Synth 1 major crash

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2212 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:46 am

Using synth 1 ( 64 bit , version 1.13 ) on win 10
When routing the on screen keyboardboard to the track output + playing ( mouse ) , architect crashes .

Edit , it also crashes when just receiving midi from any sequencer , and it appeared as blacklisted
I wonder why since it behaves o.k. in my other hosts ( renoise , studio one )
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

colin@loomer
KVRAF
1811 posts since 25 Aug, 2003 from Bournemouth, UK

Re: Synth 1 major crash

Post Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:16 am

Sounds repeatable: I'll take a look and see if I can witness the crash for myself.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer
KVRAF

Post Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:18 am

Progress: I've managed to get Synth1 1.13 to reliably crash in the latest build of Architect. I'm investigating and working on a fix right now.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer
KVRAF

Post Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:37 am

Not sure what to do about this one, as it's clearly a bug in that version of Synth1.

Essentially, Architect passes Synth1 an audio buffer into which it should render, and that audio buffer is located somewhere in 64-bit address space. Synth1, for some bizarre reason, ignores that it is a 64-bit pointer and truncates it to a 32-bit one, and ends up clobbering some other bit of memory.

As for why it works in some other hosts, I can only guess, but I would hazard that they are not using the ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomisation) security features on Windows, meaning that buffers tend to be in the 32-bit address space. There is only so much 32-bit address space though, so they're only delaying the inevitable.

I'll let the Synth1 author know and see if I can get this fixed, as I'd rather not start disabling security features to work around buggy plug-ins. (Although I have confirmed that Synth1 does indeed not crash when ASLR is turned off.)

colin@loomer
KVRAF

Post Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:38 am

Oh, this does appear to be a common issue with some other hosts too: https://github.com/teotigraphix/Framewo ... g/issues/3

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2212 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:37 am

Thanks for the heads up .
No synth 1 in architect then :D
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

colin@loomer
KVRAF

Post Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:21 am

Seems like that is the case, unfortunately. I will leave the issue open, in case I can come up with some brainwave about how to work around this in a secure way. When I finally get around to moving all plug-in hosting into the external plugin process, you'll be able to mix and match 32-bit and 64-bit plug-ins, so sticking to 32-bit Synth1 and 64-bit everything else will then be an option.

Return to “Loomer”