Architect crashes when vst receives out of range parameter

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2883 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:57 pm

I am using the mixer parameter module to control the vco waveform of microtonic ( 3 waveforms )
Most of the vst's (if not all ) have there range between 0...1 ,so the values would be 0 for first waveform 0.5 for second and 1 for the third
Sending a value over 1 instantly ( which I first did ) crashes architect when microtonic gui is shown , specifically with waveform select .

It's a good idea to warn future users that adressing vst parameters are all inside the range 0-1 to avoid potential crashes .

p.s. is the range 0-1 for vst parameters unique to loomer architect or this standard for all vst's ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

colin@loomer
KVRAF
2055 posts since 25 Aug, 2003 from Bournemouth, UK

Re: Architect crashes when vst receives out of range parameter

Post Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:35 am

I'm gonna to limit the range from 0.0 to 1.0, so that should fix these sort of crashes.

It seems some VSTs tolerate the additional range with no harmful effects, but obviously some others don't. (I assume what is happening with micro-tonic is that it tries converting the value to text, but values outside of the range don't correspond to any waveform name, and: kaboom. Which is fair enough, as a well-behaved host should not be sending parameters out of range.)

The 0 - 1 range is VST standard. Some other formats, such as AU, can be more specific about the parameter types and ranges. It could, for example, state that a parameter is a boolean, or an enumeration of 5 waveforms.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Return to “Loomer”