String, Sequent, and Aspect for Windows bug-fix updates

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

String, Sequent, and [url=ttp://www.loomer.co.uk/aspect.htm]Aspect[/url] for Windows have been updated to fix a couple of issues:
  • (fix:Windows) Fix for the 64-bit VST plug-in not opening on certain hosts on Windows XP 64-bit
  • (fix:Windows) Fix for issue where confirmation dialogs in the preset browser could appear underneath and therefore be obscured by the preset browser window.
These issues did not affect the Mac OS X or Linux versions.

Download the updates here.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

The tuning knob on String gives wildly different values from the actual tuning it is doing.
For example at 436Hz something, it gives 432Hz. The lowest is not 427Hz as the reading states but 415 something and the highest is not 453 but 466.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Really? How odd! I'll get this looked at for the next String update, and ensure that the correct Hz is being shown.

EDIT: Actually, in the time it took me to write this I've seen the problem. It's actually doubling the difference from 440Hz. Should be an easy fix to get the display Hz updated for the next build. In the interest of maintaining compatibility, I'll keep the extended range so to ensure that presets will sound as they always did, whilst the Hz display will now be corrected.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Excellent, thanks Colin. The other thing is, could you add a decimal point on the value as well? I would much rather that that knob become more precise than it currently is. Right now, you can move it normally (without using the Shift key for extra precision) and the knob WILL move on the screen but the Hz value will NOT change, yet the pitch will change without giving indication numerically, only knob-wise.

I'd much prefer it that each mouse move without the precision option utilized, moves the value 1 Hz each time, whilst the use of Shift, allows one to edit precisely between the Hz in intervals of 0.1 Hz. If possible.

And thanks for keeping the extended range, that's pretty cool!
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Absolutely; consider it done! The rotary components already have the ability to notch (that is, to hit specific values only), so I can notch on the integer Hz values and allow more finely grained control only when shift is held.

Groovy! I believe I read a post stating that, vector GUIs are in the works?
Wound be great!

Yes, the new UIs are vector based and resizable.

So -- I think I may have misunderstood your post above, Colin. Has String already got a vectorial resizable GUI, or is that something y'all are still thinking about doing?

I've got the latest update installed, and can't resize either the stand-alone or the x64 VSTi in Sonar Platinum. I don't see anything in the manual about this, and can't seem to find helpful info via google.

I've recently upgraded to a 40" 4K monitor, and most plugs are too small for me now, so I'm trying to find a suite of plugs that resize. I adore the ear-candy goodness of String, and would love for it to be easier on my eyes now.

Thanks!

No, the next releases of all the plug-ins will have resizeable UIs, but so far only Resound, Manifold, and Shift have been released with the new vector GUIs. I intended for the next updated UI to be Sequent, but it's proven to be rather a massive job because of all the modular effects routing shenanigans, so I may instead switch tact and push the String update out first, a far easier proposition to be honest.

Leave it with me: I'll see if I can get the String update out sooner, rather than later.

Glad to hear it, colin!

I'm looking forward to the next update to String. It really is something special.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Hey, colin -

Anything to report on the resizeable GUI front?

I've noticed that more and more plugs are getting either freely draggable GUIs, usually when they're JUCE, or offering a choice of various sized skins, which actually sounds a lot easier to implement, and has solved my issue with a high-DPI monitor for several plugs.

Incidentally, I'd happily kick in another ten bucks or so for this upgrade. I surmise that many of your other customers would, too.

It's still work in progress on the freely draggable UIs. I've been doing the occasional UI tweak here and there, but just haven't yet found the time to knuckle down and get the UIs finished. It isn't a massive amount of work though, the framework itself handles resizing everything now, so it's pretty much just resource creation.

Thanks for the offer of fees, but I can confirm it will be a free upgrade.

I bought String and I really like the sound of it. Great plugin! I'm using the Linux version and there is a problem with opening the GUI. Sometimes the plugin GUI is not shown at all, just an empty window frame. This happens in different hosts. Any news on the update?

Thanks for the purchase. Sorry to hear you're having issues. I'm not aware of this particular problem: which distro of Linux are you using, and is this the 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Return to “Loomer”