Old skool step sequencing ,gate out of sequencer controlling another sequencer

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
3217 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:30 am

This has been asked in the past but iirc there wasn't a real solution
ONe sequencer gate out is controlling another sequencer , making this sequencer advances one step whenever it receives a gate .

I tried muliple solutions , using the step out of the sending sequencer into a branch and controlling the branch with the trig out of the sequencer , all of this into the play step of the receiving seq. and setting the receiving sequencer to (direction ) stationary .
Image This is sadly noo good solution because the receiving sequencer will always trigger a note even when the sending sequencer has not gate on
Also the duration (timing) of the receiving sequencer should have abs. no influence and should be disabled ( which is note possible )
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF

Post Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:36 am

This is actually how it should work , but here I am using a data table for the collection of pitches

Edit , not quite right ,since the data table also advances more hen 1 step ,and the table size should be the same as the (sending) sequencer's pattern legnth ( or table gives error ) bummer :cry:
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF

Post Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:59 am

I think it basically comes down to whenever the sending sequencer sends out a true value ( out of trig out ) it adds a number ,false does not .
This has to be the solution
so example
true--true-true-false-false-true -false-false-false-true-true
0-----1------2------2-----2------3-----3------3-----3-----4-----4
Eyeball exchanging

colin@loomer
KVRAF
2175 posts since 25 Aug, 2003 from Bournemouth, UK

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:37 am

I think what the sequencers actually need is a new mode that enables them to be completely decoupled from the metre, which would then allow another component (such as some other sequencer) to take complete control. As it is, there are still some parts of a sequencer that require knowing ahead of time how long a step will be, so that it can calculate, for example, gate times.

But even without that, I think you can get some of the way there. Leave it with me, and I'll have a think about how best to accomplish this in the 0.10 builds.

Out of interest, are the step and trigger outputs in the first screenshot the wrong way around?
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:15 am

Exactly

About the screenshot , trig out is sending true / false controlling branch , step out is either send through or not ( as I want it to be )
[img]blob:https://imgur.com/7978d862-caa8-4e72-87f5-cbc231e4208e[/img]
It just made a mistake in paint

I think the best way is to use a data table , primarily used for storing pitch data , trig out of a sequencer should advance it one step .
Eyeball exchanging

Return to “Loomer”