Cumulus in host program. Running patches

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
KVRer
13 posts since 15 May, 2012

Post Tue May 15, 2012 1:55 am

I made a patch and I can play it in the cumulus sequencer as stand alone but even though I've routed cumulus into my vst host in Magix Music Maker, I cannot play anything once I select it from my vst list. I got cumulus as a free download. Is that the limitation that it does not play in a host programme or am I just doing something wrong?

KVRAF
2239 posts since 25 Aug, 2003 from Bournemouth, UK

Post Tue May 15, 2012 2:10 am

No, it should work fine in a host: Cumulus CM is a complete program, not a demo or limited version in any way.

Could you clarify what you mean by "cannot play anything"? Do you mean there is no sound generated, or that Cumulus's transport doesn't start, or perhaps that it doesn't receive MIDI notes, etc? It may be as simple as needing to press Play in Magix Music Maker's transport to give Cumulus a timeline and clock to sync itself to.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Tue May 15, 2012 2:24 am

I would open the key editor in magix and select cumulus which would then display.I then opened the patch I made which would open.
The play button on the row of numbers(1-8) would not respond once I clicked it. In fact it wouldnt even display like in stand alone. I tried to see if my keyboard controller would activate it and also drew lines in the key editor of magix. Cant get the patch to play at all.

KVRAF

Post Tue May 15, 2012 2:37 am

I'm not too familiar with Magix, which does mean I may need to acquire a demo and test this for myself. Before that though, a few questions:

Am I right in saying that other VST instruments work fine in your Magix install? Is there a configuration option in Magix to allow it to pass transport information to a plug-in? Is Cumulus actually activated (ie, not bypassed) in Magix?
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

KVRAF
1839 posts since 22 Mar, 2002 from Timisoara, Romania

Post Tue May 15, 2012 3:18 am

maybe you should try another midi notes range.
problem is with some hosts that notes ( C1-> ) is not in the same place for all !

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Tue May 15, 2012 3:45 am

CPB wrote:I'm not too familiar with Magix, which does mean I may need to acquire a demo and test this for myself. Before that though, a few questions:

Am I right in saying that other VST instruments work fine in your Magix install? Is there a configuration option in Magix to allow it to pass transport information to a plug-in? Is Cumulus actually activated (ie, not bypassed) in Magix?
I don't think magix demos accommodate vst's but you can try. How would I activate it? I have a good few other vst's that work fine but have noticed that alot of free computer music vst's cannot even be routed to magix. Magix is very buggy. In the settings of magix you have asio, wave and direct sound ie in playback parameter. I had it on asio for cumulus and tried the other two as well. There is an option in cumulus, HOST and Local. I had it on host for Magix. There isnt really much to set as far as I can see so it must be something to do with magix settings

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Tue May 15, 2012 3:45 am

wakax wrote:maybe you should try another midi notes range.
problem is with some hosts that notes ( C1-> ) is not in the same place for all !
I will try that. Thanks

KVRAF

Post Tue May 15, 2012 5:15 am

Are MIDI events (such as note ons and note offs) getting through to Cumulus at all? You can test this by looking at the MIDI icon in the lower right of the Cumulus interface: if everything in your host is configured correctly, this icon should flicker briefly when Cumulus receives a MIDI message.

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Tue May 15, 2012 6:42 am

CPB wrote:Are MIDI events (such as note ons and note offs) getting through to Cumulus at all? You can test this by looking at the MIDI icon in the lower right of the Cumulus interface: if everything in your host is configured correctly, this icon should flicker briefly when Cumulus receives a MIDI message.
I haven't seen the midi icon flicker at all even in standalone.

KVRAF

Post Tue May 15, 2012 6:49 am

Are you playing the patch live (ie, from an external MIDI keyboard or equivalent), or is the preset sequenced using the built-in Sequencer in Cumulus? If it's the latter, than obviously you wouldn't see MIDI input because you're not using any!

It sounds like the plug-in literally isn't being processed by Magix, which is why I wonder is Magix has some kind of bypass or enabled state that needs to be toggled. Perhaps something like an On button for turning each plug-in on individually?

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Tue May 15, 2012 7:05 am

To tell you the truth, I was'nt sure what I was doing. I recorded a vocal phrase in magix. I then altered it in alchemy then saved as wav. I then opened cumulus as stand alone and imported my wav file into it and played around with it in the sequencer. Arranging the coloured squares making something to me quite amazing. Saved it. Closed stand alone cumulus. Opened magix. This is where i am really stuck. I would like to include this patch or sequence within my magix arrangement and export it as a wave or mp3 file and also maybe include this and other patches in other magix arrangements. I guess I need to make sure all settings are synced. In magix when I open cumulus I notice that the OPTION menu has no function. There's no setting to set. In the stand alone the OPTION menu allows me to choose my sound card, sample rate and usb midi device. Could this be where the problem lies?

KVRAF

Post Tue May 15, 2012 7:16 am

The "Audio & MIDI Configuration" options are for the standalone version only. When running via a host, it is the hosts responsibility to pass audio and MIDI to and from the plug-in. The equivalent of these options should be somewhere in the host configuration options, but seeing as other plug-ins do work fine, I don't think this is the problem.

Out of interest, the other plug-ins that do work with Magix; are they instrument or effect plug-ins?

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Tue May 15, 2012 7:21 am

The are different synths. Rob Papen, Native instrument, Korg and Atura and a few free ones

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Tue May 15, 2012 7:23 am

If it is'nt possible to run Cumulus in my host programme, how do I export the sequence out of cumulus as wav or mp3

KVRAF

Post Tue May 15, 2012 7:24 am

OK, I think I will need to download and try the demo for myself then. I can't think of anything that would cause this, and it seems that Magix does at least work fine with other instrument plug-ins. Which version of Magix are you using?

Return to “Loomer”