VazMod + MOTU + Doepfer = :)

Official support for: vaz-synths.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Finally have a DC-capable audio interface due to my lovely wife :) Definitely need to add a precision scale and offset module but a bunch of modules did the trick for a first play. Anyone been trying this kind of thing?

I have experimented a bit with interfacing VAZ with my modular. My setup uses an Expert Sleepers ES3 to convert ADAT out from an EMU 1212 to 8 channels of cv or modular level audio. I definitely would like to dig a bit deeper into the possibilites. It would be great if you could develop some more cv modules, but there is quite a lot in VAZ already. And its not just cv. I got great results using the wavetable, sample and granular oscillators to generate audio that complement the analogue oscillators in my modular. The ES3 outputs audio at modular 10v pp levels so its great for that purpose. I would also like to process audio from the modular through VAZ. I was thinking of using a Behringer ADA8000 to convert 8 channels of modular audio into ADAT which I could then input into VAZ. Some attenuation would probably be necessary though as modular audio levels are very hot. I am sure the modular would sound great processed through the juicy VAZ filters or even through plugins hosted in VAZ, although latency could be a problem.

MadGav wrote:Finally have a DC-capable audio interface due to my lovely wife :) Definitely need to add a precision scale and offset module but a bunch of modules did the trick for a first play. Anyone been trying this kind of thing?

seychell wrote:My setup uses an Expert Sleepers ES3 to convert ADAT
Do you use the Silent Way plugins?

I normally just output directly to the ADAT interface and the ES3 takes care of the conversion to analog audio or cv. I find the Expert Sleepers plugins most useful for key cv and gate signals, as an alternative to my otherwise excellent Kenton MIDI to cv converter.

Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

seychell wrote:I normally just output directly to the ADAT interface and the ES3 takes care of the conversion to analog audio or cv. I find the Expert Sleepers plugins most useful for key cv and gate signals, as an alternative to my otherwise excellent Kenton MIDI to cv converter.
Pretty much what I expected to hear, I have a Kenton too btw. Just run a Vaz gate through a Unipolar to get the correct 0/+5 levels, pitch CV scaling needs a module to make it easy. First cut will be manual calibration but easy enough with 1V/octave synths.

Mac only, requires dongle, pricy compared to Silent Way?

MadGav wrote:
Mac only, requires dongle, pricy compared to Silent Way?
Might be possible, just gave the link as you were using a MOTU soundcard.
Moreover I didn't see I was in another dev forum. Sorry about that.
(disclaimer I didn't work on this product though)
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Return to “VAZ Synths”