Ultra-noob Aux Sequencer Question

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
KVRist
249 posts since 15 Jul, 2002

Post Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:39 pm

Having a lot of fun with Architect, but still trying to get over that initial learning curve.

I want to use an Aux Step Sequencer to modulate the velocity of the notes in a Mono Step Sequencer. I tried it wiring the aux1 output of the Aux Seq to the +velocity input of the Mono Seq, but that didn't work. Then I tried running the pattern out of the Aux Seq into the +velocity input of the Mono Seq, but that didn't do anything either.

What am I missing? I feel like once I get this, a big chunk of understanding the workflow will fall into place for me.

KVRAF
2253 posts since 25 Aug, 2003 from Bournemouth, UK

Post Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:29 am

Lava wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:39 pm
I want to use an Aux Step Sequencer to modulate the velocity of the notes in a Mono Step Sequencer. I tried it wiring the aux1 output of the Aux Seq to the +velocity input of the Mono Seq.
That sounds exactly right to me. I guess the things you need to watch for are:

* What is the range of the aux output from the Aux Seq. MIDI noteon velocities are in the range of 1-127, so you'll need a range that accomodated this.
* Note that the +velocity is added to the "raw" velocity of the note in the sequencer, it doesn't replace it. So if the note has a raw velocity of 64 and you modulate by 32, the note's output velocity will be 96.
* Also note that changes to the +velocity are not visually display in the sequencer UI, only the raw velocities are shown.
* The easiest way of monitoring your MIDI messages is using a [MIDI to tuple] -> [print] module.

Have any of these pointers helped you out? If not, could you upload/PM/email me your patch, and I'll see where it is going wrong. Thanks!
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

KVRist

Topic Starter

249 posts since 15 Jul, 2002

Post Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:02 pm

That was it, I just needed to turn the volume down on all the steps of the Mono Seq, it's working now. Thanks!

Return to “Loomer”