Any Idea how to "compress" in sf2 format

Official support for: hgf-synthesizer.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yea Im currently working on a soundfont series and completed the project
BUT :?:
the files are too large to really run in FL studio. I try to run them in STS-24 pro but it can only load soundfonts in two separate slots (it sounds f**king great tho) without crashing any HG Fortune VST. Im trying to do a lil crossbreeding inside all of these vsts but the fonts are @ around .7-.9 Gigs and wont let me really open it up like i want to. I need a program to compress single soundfonts files that are 100 mb down so i can make another full soundfount. any ideas
:help:
Last edited by honest3won4 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

sf2 files for HG Fortune instruments should be mono wav files to start with.

There are other ways to reduce file sizes, but they do not always play well with other instruments.

What are you trying to make that is 7 to 9 gigs?

tHANKS FOR THE REPLY
Yea i just was taking handpicked soundfonts that i really like from piano sets and combine them not realizing most of these sounds are very large in size. So when i finally patched the font and it would crash if i loaded three soundfonts i created to the vst. my intenetions is no to have the soundfont too large so how do i change the wav to mono because im pretty sure all the ones i obtatined are in stereo.
Last edited by honest3won4 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Audio editor such as Adobe Audition - convert stereo to mono.

I am sure people here can come up with alternate ways....

I got crashes also in Scapes Wizard using long samples. You can set a limit up to 20 sec mono and transpose it one octave higher (sounds less bass two octaves) use wavosaur audio editor. For one octave set the root in sf2 to 72 for two octaves to 84 to get a correct sound. If a set containing all samples two octaves higher (84) you save three quarter of capacity. That tipp was given by Guenter Hager to me as he was still alive in summer 2009.

Okay I want to finish up the sound sets as soon as possible but I don’t want them ruining anyone’s system because the soundfonts take up so many resources. This brings me to another question about the editing, would I have to split the soundfonts and edit each one individually or could this be edited together?

A soundfont is basically a container for a WAV file. In the end, any editing you do will have to be done on the WAV file and then converted back into sf2.

What I would do is this:

Use a tool such as ESC to convert all of the sf2 to SFZ/WAV files. This allows you to open each WAV file in an audio editor and convert to mono, change the root note, etc....

Then, after all of the editing is finished, use a tool such as Viena to build new sf2 from scratch.

It sounds like a long process, and it can be. But all of your problems should be fixed along the way.

Thanks this answers my question. I was kinda hoping I could just edit the whole soundfont together but that makes more sense. It’s gonna take a little more time than I thought but it will be worth it. I think I’m going to remove all drums from the fonts and put them to the side just have some sick synths and strings and the whole thing to get some dope textures. :D :tu:

Glad I could help.... :)

During this day I upload a new file created with a self-builded instrument in Reaktor. Based on the Pro-53, an emulator of Prophet 5. This instrument is raw and weird.
https://archive.org/details/001LoopedInstruments
Bump an audio demo recorded with Xantos is here:
https://archive.org/details/ConvenienceSampling2018Pa

The new sf2 font called LP-I-pro-5r_raw-and-weird_001

I can't reach the edit page to add a SF2 on 001 Looped Instruments.
So it is here at the demo 'Bump'
https://archive.org/details/ConvenienceSampling2018Pa

Return to “HG Fortune”