Loomer Architect: A modular MIDI toolkit

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

N/M
Last edited by dark water on Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colin@loomer wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:03 pm Yes, the Lua module is just a standard module, which has its own contextual view to can edit Lua scripts. It has syntax colouring. No need for an external editor.

Not sure what you mean by the second question, but if you're asking if the "graph" itself can have sequenced changes, then for now: no, it's fixed. I dabbled with a dynamically changing graph, hit a few snags, and pushed the idea to the "cool, but needs more thoughts" drawer. This actually comes under the general category of async changes, something I will address in a (possibly distant) future iteration.
Thanks Colin!

The second question was about if the timeline can hold one generative node patch in one "clip" or however you call these elements and another patch in another clip.
What I'm basically asking is, how those node structures are dealt with organisation wise. Can I have several running at the same time in one instance of Architekt or do I need to have one big node structure that holds everything I want to do and route it's outputs to different Midi channels?

But I was just curious, if it's too complicated to explain the internal hierarchy of Architekt I'm happy to wait until the beta comes out.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

And regarding busyness of the interface: it doesn't have to be like that. Generally, when I'm building things, I have only the graph view open, the modules tree hidden, and use the "quick dialog" (which appears when you start typing) to insert new modules. Having the properties always open is handy, though, as is the console window (at the bottom.) If you want to ignore the sequencing and hosting gubbins and just use it to manipulate MIDI, you can.

Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Ah, I see what you are asking, and no: I'm afraid it's presented as one big patch at the moment. I tend to subdivide using macros, which are a good generic container. Adding support to split patches (at least visually) into separate "pages" or the like sounds both simple, and a bloomin' good idea. I'll make a note for the post v1.0 features idea list.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

"Falsy" and 'Truthy" - like it :)

Next to fantastic refreshing ongoing efforts of VCV Rack and VEESEEVEE Rack, this one is awesome amazing news for 2018!
Can't wait to use it! Thanks
[*] sound is unfrozen geometry [*]
https://www.youtube.com/c/Eurikon/videos

lnikj wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:29 pm "Falsy" and 'Truthy" - like it :)
Yes, it's a fairly common terminology nowadays. I hate implicit conversions, generally, but having every value evaluate as eithe truthy or falsy does reduce boilerplate. Essentially, numeric 0, empty arrays, empty maps, empty tuples, and empty strings are all "false", whilst everything else is "true".

colin@loomer wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:39 pm
lnikj wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:29 pm "Falsy" and 'Truthy" - like it :)
Yes, it's a fairly common terminology nowadays. I hate implicit conversions, generally, but having every value evaluate as eithe truthy or falsy does reduce boilerplate. Essentially, numeric 0, empty arrays, empty maps, empty tuples, and empty strings are all "false", whilst everything else is "true".
I figured that was the general principle, but I'm not a coder and have never heard those terms before. Thanks for clarifying :tu:

colin@loomer wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:18 pm And regarding busyness of the interface: it doesn't have to be like that. Generally, when I'm building things, I have only the graph view open, the modules tree hidden, and use the "quick dialog" (which appears when you start typing) to insert new modules. Having the properties always open is handy, though, as is the console window (at the bottom.) If you want to ignore the sequencing and hosting gubbins and just use it to manipulate MIDI, you can.

Ah, very good! I think that's where I'll live :-) :tu:

Thanks Colin,

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

colin@loomer wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:21 pm Ah, I see what you are asking, and no: I'm afraid it's presented as one big patch at the moment. I tend to subdivide using macros, which are a good generic container. Adding support to split patches (at least visually) into separate "pages" or the like sounds both simple, and a bloomin' good idea. I'll make a note for the post v1.0 features idea list.
Great! :-)

In Usine 1.5 you could have several completely separate nodal patches and then sequence these over time. Since structuring generative data over time is always a bit complicated, I liked that basic idea.
Think of it like having several of your "pages" active for specific time periods. So maybe have an intro page with one generative structure that you automate from very low event density to more busy, then you blend/switch to a main1 page with a different node setup and so on. The blending could be done with a specific parameter the timeline sends to the patches so you can internally deal with how that blending should happen (harder to do with Midi than with audio).

Really looking forward to it now :-)

Cheers,

Tom

The screenshots alone indicate a very ambitious project, so Congratulations Colin on your progress!

The timing of the release is spot on for me because my vacation (stay-cation) is starting in a couple of weeks. I look forward to diving into that beta. :clap:

Will it have a panic ,all not off-s command ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Yes, the ! on the top of the UI turns all notes off, internally, and to hosted plug-ins, and to external MIDI devices.

I'm off now for a well-deserved Christmas break, so won't be checking the forums as regularly for a few days. Support via email will still be up (although what with it being Christmas it may take a little longer to get back to anyone.)

And in the meantime, a merry Christmas to one and all!

ThomasHelzle wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:17 pm
colin@loomer wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:03 pm Yes, the Lua module is just a standard module, which has its own contextual view to can edit Lua scripts. It has syntax colouring. No need for an external editor.

Not sure what you mean by the second question, but if you're asking if the "graph" itself can have sequenced changes, then for now: no, it's fixed. I dabbled with a dynamically changing graph, hit a few snags, and pushed the idea to the "cool, but needs more thoughts" drawer. This actually comes under the general category of async changes, something I will address in a (possibly distant) future iteration.
Thanks Colin!

The second question was about if the timeline can hold one generative node patch in one "clip" or however you call these elements and another patch in another clip.
What I'm basically asking is, how those node structures are dealt with organisation wise. Can I have several running at the same time in one instance of Architekt or do I need to have one big node structure that holds everything I want to do and route it's outputs to different Midi channels?

But I was just curious, if it's too complicated to explain the internal hierarchy of Architekt I'm happy to wait until the beta comes out.

Cheers,

Tom

Something like Reaper's Free item positioning mode might be handy here - various clips each with their own instance of Architect and able to be arranged and moved around freely on a virtual 2d surface - overlapping and so on
what you don't know only makes you stronger

Return to “Loomer”