midiCurve - remap midi messages according to a curve

Official support for: thepiz.org
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

midiCurve - Maps a CC, velocity, aftertouch, and/or channel pressure according to a curve. Instructions are in the plugin (click "Help").

anybody ever try this?
wrongtastic, baby
tucson's number one gothic rock band since 1995

no.. but I'm going to! That looks like a very useful tool. Thanks!

insertpizhere wrote:anybody ever try this?
I will try it as soon as I am back home. I was looking for anything exactly like this. I wanted to use it for a "general one knob dj filter". Using this tool we could define the shape of the filter/eq curve.

Then I wanted to check if midiCCChanger can do the trick for mapping two different parameters of a filter, e.g. lowpass frequency and highpass frequency, as done in Single Knob Filter, meaning at 12 o'clock position they do not filter out anything. The left half is mapped for the lowpass frequency in such a way going from center to leftmost should keep more and more only bass sounds. The right half is mapped for the highpass frequency in such a way that it keeps from center to rightmost more and more only high frequency sounds.

The goal would be to control with a single knob, two parameters in complementary spaces (leftmost to center and center to rightmost), but also being able to define the exact curve for each side of the complementary space. Then you could use your favourite EQ/filter plugins and create your own DJ-Filter!

Do you think midiCCChanger and midiCurve could do the trick? I am planning to use those then in Ableton Live. Thanks for your great plugins.

that should work fine. let me know if you run into any problems.

one thing to note, midiCCChanger is outdated and has been replaced by midiConverter3, though you wouldn't need any of the features that have been added.
wrongtastic, baby

insertpizhere wrote:midiCurve - Maps a CC, velocity, aftertouch, and/or channel pressure according to a curve. Instructions are in the plugin (click "Help").
anybody ever try this?
I'v tested midiCurve with Jeskola Buzz. It works without problems. Thanks Piz.

cool, thanks for testing it. i love buzz.
wrongtastic, baby

I notice midiCurve has 2 audio ins and outs. Are these used for anything?

Also, it shows up as a VST instrument in the host away from all the regular VSTs. Same goes for midiStep. I think it is a bug/mistake.

It doesn't do anything with the audio, just passes it through. It needs to be a VST instrument to work as a MIDI effect in most hosts... you can rename it to midiCurve_fx to make it load as a VST effect instead.
wrongtastic, baby

oh man, i know its strange but could you do something just like this for pitchbend?

i use ntonyx controller adjuster now but it doesnt fully do what i need.

i play windsynth, yamaha wx5, and for some instruments it is nice to shape the pitch bend so as you play it feels like the instrument youre emulating, so like on a trumpet its nice to have a big center but then be able to go a little sharp and then suddenly break up to a 3rd and then up to a 5th and the same pretty much bending down but way more bend before breaking.

being able to draw it like your plugin would just plain rule.

thanks

this seemed like a good idea so i gave it a shot:
http://thepiz.org/pizmidi/midiPBCurve.zip

there is adjustable pitch bend range for the guidelines, which should be set to match the destination synth.
wrongtastic, baby

omg!! sweeeeeeet!

shoulve checked here an hour or 2 ago, i gotta run to the health club with gf for a few hours so i cant try this out for like probably 4-5 hours. im all over it then tho!

small deal but on wallanderinstruments.com WIVI, which is what ill likely be using this on the most, pitch bend up and down ranges are seperately adjustable.

especially not a big deal because whered id use this, and where i use ntonyx now, ill have them set evenly up and down.

and i think wivi is the only synth ive seen that on anyways.

you can hear (kinda) how im using the ntonyx live on some of the songs on my soundcloud page:

http://soundcloud.com/tonyostinato

its on the wiviharmonmutetrumpet1 and its also on 18 hours for the solos. i set it so i have a nice wide center where im in tune but if i bend really far it jumps pretty fast. that way i can kinda do that louie armstrong shake without sounding just plain wobbly.

its really something that should be an option on the wx5 itself but its nowhere near that fancy, theres a little toothpick size lever that leans up against the inside of the fake reed so as you move your lip on the reed it moves the lever and that controls the pitch bend. if you set the range of pitchbend transmission to full, which is where all the fun is, it can be ever so tough to maintain the center and if i dont my horn section mates wouldnt like it much.

so with the ntonyx ive still been able to have fun and yet be usable, but that only made me see how cool it would be to have a little more control and tricks.

i also have another midi plugin idea but ill start a new thread about that tonight. its a lot like nuendos "chorder" plugin but with just a coupole more features.

well i got it to load in nuendo as a vsti and routed to wivi but it didnt seem to be doing anything to pitchbend.

but aside from that i have to apologize for a misunderstanding, i was looking for a midi plugin like these:

http://www.midiplugins.com/

both chorder and ntonyx controller adjuster are midi plugins and theyre pretty handy for midi manipulation stuff like this.

i imagine its pretty involved to convert a vsti into a midi plugins at this point.

nevertheless thanks for the reaction time and attention.

to use it in nuendo, i think you have to load it in the instrument rack and then use two midi tracks. not very convenient, but it should work. i would like to release MFX versions of my plugins, but i don't know when i will have time to figure out how to do it.
wrongtastic, baby

Return to “Insert Piz Here”