vaz modular on mac/parallels and windows 7

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I finally got me an intel mac, and thought I'd try out the vaz modular demo. I owned vaz when I was using a pc a few years ago, but sold it when I went back to a mac. I always thought that it was a phenomenal synth....

I'm having trouble running it. The audio is all distorted, and when I try to quit, I get an access violation. I have to force quit every time.

I know that audio is working on parallels because I played a few youtube videos and it played through my mac audio interface just splendidly.

Is anyone using anything like this configuration? (os x 10.6.4, windows 7).

In any case - I'd like to get this working, in hopes of getting the full version, but I need to know that it will work.

Thanks.

Hi drool,

VAZ development is done on my Mac these days, on XP in VMWare Fusion. With Fusion quite a high latency is needed for DirectSound, try 200ms. You'll also likely run foul of a bug in the HTML help wrapper library causing a crash on shutdown, email me and I can send you a fix. VazMod will also run in Wine/Crossover Games btw.

Martin

Use Bootcamp and run it through Windows that way. Its best for lowest latency and realtime audio will work ok.

MadGav wrote:Hi drool,

VAZ development is done on my Mac these days, on XP in VMWare Fusion. With Fusion quite a high latency is needed for DirectSound, try 200ms. You'll also likely run foul of a bug in the HTML help wrapper library causing a crash on shutdown, email me and I can send you a fix. VazMod will also run in Wine/Crossover Games btw.

Martin
don't know if the issues are the same in parallels, but I'll try that. I did run into the crash on shutdown also. I'd like to first try to get stuff running in parallels before I invest in anything else...the next thing is to try to get midi working. My motu interface doesn't seem to be recognized at all...

UltraJv wrote:Use Bootcamp and run it through Windows that way. Its best for lowest latency and realtime audio will work ok.
Well, if I have to I will, but ideally I want to be able to work with windows and mac stuff at the same time.

I just don't see how this is going to work. I get problems every step of the way. Thanks for the dll fix so that I don't crash on shut down, and setting a higher buffer size definitely removes the distortion...

However, I simply cannot get any midi. I haven't received a definitive answer as to whether I need to install drives in windows for it to work (for instance, I don't for the audio driver - my impression was that parallels was doing the 'driving' - but I just can't get a clear answer) - but it doesn't seem to matter. It doesnt' look like the motu drivers or the midiman drivers will install in windows 7.

Ok - so there is an xp mode I can run in windows 7. Well, that won't work - I get the message that my hardware doesn't support it. There is a 'hotfix' but all sorts of warnings about it....at this point I just wonder - is this something that's really worth doing?

I really want vaz modular, but realistically, if I can't integrate it into my mac stuff somehow, I'll just hope for a mac version down the road. Maybe things work better in bootcamp, but then I can't integrate with the mac....

The other app I want to run would be fine under boot camp if I can get it to work, but it doesn't produce sound, and it's more of a pure editor program (vsig for eventide fx devices).

Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to me that there are many people doing this stuff. At least if I could find a setup that works I'd try it. The audio interface seems fine - but how do I get midi to work? In any case, money spent on parallels seems wasted at the moment.

Martin
By any chance are you working on a Mac version?
You are currently reading my signature.

I just got Crossover Games running with wineasio on 10.6, this has eluded me for over 6 months so I'm a bit chuffed :D OS X + VazMod + low latency! w00t!

(It's fiddly so I'll write up later)

Martin

From what I can tell (after a little searching) on the parallels forum - midi doesn't work there. It's funny - lots of people on various other forums post all of this stuff about using parallels, and obviously they themselves have never used it.

Well, it still can be useful to run some non-music apps.

But I'm going to try Crossover - they have a free demo. I ran into some comment that they have midi working in that.

Really want to find some solution to integrating vaz modular with my other stuff. Of course, I will upgrade to the mac version when it's available :)

MadGav wrote:I just got Crossover Games running with wineasio on 10.6, this has eluded me for over 6 months so I'm a bit chuffed :D OS X + VazMod + low latency! w00t!

(It's fiddly so I'll write up later)

Martin
Wait now - does this mean that you've gotten vaz to run in crossover? I got the demo, and vaz installed, but I had the close down crash and I don't see any way to install the dll fix.

Really want to find a way to make this work with midi.

And then, I'm gathering at this point - to get this to work in fusion with midi requires you to install the midi drivers in windows - but I (perhaps stupidly) picked up windows 7, and none of my interfaces have drivers for windows 7 yet. In fact, it doesn't look like there are many midi interfaces at all that have drivers for windows 7....

Hi drool,

To directly modify files in Crossover select Configure | Manage Bottles... and in the dialog select the bottle, click the Advanced tab then click Open C: Drive in Finder.

Crossover does support MIDI, and OS X comes with the IAC MIDI driver which is handy ;)

I *think* Fusion or Parallels should be able to use USB MIDI interfaces, can't Win7 use XP drivers? I guess not if you're using the 64-bit version...

I'm going to post a walkthrough of setting up JackWASIO on another thread, I'll post a link.

Martin

To directly modify files in Crossover select Configure | Manage Bottles... and in the dialog select the bottle, click the Advanced tab then click Open C: Drive in Finder.

Crossover does support MIDI, and OS X comes with the IAC MIDI driver which is handy ;)

I *think* Fusion or Parallels should be able to use USB MIDI interfaces, can't Win7 use XP drivers? I guess not if you're using the 64-bit version...

I'm going to post a walkthrough of setting up JackWASIO on another thread, I'll post a link.

Martin
hmmm - did that an put the replacement dll you gave me in the program files directory, but I still got the crash at shut down.

As far as I can tell, no one is using midi successfully with parallels. It apparently works with Fusion, and also with Crossover. The problem with Fusion (and boot camp) is that none of my midi interfaces are supported in windows 7 - so I'd have to buy another midi interface. Crossover seems ideal in that it appears to be using xp...but then again, the timing was pretty bad running the sequencer in vaz.

In addition, I have another program that I want to run that won't even install in Crossover.

So, I'm thinking that probably Fusion might be my best bet. I wish I hadn't spent the $ on parallels, though it wasn't that much. This all seems way more complicated than it was touted to me by various people...

!!!!!!!! Success! Kind of broke right now, but I've saved some money with this (Fusion has a 30 day trial, and now I don't need to buy a midi interface). So, I think I'm going to pick up Vaz - still really my favorite softsynth, though I also really like Zebra and Alchemy.

Midi is working just beautifully, as is Vaz, in Fusion.

I'm curious now to see whether I can get it working in Parallels - I made an amusing mistake, having not worked with music stuff on a pc in years....(note to myself - have to find out how to turn on file extensions in windows 7)...

I was trying to install the motu interface drivers within the zip file! Gloriously dumb....

I like the feel of Fusion better, and it feels snappier. Now I'm curious as to whether I can get this up and running in Parallels...

One tactical issue - the mac doesn't see any midi interface that you're using within the virtual machine. So I don't see a way of directing midi from the mac to the interface running within Fusion. I have it running now by coming out from a hardware sequencer directly into the midi interface, but how would you for instance send midi without having to make an actual physical connection? (need to think about this).

yup - got midi working on parallels also. But to my mind Fusion is faster, more uncluttered, and seems to work better (i had some weird behavior in another app).

So, I think I'm going to use fusion.

But damn - now that I've bought vaz, I'm going to have to wait I guess, because of the time difference.

Return to “VAZ Synths”