Ninja Step 2012

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
KVRist
321 posts since 14 Nov, 2011

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:07 pm

Hello KVR Loomers and lurkers!

I've just uploaded my very first Aspect track - Ninja Step 2012 - which is a remake of Yuzo Koshiro's Ninja Step from the landmark '89 Super Shinobi Megadrive game. This is also the first time I've ever used RNCBC's samplv1 LV2 sampler and my second complete qtractor production.

Aspect is as CPU efficient as I had heard, in fact more so! I've got a 3/4 year old core 2 duo laptop and with NS2012, which features ~15 instances of Aspect and as many audio tracks I've not seen the CPU go much over 14%!

qtractor is badass now it has automation. qtractor + Aspect + samplv1 is proving to be a very nice lightweight sequencing combo. I had so much fun putting this together it should be, and these days it likely is, illegal! :)

http://soundcloud.com/danmacdonald

KVRAF
2239 posts since 25 Aug, 2003 from Bournemouth, UK

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:44 am

There are some really nice lo-fi retro sounds in there: you've done a great job of replacing the original's 'characteristic' FM tones. The organ-esque stab at the end in particular has a lovely, rounded timbre. (Of course, now you need to do Japonesqe from Shinobi III!)
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:59 am

Hi Colin!

Thanks for checking my Aspect debut out!

Great to hear you like it and it seems you were a Megadrive owner too, or at least you're familiar with Mr Koshiro's work. Japonesque is another classic but if I do another video game tune remake I would have to go ninja yet again but switch series/platform because 'The Park' (1st level on Last Ninja 2) was likely one of the times Rob Hubbard thought he might lose his crown as chiptune king (it was Matt Grey IIRC) and so I'd want to try my hand at that next if I do another such remake.

Any idea when we can expect 1.8 and have you implemented my SHIFTy suggestions yet?

Thanks CPB!

KVRAF
2239 posts since 25 Aug, 2003 from Bournemouth, UK

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:14 pm

danboid wrote: were a Megadrive owner...
And still am, although I must admit the Megadrive doesn't get taken out of storage all that often anymore. The Super Nintendo, on the other hand, well, who doesn't still enjoy multi-player Street Fighter 2?
'The Park' (1st level on Last Ninja 2) was likely one of the times Rob Hubbard thought he might lose his crown as chiptune king (it was Matt Grey IIRC) and so I'd want to try my hand at that next if I do another such remake.
Phenomenal soundtrack: I have very fond memories of the Commodore 64 version. The SID really did stomp over every other sound chip in the home computer market at the time.
Any idea when we can expect 1.8
I'm uneasy giving dates at this point, simply because I don't have enough of the roadmap finalised to give a time to an degree of accuracy. (I probably should point out though that the next major version will be 2.0, not 1.8: new UI, new filters, new routing, etc, necessitated some major surgery. So it makes sense to jump to 2.0; a perfect excuse to overhaul everything in Aspect that needs improving!)
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:22 am

You've still got your Megadrive? I ended up selling all my consoles and computers over the years except for my VCS. I owned a SNES too but, despite Mario Kart, I thought the Megadrive was better and had a good port of SF2 too eventually of course. Long live the 16-bit wars! ;)

Last Ninja 2's music was good on the Amiga too but the C64 versions music was better - I suspect they did that first. It is because of SID epics like LN2 that people still use the SID to record with and the demo scene still creates new C64 demos to this day and its amazing what they get out of the C64 now. Some demos from recent years would look more at home on a SNES or Amiga than a C64 with multi-track sampled sound and all sorts of presumed impossible stunts like rotation, scaling, transparencies etc. Amazing stuff!

I regret selling my C64 more than anything else - I sold it with a few big bin bags full of games for about £30 or so - sob! :shock:

Return to “Loomer”