loomer shift program change

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
KVRist
157 posts since 28 Jan, 2011

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:41 pm

Hi

I'm currently using shift in ableton live and can't find how to use program change capability of shift in live

can someone help me ?

thanks

lxegs
www.soundcloud.com/lxegs

KVRAF
2239 posts since 25 Aug, 2003 from Bournemouth, UK

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:21 am

Assuming you're using Shift v2 rather than the initial version, it's simply a case of adding whichever presets you want to be selectable via MIDI to the MIDI Program List. Select "MIDI / Edit MIDI Program Change List..." from Shift's menu bar, and then drag in whichever presets you want to its corresponding MIDI Program Index on the right.

This MIDI Program Change list will be saved alongside the current preset if you manually save the preset, or inside the project file if you save the Ableton Live project.

This process is also a little more fleshed out in the pdf manual, in the section titled "MIDI Program Change Lists".
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Hello
Select "MIDI / Edit MIDI Program Change List..."
yes i have found this

but after that i don't know how to use program change control in live with midi clip

KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:13 pm

Ah, sorry, I assumed you were having troubles with the plug-in side of this, not the host side!

With your MIDI Clip selected, set the Program combo in the Notes panel (which should be on the bottom left) to the corresponding Preset index in the MIDI Program Change List.

(I'd also add that MIDI Program Changes need a few milliseconds to load; because such a complex operation could stall the audio thread, these changes happen on a separate thread. I'd therefore recommend having a gap of a few millseconds at the beginning of the clip to ensure the preset has been loaded.)
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

KVRAF

Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:06 am

And as an addendum, I'd also like to add that preset browsing via MIDI controllers is also on the roadmap. Hopefully this feature will see release this year, alongside all the other MIDI controller based improvements we've got planned. This will make it much easier to change presets via hardware without needing to create MIDI program lists beforehand.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:56 am

Hello

Thanks i have found ! i think i will buy a hardware controller midi to send program change

will it work with anyone, like akai mpk mini ?

are there new products on the way, or big update of existing one ??
i'm curious :)

thx

clement

KVRAF

Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:14 am

Yes, it will work with any MIDI controller that can send MIDI Program Change messages: it's probably worth checking the manual or specifications to confirm that they do before you buy. According to this, the MPK Mini does indeed send MIDI Program Change messages (and if it's anything like the LPD8, will have great feeling MPC-style pads!)

And yes, we have both new products and big updates in the pipeline. We should have a new product out 'soon' (although 'soon' means when it's ready: hopefully not too much longer!), followed by a massive update for Aspect, and then several smaller updates for the rest of the product lines too. It's probably worth adding that all updates, major or minor, are free to registered users too!

Return to “Loomer”