Architect beta 0.9 64bit standalone crashing after setting vst path

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Win 10

I set the vst paths in the standalone - it crashed and will not open at all now. Have rebooted computer but still no go

The VST version of Architect works in Reaper (tho struggling to get the window sizing so I can see everything at once - probably a Reaper problem)
what you don't know only makes you stronger

Ok, noted.

Could you send me your Architect.xml and Architect.plugin-cache-* configuration files? Once you've done this, it's probably safe to delete them files and start afresh, as it were, which should get you going again.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

thanks, emailed to loomer support
what you don't know only makes you stronger

Cheers!
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

woggle wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:29 pm Win 10

I set the vst paths in the standalone - it crashed and will not open at all now. Have rebooted computer but still no go

The VST version of Architect works in Reaper (tho struggling to get the window sizing so I can see everything at once - probably a Reaper problem)
WIN 10
i have gotten the standalone to add my plug-ins in the mixer panel ...
i set my devices first ...

it was a tad clunky , and took several tries ...
first try was a crash ...
seemed the key was adding only one folder at a time , but that's speculation until
someone notices the same behavior ...

i'm sure you'll want it to work more smoothly ...

Okay, seeing a similar behaviour here. Running the standalone, x64 Architect on Win7 x64. Multiple lock-ups so far while VST scanning.

Thoughts on operation in italics:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VST is set to my custom VST location, (which is P:\VST64\Main) but I started by adding subfolders of that to the Custom Folders list to reduce the plugin scan size.

thought : Since Architect seems to be using the registry entry it would make sense to display that location the way other hosts do, to avoid confusion. Maybe even make it a checkbox (* Use standard VST folder P:\VST64\Main )

Anyways, thought I was scanning a relatively small folder, but wasnt. Architect crashed, so restarted. 4 plugins blacklisted it says. Hmmm, must be a record of that, I think, go looking. Find a file in %appdata%/Loomer/Architect/Architect.plugin-cache-x86_64.blacklist but its only got one file listed in it.

thought : How do I confirm what's been blacklisted from with Architect?

Anyway 67 plugins found, restart Architect, add a different custom folder because I still havent realised that its using the registry entry, start scanning.

thought : Not a lot of feedback in the scanning, the green bar doesnt seem to move, and the current plugin isnt displayed the way most hosts do. Maybe display the current plugin name?
Also : the first time round, I added a Custom Folder. The second time round, that had disappeared. Is that because of the crash, or something else?

Got up to 140 or so plugins, then crash, realised that i didnt need to add a custom folder, so lef that and kept going. Rinse repeat two or three more times. But gradually, the total number of plugins rose, it seemed to be smart enough to do the scan cumulatively. Got up to 400 or so (yes, I have a lot of plugins) then the last time round, I forgot to tick 'Find VST plugins... and it wiped its accumulated list.. No, I didnt hit Clear(*).

(* Not even accidently; I know I didnt, and Ive replicated it... the default is for Find VST Plugins to be unchecked, and if it is, it seems to wipe the accumulated list. Ouch, way to punish the user.)

thought : Erm, that's a total PITA. Why wipe the plugin list any way except with a 'delete the list and start again but danger will robinson' button and second-chance dialog. If 'Clear' is supposed to do that, please lock it down with a 'you sure?' dialog. Five cycles of (basically zero-feedback, waiting-for-it-to-crash) scanning wasted makes me hope it was a mere error.

thought : I know its early days but your VST scanning is slow. Almost samplitude slow, which is the slowest I have. Live is better, Bidule trounces you. Hope that's possible to improve.

thought : Also; could there be a way to stop/resume the scanning process just in case?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

All very sensible suggestions, and I agree: lots of room for improvement here.

I'll make improvements to the plug-in scanning a priority, but bear in mind that this may turn into a lot of work so it may not be entirely ready for the next beta release.

Cheers.

I finally got my plugin scan done, and Ive got one more request; please give us some degree of control over the Plugin menus. I seem to have some plugins in arbitrary subfolders (one in 'Spacial') and others lumped into generic folders (300-plus in 'Effect', 50 in 'Other') At the very least, can we have hierarchic menus based on the folder hierarchy?

Oh, and for some reason my jbridge'd plugins all got blacklisted. Clearing the list, doesnt help; standard behaviour is that jbridge throws up a warning dialog box because the host isnt in admin mode, but Architect crashes when the dialog is shown.

The first request I basically had done but didn't have time to quite finish it, so that's a sure fire thing. And yes, I'll look into the jbridge issue.

Cheers on all counts colin.

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:18 pm Cheers.

I finally got my plugin scan done, and Ive got one more request; please give us some degree of control over the Plugin menus. I seem to have some plugins in arbitrary subfolders (one in 'Spacial') and others lumped into generic folders (300-plus in 'Effect', 50 in 'Other') At the very least, can we have hierarchic menus based on the folder hierarchy?

Oh, and for some reason my jbridge'd plugins all got blacklisted. Clearing the list, doesnt help; standard behaviour is that jbridge throws up a warning dialog box because the host isnt in admin mode, but Architect crashes when the dialog is shown.
^ this please ...

Absolutely. I'll make sure plug-in sorting is in tomorrow's beta.

Can conform that the plugin scanning is a bit irritating.
Didn't even realise it would use the registry info (which should be optional as was said) so set the path manually and also lost that path after each crash. I was in Bitwig Studio and ran it as 64 bit VST2 if that makes a difference.
4 crashes put my system in a strange state where I couldn't click on my mail software anymore, it was as if some invisible window was atop of it. Had to force-quit it. Somehow it was related to the VST-scanning - while it was running my whole system had that non-clickability.
I agree that more info for the scanning would be good, the bar didn't move but after each crash it had more plugins.
4 are blacklisted it tells me, but I can't find the file that holds the info what they are. I only have the plugin cache file, not blacklist that I could see. Seeing those would be good, if only to report to you.
But with 700+ plugins I found 4 scanner crashes rather on the positive side - very good. Of course, I'm spoiled by Bitwig which doesn't crash from crashing plugins at all. ;-)

Can't comment yet on the other things in this thread, still finding my way into Architect.

Cheers,

Tom

Windows 8.1 x64, 16GB RAM (Laptop) i7 4 core, Arturia Audio Fuse...
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:30 pm I only have the plugin cache file, not blacklist that I could see. Seeing those would be good, if only to report to you.
Open the plugin cache file and the blacklist is right at the bottom.
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

Found it, thanks!
The blacklist file seems only to exist very shortly while the Architect is scanning.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Return to “Loomer”