just microtuning stuff - it can be tuming: timing and tuning. :party:

Also I wondering, MIDI 2.0 should be already out - I ve heard people talking about it as a revolution 5 y ago -, but I did not see any changes in MIDI handling...

Approaching 4th year of beta !🤪
Eyeball exchanging

Return to “Loomer”