Architect: Does anyone have a * macro/script

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know some of you have already started building things with the Architect beta.

This thread is to keep requests and responses to queries of the "Does anyone have ... macro or script" away from the main thread, and to somewhere where they are more likely to be seen.

Thanks all.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

To get the ball rolling:

Here is a Lua implementation of Linearly interpolated 1D Perlin Noise as an Architect fragment.

Perlin noise is pseudo-random in nature, so will give you the same output for the same input.
If driven by a slowed down clock (divide it by something like 9601) you will get a constantly up and down moving value between -1 and 1 that will repeat the same sequence on each play. To get a different sequence, add an offset or multiply with something else.
I'll probably do more complex noises later on. Took me a while to get my C sources into Lua... ;-)

Extract and put it in your "Fragments" folder

Download: http://screendream.de/work/Loomer_Archi ... oise1D.zip

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Awesome! Thanks! :tu:

hooray for the perlin noise - thanks Tom
what you don't know only makes you stronger

You're welcome - already working on the 2D version and the smoothed ones... :-)

The real Fractal Noise is to come later, still converting all the stuff from my 3D shader C code.
I used to write generative shaders for project:messiah, Arnold, Mental Ray, Modo, Lightwave etc. - very useful for audio as well.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

ThomasHelzle wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:24 pm
Hi Tom, great addition, thanks fo sharing it!
Maybe I missed something but what is the ".frag" and Fragments stuff? I see they appear as exernals in the "external" folder, but what is the difference w.r.t. a macro saved in xml?

Alberto

I have no idea :-)
I just right-clicked on the node and chose "Export..."
Colin has to answer this one.

Cheers,

Tom

Another question regarding Lua:
The factory nodes have the green inlet for the triggers.
I don't see a way to make an explicit green trigger input with Lua?
Is that possible or how would this be done so the user knows what input to use?
Would it make sense to have a data-trigger input as an option in the inspector which then turns green?

Cheers,

Tom

AZZIN wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:52 pm
ThomasHelzle wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:24 pm
Hi Tom, great addition, thanks fo sharing it!
Maybe I missed something but what is the ".frag" and Fragments stuff? I see they appear as exernals in the "external" folder, but what is the difference w.r.t. a macro saved in xml?

Alberto
Hi AZZIN, fragments are selected nodes that can be exported for later use. I use them for frequently used "snippets" of nodes.

I now created a Github Repo for my Architect stuff:
https://github.com/ThomasHelzle/Loomer-Architect
A 2D Perlin Noise is also available there now.

Edit: I closed down my Github account, but here is a zip with everything I had there:
Loomer-Architect-master.zip
Cheers,

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks Tom! Very cool and very much appreciated!

I added two smoothly interpolated Perlin Noises to my Repository above.

Let me know if you find any bugs.

Cheers,

Tom

Here's an attempt at a Euclidian sequencer, enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Delta Sign wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:00 amMaybe some of the basic generative sequencing methods like... a Turing random source.
I'm surprised I was unaware of the incarnations of this thing, but it seemed like an interesting small project to get to know Architect scripting a bit better.

48Kb download: http://vze26m98.net/loomer/turing-190103.zip

It's got a few objects strung around it to enable it to make sounds immediately, but I think it's really more an LFO-ish entity. As per some of the videos I scanned through, there's a knob to control the rate of change, a size input to control the length of the sequence, and a pair of offset/scale inputs to control the range of the output data.

The "Odds" knob varies the probability of the current output to be randomly changed. Fully counterclockwise ("Fluid") changes all output randomly, fully clockwise ("Fixed") stops all change. The odds of change vary in between those extremes.

The numeric input Size will expand or contract the data loop. The properties of the input component limit the range to 1 to 128 data elements, but there's no reason you couldn't exceed that.

Scale confines the randomly generated data to a range between 0, and what's entered in the Scale input. Offset is added to the random data to place it elsewhere besides [0...scale]. In the screenshot above, the integers 0 through 24 are being generated, and 69 is being added to that, so I think that in MIDI terms, it's randomly generating the semitones up to two octaves above C3. The range of the UI components are limited to 0 - 127, but again, there's no reason not to change that if it suits.

Currently it demonstrates sound via the Metronome and the MIDI output objects, which play eighth notes at an even 1/4 note rhythm.

There are two Macro objects: "coin-toss" and "randomize-element". There's also a short Lua script "resize-array" which will truncate the current array, or expand it through duplication. There are two Print objects which display the current sequence array and the resized array in the console, which I've kept for debugging purposes.

It's yours to do with as you please, but I'm uncertain how much support I might offer. I made it based on interest, so if that runs out, you'll be on your own. There's not much that's very difficult to figure out here though, and that's why I'm happy to share it.

Enjoy!
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

Thanks cturner!

Cheers,

Tom

Return to “Loomer”