Lag generator - How does it work?

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,
I've been playing around with aspect and it is a great synth, but i would like to know more about what the lag generator does.

I simple test shows me that it changes a square wave from this:

To this:

Could anyone explain what it's doing?

The Lag Generator (which in retrospect should probably have been called a Slew Limiter) simply smooths the changes in its input, be it an audio or modulation signal. The amount of smoothing is controlled by the Lag parameter: a higher value produces a smoother signal.

It's probably easier to hear this than to explain it, and also an easier concept to grasp with a modulation rather than an audio signal: create a new preset, route a fairly slow square LFO to the Lag Generator, and route the Lag Generator's output to a Low Pass Filter's cutoff, with say 100% modulation depth. Now, listen to the changes as you increase the Lag: at low values, the filter jumps between the high and low states of the LFO; as the lag increases, the changes are smoothed and the filter will glide between said states.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Ok thanks.

Return to “Loomer”