Thread Lockers !

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->
User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
5320 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:09 am

chk071 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:52 am
And, if you're saying that this site is filled with smart people, then why don't these "smart people" act like smart people?
How do smart people act?

Smart isn’t a quantifier for polite, open to discussion or able to read and follow rules.

There is likely some correlation between “smart” and being a musician, but I don’t think being smart makes anyone behave any better than someone who is not considered smart.

User avatar
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF
5209 posts since 7 Jan, 2005 from Corporate States of America

Re: Thread Lockers !

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:48 am

machinesworking wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 am
It's really simple, refrain from personal attacks.

Refrain from subtle innuendo that someone's point of view is an indicator that they're stupid.
Wouldn’t it be nice if this was the way people behaved?

Actually, most KVR members do a fairly decent job. There are a few problem people. Some don’t seem to be aware of how to take care in their wording, but aren’t inherently aiming to irritate (social awkwardness; abounds on the Internet).

Some don’t feel it’s worth their effort to be careful with their words whatsoever. They put the responsibility of interpretation, being bothered or not, etc, entirely on others (not a good social ethos, but also common on the internet, especially in tech forums).

A very very tiny minority are actually huge trolls, which seem to be protected by the site admin, despite CONSTANTLY being aggressive jerks/trolls in every thread where they post. Why KVR tolerates this tiny minority of repeat offenders I will never understand. It’s self-destructive to the forum in several ways.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

AnX
KVRAF
5617 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: Thread Lockers !

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:50 am

Jace-BeOS wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:48 am
machinesworking wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 am
It's really simple, refrain from personal attacks.

Refrain from subtle innuendo that someone's point of view is an indicator that they're stupid.
Wouldn’t it be nice if this was the way people behaved?

Actually, most KVR members do a fairly decent job. There are a few problem people. Some don’t seem to be aware of how to take care in their wording, but aren’t inherently aiming to irritate (social awkwardness; abounds on the Internet).

Some don’t feel it’s worth their effort to be careful with their words whatsoever. They put the responsibility of interpretation, being bothered or not, etc, entirely on others (not a good social ethos, but also common on the internet, especially in tech forums).

A very very tiny minority are actually huge trolls, which seem to be protected by the site admin, despite CONSTANTLY being aggressive jerks/trolls in every thread where they post. Why KVR tolerates this tiny minority of repeat offenders I will never understand. It’s self-destructive to the forum in several ways.
Mod edit: seriously...you are trying to get this locked?

waiting man
KVRAF
2677 posts since 30 Aug, 2001 from where dinosaurs are still alive

Re: Thread Lockers !

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:06 am

Not fair to drag Whoopi Goldberg in this.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
53581 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Thread Lockers !

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:19 am

anger is an energy.
as is gas.

machinesworking
KVRAF
1870 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Re: Thread Lockers !

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:26 am

chk071 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:52 am
So, basically, someone says that company or product XY (which probably a lot of people use and like) is a steaming pile of crap, and you're asking me to reply "Yo... dude... your opinion might be ill-informed... it has been noted as a logical fallacy...". Well, nah, that will change as much as the modding here.
Yep, you can go on and on about how you don't like Apple for instance, come up with all kinds of conspiracy theories about how they're trying to take over the world etc. and I have to take it with a grain of salt. But if you start calling Apple users sheep or stupid for liking their products, you crossed that line.
And, if you're saying that this site is filled with smart people, then why don't these "smart people" act like smart people?
Because emotional intelligence has nothing to do with real world problem solving ability. Because I can not like your company, your music, your opinion on something, but I should be able to be civil about it.
Look at what's happening here, you're completley emotionally invested in whether or not someone comments in threads about Massive on their dislike of the synth. It's literally a Chevy VS Ford thing, who cares? It's definitely an NI thing more than anything else for sure, Logic, Apple, also generate this kind of heat, but somehow NI bring out the emotional angry responses.
Ask yourself this question, what level of critique of Massive are you willing to accept from people? because I don't see an acceptable level? What kind of discussion of the synth is it if it's only positive?

Same goes in reverse of course, but realize it's entirely within reason to make comments on a companies policies, but when you attack the employees or users of that companies product, you're getting into ad hominem attacks.

User avatar
Hink
Rad Grandad
29579 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Re: Thread Lockers !

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:09 am

Unaspected wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:46 am
I want to know. Um. Why it is that Massive X seems to have Satanic signs all over it? And what is it that makes... Does this synth cause you to do what you do?
they dont, here's the thing though a few jokers couldn't let it go and thought it sport to disregard mods and keep the same jokes going, intentionally being disrespectful to everyone.
Albert Einstein may have been a genius but his brother Frank was a monster

User avatar
Hink
Rad Grandad
29579 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Re: Thread Lockers !

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:06 pm

Did you notice this went away for a while? Thats because someone thought it funny to be an asshole troll...very tired of this disrespect and my good nature being taken advantage of...not happening anymore
Albert Einstein may have been a genius but his brother Frank was a monster

samsam
KVRAF
2901 posts since 9 Dec, 2008

Re: Thread Lockers !

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:57 pm

AnX wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:50 am
Jace-BeOS wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:48 am
machinesworking wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 am
It's really simple, refrain from personal attacks.

Refrain from subtle innuendo that someone's point of view is an indicator that they're stupid.
Wouldn’t it be nice if this was the way people behaved?

Actually, most KVR members do a fairly decent job. There are a few problem people. Some don’t seem to be aware of how to take care in their wording, but aren’t inherently aiming to irritate (social awkwardness; abounds on the Internet).

Some don’t feel it’s worth their effort to be careful with their words whatsoever. They put the responsibility of interpretation, being bothered or not, etc, entirely on others (not a good social ethos, but also common on the internet, especially in tech forums).

A very very tiny minority are actually huge trolls, which seem to be protected by the site admin, despite CONSTANTLY being aggressive jerks/trolls in every thread where they post. Why KVR tolerates this tiny minority of repeat offenders I will never understand. It’s self-destructive to the forum in several ways.
Mod edit: seriously...you are trying to get this locked?
Here's the thing. A few hours later Jace's post is still standing. Am I allowed to respond? Or will I get slapped down for replying?

chk071
KVRAF
22240 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Thread Lockers !

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:12 pm

Forgotten wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:09 am
chk071 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:52 am
And, if you're saying that this site is filled with smart people, then why don't these "smart people" act like smart people?
How do smart people act?

Smart isn’t a quantifier for polite, open to discussion or able to read and follow rules.
Maybe, but, i think trolling is pretty stupid. At the very least, it speaks volumes about your social skills, and your own ability to control your emotions, and to act... decent. Non stupid. Sort of.

So, yeah, i would say smart is a quantifier for polite open discussion, and the ability to read and follow rules, to a certain degree. Of course, it also depends on your general character. Or the things you want to make up for on the internet.

User avatar
Hink
Rad Grandad
29579 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Re: Thread Lockers !

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:12 pm

samsam wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:57 pm
AnX wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:50 am
Jace-BeOS wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:48 am
machinesworking wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 am
It's really simple, refrain from personal attacks.

Refrain from subtle innuendo that someone's point of view is an indicator that they're stupid.
Wouldn’t it be nice if this was the way people behaved?

Actually, most KVR members do a fairly decent job. There are a few problem people. Some don’t seem to be aware of how to take care in their wording, but aren’t inherently aiming to irritate (social awkwardness; abounds on the Internet).

Some don’t feel it’s worth their effort to be careful with their words whatsoever. They put the responsibility of interpretation, being bothered or not, etc, entirely on others (not a good social ethos, but also common on the internet, especially in tech forums).

A very very tiny minority are actually huge trolls, which seem to be protected by the site admin, despite CONSTANTLY being aggressive jerks/trolls in every thread where they post. Why KVR tolerates this tiny minority of repeat offenders I will never understand. It’s self-destructive to the forum in several ways.
Mod edit: seriously...you are trying to get this locked?
Here's the thing. A few hours later Jace's post is still standing. Am I allowed to respond? Or will I get slapped down for replying?
no, it has nothing to do with jace's post feel free (as long it's within the rules oc) I edited just a simple personal attack made (one that seems to ruffle a lot of feathers and serves no useful purpose), and yes it pissed me off..I know Dave was being cheeky but there is a time and place for it and this was not it.

To be fair, I erred because when I deleted the thread and then brought it back (called a soft delete) I was out with Holly having dinner and going for a ride), I checked my phone while she was in the lady's room and there was a PM from someone about this thread. As it was I was going to wait until I could go over at home on my laptop to restore it but I decided to do it there on my phone and I missed that quote...I apologize Dave, if I had of seen it, the quote would have been deleted, that's what I always try to do.

Now I want people to think about that last paragraph, I was out to eat with my honey but was still here too.

Now to Jace's point, naturally I agree on all but the last part, a great expression I like is your perception is your reality, I dont think I can argue your point with you because of that (not a bad thing ftr). This is very common everywhere, we all do it and so said expression applies to us all. Please keep in mind I was a high posting member for 13 years before I became a mod, I can absolutely understand your feelings, I do disagree but...here's the thing, my reality is I think KvR is great, we have so much to offer each other and do. We have many of the top name devs here on a regular basis, extremely intelligent people, people with all levels of talent and skills in so many ares people come here to learn.

I would hope people, some of which have known me for over 16 years, would know is, what I do I do for KvR and not any single person. I'll always be learning and growing as a mod, but what I do I do for the good of this place. I listen to you (as in kvr, not just you jace), I act for you, I advocate for you and I learn from you. I try to explain things when I can, I dont always just act like this thread appears to assume. I am out here on the forums all the time, I go into some threads with a little silly just to remind people I am there. I try to keep things very light and I am surely 90% clown. All I have ever asked for is just a little respect and part of that respect is simply having faith that Hink will always do his best kvr. Also understanding that I'm human, I make mistakes and sometimes I'm wrong because I also do try my best to make amends when I do err and I really hope that shows.
Albert Einstein may have been a genius but his brother Frank was a monster

machinesworking
KVRAF
1870 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Re: Thread Lockers !

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:27 pm

chk071 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:12 pm
Forgotten wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:09 am
chk071 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:52 am
And, if you're saying that this site is filled with smart people, then why don't these "smart people" act like smart people?
How do smart people act?

Smart isn’t a quantifier for polite, open to discussion or able to read and follow rules.
Maybe, but, i think trolling is pretty stupid. At the very least, it speaks volumes about your social skills, and your own ability to control your emotions, and to act... decent. Non stupid. Sort of.

So, yeah, i would say smart is a quantifier for polite open discussion, and the ability to read and follow rules, to a certain degree. Of course, it also depends on your general character. Or the things you want to make up for on the internet.
Trolling is an interesting concept. Here's the thing, I don't see many trolls here, I see a lot of unintentional trolling, i.e. inflammatory opinions that are not mine, like Apple is trying to force all developers to pay 50% of their profits, NI make inferior products because I don't like the feature set, X developer is trolling because they have issues with Apple etc. etc. Then there's a lot of butt hurt because of badly worded come backs. Most people go right to an emotional response when they're confronted with opinions that are not theirs.

I'm not saying you do BTW. We disagree about a lot of things but you're always civil.

AnX
KVRAF
5617 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: Thread Lockers !

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:07 am

ppl are too easily offended, as has been clearly demonstrated

chk071
KVRAF
22240 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Thread Lockers !

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:47 am

machinesworking wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:27 pm
chk071 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:12 pm
Forgotten wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:09 am
chk071 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:52 am
And, if you're saying that this site is filled with smart people, then why don't these "smart people" act like smart people?
How do smart people act?

Smart isn’t a quantifier for polite, open to discussion or able to read and follow rules.
Maybe, but, i think trolling is pretty stupid. At the very least, it speaks volumes about your social skills, and your own ability to control your emotions, and to act... decent. Non stupid. Sort of.

So, yeah, i would say smart is a quantifier for polite open discussion, and the ability to read and follow rules, to a certain degree. Of course, it also depends on your general character. Or the things you want to make up for on the internet.
Trolling is an interesting concept. Here's the thing, I don't see many trolls here, I see a lot of unintentional trolling, i.e. inflammatory opinions that are not mine, like Apple is trying to force all developers to pay 50% of their profits, NI make inferior products because I don't like the feature set, X developer is trolling because they have issues with Apple etc. etc. Then there's a lot of butt hurt because of badly worded come backs. Most people go right to an emotional response when they're confronted with opinions that are not theirs.
True, and i also agree that the ones who troll are the vast minority.

Actually, i wanted to quote a few things from the latest NI thread, to show some good examples for trolling. I found 2 posts by the same person in the whole trhead, which would really qualify for pure trolling for me. Less than i expected. Which leads me, once again, to the realization that you really remember and see the negative stuff rather than the positive stuff. :)

I still think such individuals should receive a warning, when they have nothing to add to the topic at all, except for negativity, and pissing others into their morning tea. At least, that's my comprehension of communication, and dealing with adults. If i want pissy behavior, i can go to the Youtube comments, or to some dumb gaming forums.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
53581 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Thread Lockers !

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:52 am

youtube takes it to whole new levels of idiocy though.
i once saw a commenter accuse a cat, of being a nazi.
bad enough in itself but then the huge argument afterwards :o

one of those "i kinda wish a giant asteroid would hit" moments.

Return to “Off Topic”