Send midi note gate to vst effect

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
3217 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:22 pm

I don’t think that it’s currently possible to send sequencer midi note and gate data to vst effects .
The track output module shows the available parameters for automation and controlling , but no triggering
Cytomic the drop (which is an effect ) internal envelopes can be triggered by midi just to give an example
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

colin@loomer
KVRAF
2175 posts since 25 Aug, 2003 from Bournemouth, UK

Post Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:38 am

I assume that if The Drop accepts MIDI notes, you can put it on its own track, then route MIDI to this track using a [MIDI Output] module. Or create a specific (empty) track for MIDI gating, use it as the [MIDI Output] destination, and then route the track's MIDI output directly to The Drop instance inside another track.

You may need to ensure that The Drop is accepting MIDI by turning on the MIDI Input Sources under the plug-in Input/Output properties.

Does this work, or shall I install The Drop and try for myself?
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:19 am

That's a pretty convoluted way , we need additional busses + send levesl to route our instrument to the drop channel .
Eyeball exchanging

colin@loomer
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:47 am

How does this work in your other hosts? In Ableton Live, for example, and Pro Tools, (as far as I know) they both use a similar routing scheme when you need to have a dedicated MIDI bus for a MIDI-controlled effect. If there's a better approach, though, I'd be happy to hear it.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:43 am

Say , track 1 has a synth + cytomic the drop filter ( which is an effect )m ...currently cytomic can not be controlled over midi when it's an insert effect
You suggested to insert the drop on a new track ( dedicated for receiving midi ) , but then it's not an insert anymore .
We need to route the original synth track to this new dedicated the drop track , this means two tracks just to control an effect

Edit I tried your approach and it's not working , the drop does not respond to midi gates
Eyeball exchanging

colin@loomer
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:01 am

I'll download The Drop myself and take a look.

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:43 am

COlin ,it's all good now , I forgot to enable a certain function on the drop ( bottom right button called midi :) )
Eyeball exchanging

colin@loomer
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:56 am

Great, thanks for letting me know! I'll keep the thread here for posterity in case anyone else has the same issue.

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:26 am

o.k but don't go away just yet
Take the following example , microtonic is able to be treated as 8 part mutitmbral with 8 individual outputs .
So we have 8 mixer tracks which recieves midi and also function as an audio bus for that part .
Worst case scenario , assume we want to drop the drop ( no pun intended ) on each track , this means we have to make another 8 additional tracks for each drop instance and then route each ( individual tonic out ) track to the corresponding drop track
This will become messy verry fast .

Imho the mixer should also receive some treatment , the abbility to collapse tracks with just one click , and perhaps a zoom+scroll function like in the piano roll same goes for grid and timeline .
Widening multiple tracks while dragging the handles is pretty time consuming
Eyeball exchanging

Return to “Loomer”