midiPolyphony with more than 16 notes per channel?

Official support for: thepiz.org
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi insertpizhere,

i stumbled upon your plugin midiPolyphony which i'm about to use on my sm pro audio v-machine to prevent cpu hits. Therefore I set
LowChannel=1
HighChannel=1
PolyPerChan=16
SustainPedal=Use

This works exactly as expected (thank you for the good work), but 16 notes are not enough for me. I tried it also with HighChannel=2 to and PolyPerChan=10 to achieve 20 note polyphony, but this causes issues with the sustain pedal.

Is there a secret way to use a PolyPerChan higher than 16?
Or is it allowed to ask, if you would compile a custom version of midiPolyphony with an extended PolyPerChan range for me?

Best regards
psicolor

sure, assuming you want the Windows version, try this:
http://thepiz.org/pizmidi/midiPolyphony.zip

don't remember why i limited it to 16 notes per channel... it goes up to 64 now. i haven't tested this at all so let me know if there are any problems.
wrongtastic, baby
tucson's number one gothic rock band since 1995

Hi insertpizhere

thank you very much for this custom version. I guess you had a good reason to limit it to 16 notes per channel because now the plugin doesn't work correctly. With eg:
LowChannel=1
HighChannel=1
PolyPerChan=1
SustainPedal=Use

I can not play ANY note! I have to set PolyPerChan to at least 4 which allows me to play monophonic only. But when I now hold the sustain pedal I can stack up to 24 notes!

uploaded again, same link... i think there are still some problems but it might work better.
wrongtastic, baby

thanks!

Yeah, the plug now allows 4 simultaneous notes when I set PolyPerChan to 4. But the pedal thing still does not work. If I hold the sustain pedal, i'm able to play 24 notes at the same time.

ok, found a bug with the sustain handling. it actually wasn't doing anything. try it again...
wrongtastic, baby

wow, impressive high speed feedback!

But i fear this issue is getting more complex then we both thought primarily because the plugin is now in a very strange state. It's not easy to describe, because it seems unpredictable. Eg. after playing some notes with PolyPerChan less than 10, no more notes comes through, even after releasing all keys and the pedal. With PolyPerChan at 11 or 12 very often then also the StealOldNotes doesn't work and i can't play new notes. Hm, its really hard to describe, because the behaviour changes...

download it again and see if it's any better.

the problems are probably from bugs i introduced while working on something else that i never finished. i'll get it working eventually...
wrongtastic, baby

thank you!
The behaviour of this version is much more predictable: When I hold the pedal and play, after 26-31 notes the plugin seems to go on strike and doesn't send any more events. The old notes are not killed and new ones are not played. I also discovered that the number of tones after which the effect occurs seems to depend on PolyPerChan! With less PolyPerChan the plugin stops working after less notes.

i think i found the problem... should be able to handle 128 notes now. same link...
wrongtastic, baby

Thanks!
But the Plug still seems to stop working after some notes, it's not really predictable when, but i did never reach 100 notes until now.

I'm questioning myself why there's a max note counter after which the plugin stops working?

Just wanted to leave a well sounding *ping* :)

it's weird, because i can give it all 128 midi notes without any problems. i just uploaded another version, but it only has one small difference from the last one. if that doesn't work for you, i might have to send you a debug version or something...
wrongtastic, baby

Yes, please send me a debug version.
I can now play 128 notes with PolyPerChan=1. Then it stopps working. With more NotesPerChan it stops working earlier.

I'd also like to understand the need for a general limit. Shouldn't this work like a round robin database where the pointer always jumps to 0 when it hits the array's end?

i sent a debug version by e-mail. let me know if you don't get it.
wrongtastic, baby

Return to “Insert Piz Here”