MIDI Learn in Renoise

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't know if this is a Renoise bug or a loomer bug, but I've noticed MIDI learn does not seem to work on any of your plugs.... is this known? At first I thought it only had to do with one of my computers, but it seems widespread....

I've just done a quick check with Renoise on Mac OS X, and MIDI learn seems to be working just fine; I assume it's either something specific with your system(s), or a configuration problem. Could you let me know which operating system you're using, and specifically which plugins you are having problems with?

Note that mapping MIDI to FX in Renoise is a little cumbersome, but I do have a short guide to MIDI Learn with effect plugins in Renoise that may sort you out.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Well...I'm using ubuntu linux, and I am full-well aware of using the automation device/native interface for MIDI learn. The problem I am having is more specifically with the VST's GUI.

I used to be able to map out the parameters in Aspect and resound just fine. Now it seems that no loomer plugin seems to accept events when I select midi learn from the menu and click on a knob.

I will check to see if this is specific to loomer plugins. If not, I apologize ahead of time.

--Ian

Thanks for the additional info. I've just tried the latest public releases - Aspect 1.5 and Resound 1.4.1 - under Ubuntu Linux with Renoise 2.5. On this system, MIDI mapping works.

One tip for diagnosing MIDI problems is to watch the MIDI Input icon in Aspect's or Resound's status bar. This should briefly flash when a MIDI message, be it note or CC, gets passed to the plugin. If this doesn't happen, then you know that the host isn't passing the MIDI messages onto the plugin.
I will check to see if this is specific to loomer plugins. If not, I apologize ahead of time.
Yes, please let me know any additional findings. If there is a problem here, obviously it is something we'll want to fix as soon as possible.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Okay, so this is interesting.

The mapping works flawlessly in aspect (I must have been mistaken), but it doesn't seem to work on any of your effects' native interfaces.

I checked the icon, and sure enough: they are not receiving any events.

This does, however, seem specific to Renoise. I tried mapping sequent in renoise without avail (Unless I used the renoise interface), but it worked beautifully in energyXT (As much as I hate that DAW).

I might try hosting them in JOST just to see if that makes for a reasonable workaround.

So it sounds like it is probably a problem with Renoise's "FX Alias" MIDI routing: If you want, I could take a look at a Renoise project that you've configured and see if there is anything that isn't set correctly?

Yeah, it looks like it's a Renoise problem. MIDI mapping from the VST GUI works fine from EnergyXT.

*sigh*

It's kind of annoying because another side effect is: I can't send notes to Sequent for changing patterns. It appears that only instruments receive notes.

thanks for your time

--Ian

Yes, that is weird because a Sequent Track DSP in Renoise should be able to (and usually does) receive notes OK. In this case, I'd suggest posting this problem to the Renoise forum - their community is generally pretty good at solving this sort of stuff. And if it is a Renoise bug, they'll likely want to know about it.

Alternatively, as I said before, feel free to email me a Renoise project - it can literally be empty apart from Sequent as a Track DSP and the corresponding FX Alias object - and I can take a quick look to see if there is anything obviously askew with your configuration. The support email address can be found at the bottom of this support page.

Thanks for your patience with this problem.

Return to “Loomer”