Stereospread in Aspect

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
KVRAF
1807 posts since 10 Feb, 2007

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:24 pm

Hello,

I wonder how I could get wide sounds with Aspect.

Normally it's done with lots of voices that are spread in the stereofield (synapse dune for instance, has this option). How can it be done in Aspect?

I read something about connecting unisondepth to the panning but that way I only get the sounds more panned to one side.

I hope someone can put me on the right way.

Best,
Dirk

KVRAF
2239 posts since 25 Aug, 2003 from Bournemouth, UK

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:56 pm

Sounds like you were on the right track actually.

You need to assign UnisonDepth to Pan Modulation, and then adjust the base Pan value to offset the fact that UnisonDepth is a unipolar modulation source (ie, it will always be zero or above.) Think of the Pan value as the stereo position of the first voice in your unison; each additional voice is then panned slightly more right by the modulation setting.

I can give you the formula if you're interested in calculating exact values for unison Pan modulations, but in my experience it's always quicker to adjust these values manually, keeping your ear keen, and an eye on the stereo level meter on the bottom right of the UI as you adjust the Depth modulation.

So to pan two unison voices, one hard left, one hard right, set the base pan to L 100%, and the UnisonDepth Pan Modulation to +100%.

(I do agree this is probably more complex than it needs to be: improved voice routing and making modulation more visible are both keystone features in the next Aspect.)
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

1807 posts since 10 Feb, 2007

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:48 am

Hey Colin,

Ok, I already changed the base pan and now I know I'm on the right track.
colin@loomer wrote:I can give you the formula if you're interested in calculating exact values for unison Pan modulations
I probably wouldn't understand it anyway. :oops:

I own Aspect for a long time and it still keeps growing on me. This thing has some many possibilities that I don't know if I ever will be ready for version 2... :lol:

Return to “Loomer”