Valhalla presets locations are all over the place

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've got a number of Valhalla products, and I've been trying to make sure that my presets are synced between my main studio machine and my laptop. Turns out Valhalla presets are stored across 3 separate folders, depending on the particular plugin and whether it's factory or user presets:

~/Library/Audio/Presets/Valhalla DSP, LLC (ValhallaRoom, ValhallaUberMod, ValhallaVintageVerb)
/Library/Audio/Presets/Valhalla DSP, LLC (ValhallaRoom, ValhallaUberMod)
/Library/Application Support/Valhalla DSP, LLC (ValhallaPlate, ValhallaSpaceModulator, ValhallaVintageVerb)

Is there any chance future updates could see Valhalla plugins centralise their presets in the 1 location for keeping things synced across multiple machines as easy as possible?

Agreed, it ain't much better on Windows either.

Another vote for that.

FWIW I like how u-he does their presets. Everything is inside each of the plugin’s respective data\presets folder. Easy to find.

It would also be nice if the UI’s were updated on the older plugins like Shimmer so each have categorized sections for third party/designer presets like VVV.

Tappistry wrote:Another vote for that.

FWIW I like how u-he does their presets. Everything is inside each of the plugin’s respective data\presets folder. Easy to find.
There's still a split between factory and user patches on Mac so 2 seperate folders, same as Valhalla. Which is a good thing, they end up centralised in the plugin but keeping factory and user presets separate is good practice so your own stuff doesn't get overwritten or even deleted by installs and so you can tell it apart from factory stuff.

mustgroove wrote:I've got a number of Valhalla products, and I've been trying to make sure that my presets are synced between my main studio machine and my laptop. Turns out Valhalla presets are stored across 3 separate folders, depending on the particular plugin and whether it's factory or user presets:

~/Library/Audio/Presets/Valhalla DSP, LLC (ValhallaRoom, ValhallaUberMod, ValhallaVintageVerb)
/Library/Application Support/Valhalla DSP, LLC (ValhallaPlate, ValhallaSpaceModulator, ValhallaVintageVerb)

Is there any chance future updates could see Valhalla plugins centralise their presets in the 1 location for keeping things synced across multiple machines as easy as possible?
The problem with changing the preset locations at this point, is that there are a LOT of machines out there that have the presets located in the old locations. In order to change how Room and ÜberMod work, I'd have to do one of two things:

- create a program that migrates the existing files on a user's system to the new location. This incurs all sorts of risks, where things get accidentally deleted, the DAW doesn't recognize the changed location, there are permissions that are incorrectly set, stuff like that.

- create new directory locations, but leave the old ones in place. This doesn't really solve anything, in that now you have twice as many folders.

Given the above, I don't have any plans to change how the folders work for the older plugins. It would undoubtedly create more issues than it would solve.

mustgroove wrote: Is there any chance future updates could see Valhalla plugins centralise their presets in the 1 location for keeping things synced across multiple machines as easy as possible?
Even if these were confined to one folder, you'd still have the problem of dealing with the plugins that put them in ~/Documents, ~/Music or Preferences or wherever. Realistically, you're going to need aliases and symbolic links to get access to all presets from one master folder.

valhallasound wrote:
mustgroove wrote:I've got a number of Valhalla products, and I've been trying to make sure that my presets are synced between my main studio machine and my laptop. Turns out Valhalla presets are stored across 3 separate folders, depending on the particular plugin and whether it's factory or user presets:

The problem with changing the preset locations at this point, is that there are a LOT of machines out there that have the presets located in the old locations. In order to change how Room and ÜberMod work, I'd have to do one of two things:

- create a program that migrates the existing files on a user's system to the new location. This incurs all sorts of risks, where things get accidentally deleted, the DAW doesn't recognize the changed location, there are permissions that are incorrectly set, stuff like that.

- create new directory locations, but leave the old ones in place. This doesn't really solve anything, in that now you have twice as many folders.

Given the above, I don't have any plans to change how the folders work for the older plugins. It would undoubtedly create more issues than it would solve.
Hi Sean

Can you at least consider giving those of us who'd like to have presets centralized the functionality to choose where to store the plugins' preset folder(s)?

I think your 2nd method would be a good-enough place to start. There are a number of plugin developers who write the preset/data folder pathname in the registry (or plugin settings etc) which provides, those in the know, a means (if needed) of moving a plugin's data/preset folder(s) and then be able to modify the folder pathname in the registry settings etc. (...usually post installation in this type of scenario).

Those users who want to keep the default installation settings would still have the option to able to continue as is...

Your thoughts?

:help:

On the subject of Valhalla preset weirdness:

In Logic, Ableton Live & Reason in Mac Sierra (both AU & VST) - if I choose a preset in a Valhalla plugin, then navigate away from plugin (open other plugs, get a bite to eat while my guitar sustains, etc.) and then come back and press a preset arrow key, it defaults to my user preset folder rather than the last folder I was in. Is this a setting or a bug?

Winstontaneous wrote:On the subject of Valhalla preset weirdness:

In Logic, Ableton Live & Reason in Mac Sierra (both AU & VST) - if I choose a preset in a Valhalla plugin, then navigate away from plugin (open other plugs, get a bite to eat while my guitar sustains, etc.) and then come back and press a preset arrow key, it defaults to my user preset folder rather than the last folder I was in. Is this a setting or a bug?
I think its "undefined." The arrows are there for quickly browsing during a session, with the idea that most people will be choosing a specific preset by opening up the main menu.

Hello,
I would also to see a more manageable method for dealing with the presets.

Users really should know where their presets are located - if for anything else, at least for redundancy purposes.

You might considered offering a paid update for users who would presser the added convenience of a more manageable preset scheme - such as myself. Using this forum to determine "wants and needs" would certainly not be inappropriate.

Note: 2CAudio's Breeze has a great browser functionality for their presets.

I have provided a detailed listing of all of the Valhalla plugins paths and such. I hope users would find this document helpful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I agree with the thoughts that locations should ideally be standardized even if that meant having them in two places for a while until the user manually copies over and deletes the old ones. That said, I'd only want to sense that AFTER the delay is out. Let's not hold up any development for that.

I downloaded the all preset zip someone posted and dont what is for which or where to put them

I vote for a good standardized preset location, ALA U-he.

Tappistry wrote:Another vote for that.

It would also be nice if the UI’s were updated on the older plugins like Shimmer so each have categorized sections for third party/designer presets like VVV.
On my Windows system, u-he's patches are all over the place too. Some are in the VST folder, some are in Program Files, some are in Public Documents... :dog:

Return to “Valhalla DSP”