How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->
User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
37102 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:06 pm

does pornhub count as a forum?
otherwise, just here.

goldenanalog
KVRAF
1567 posts since 7 Dec, 2005 from somewhere between analog and digital

Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Post Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:39 pm

Non-Facebook: just this one - which is superb, btw -

I'm sick today - I feel like crap - but one of the threads running here genuinely made my day! Thanks y'all for that!

Facebook: a couple of ghosts/hauntings centric groups; and a couple that focus specifically on a game (No Man's Sky - which by the way has some amazing music in it!)

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
15309 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:40 pm

I sometimes react to something at youtube if that counts. Other than KVR, none. I did "Composer's Forum", a Ning forum. years ago... all forums are KVR so why bother, all the humanity and bullshit is right here for yez.

I prefer Facebook which as a forum is populated mainly by people I have pre-approved, whose right to serve me can be revoked for all of time.

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
15309 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:42 pm

vurt wrote:does pornhub count as a forum?
No. No, it does not.

User avatar
Vortifex
KVRian
851 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Post Tue May 01, 2018 7:02 am

5. This one, a couple of forums related to my illness, and a couple of forums related to games I like to play (EVE and WoW).

User avatar
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF
4663 posts since 7 Jan, 2005 from Corporate States of America

Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Post Wed May 02, 2018 4:41 am

Mostly just here. Sometimes Gearslutz, but I have prioritized KVR over it because I've found KVR to be more diverse and entertaining. Occasionally I visit other more specialized forums like Logic Pro Help/Users and hardware-specific forums, but that's just for very specific tech issues and never socializing.

KVR is the only place I've actively engaged as a social experience (except Facebook, which is its own topic). Aside from Gearslutz, KVR is the only forum I've found which feels like a community of sorts. There's generally a consistent user base and, generally, I find that user base pleasant.

As for Facebook... it's a pile of distractions to me, and I find it hard to constrain that aspect of it while on it... because that's what it is *actively designed* to do.

Its interface is abysmal, in terms of bugs and general usability (especially on mobile browsers, and I refuse to let them drive me to their apps). Facebook is not designed for communication of any depth. It's designed to lure people in with the ability to "react" or make one or two phrase comments on a thing, while throwing distractions at them, using them for marketing purposes, and failing to serve them whatsoever (because the users are their product). Its real purpose shows.

The only thing I can give Facebook credit for is the ability to take what's there and make your own isolated groups of pre-approved, less anonymous, people. Thing is, I've little motivation to create and moderate a group when, ultimately, Facebook policy rules all. One hostile entity can trigger Facebook to wipe out a "community" without a word of discussion, and without a legitimate complaint or a violation of terms of service.

This is the lesson I learned on Flickr years ago. It was a great place to share photographic art and develop social bonds with fellow artists; I spent a LOT of time there. However, the actual ownership and management had no interest in art (just surface-happy snapshots), and their GUI changes have obfuscated the actual purpose of the tool (or are revealing the new purpose). You could play exactly by their terms and still get deleted just because of one bitter person who'd decided to make themselves an enemy of you.

I've considered starting a forum of my own, but I have no interest in management. If it became used heavily, I'd have no way to pay for the required extra bandwidth and storage. So, I stick with my visits to here and, grudgingly, Facebook.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
15309 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Post Sun May 06, 2018 7:05 pm

FB is a distraction, exactly what I look for. KVR is at times, when it's most like FB. I render a lot of audio and I don't much care to sit here looking at the progress bar. AND I tend to hyperfocus so I found a need to break focus regularly. Since 1/20/17 FB is drumpf all the time, though, unless you know where to look to avoid it.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
37102 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Post Mon May 07, 2018 2:04 pm

jancivil wrote:
vurt wrote:does pornhub count as a forum?
No. No, it does not.

id hope you know im joking?

ghettosynth
KVRAF
11097 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Post Mon May 07, 2018 2:13 pm

Jace-BeOS wrote: As for Facebook... it's a pile of distractions to me, and I find it hard to constrain that aspect of it while on it... because that's what it is *actively designed* to do.
It's worth it to put some effort into it. I turn off the news feed and carefully pick groups and pages to engage. It's not a forum though so it's not a replacement for everything, but, for many things, including limiting overly long threads, e.g., this one, the temporal nature of it works better.

The ability to temporarily, or even permanently, sever disengagement from individuals or groups is a big deal. Once you start tuning that it works a lot better.

The Chase
KVRAF
10535 posts since 13 Jun, 2004 from Alberto Balsam

Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Post Mon May 07, 2018 4:24 pm

Not sure if you want to count subreddits individually, but:

Here (I'm in and out over the last half of my life)
DOA
/r/edmproduction and /r/audioengineering

woggle
KVRAF
1802 posts since 24 Nov, 2012

Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Post Mon May 07, 2018 4:41 pm

kvr and vi-control, sometimes ambientonline

I have looked at others but nothing has jumped out and added something to those enough to have me visit more than once or twice a year

Facebook I hate (as per Jace-BEOS reasons ) but is useful for a few friends overseas. Other than that I could dump it and have done at times

Twitter I have resisted since it earliest days but lately have found it useful as a specialised news feed

The whole mobile/click / ooh another food pellet has been a disaster infecting even companies with a history of reasonably serious journalism. I could dump the net completely without too much trouble and am always looking for ways to trim down what gets fed to me

woggle
KVRAF
1802 posts since 24 Nov, 2012

Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Post Mon May 07, 2018 4:42 pm

ghettosynth wrote:
The ability to temporarily, or even permanently, sever disengagement from individuals or groups is a big deal. Once you start tuning that it works a lot better.
this is a good point

User avatar
Hink
Rad Grandad
27201 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Post Mon May 07, 2018 4:56 pm

ghettosynth wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote: As for Facebook... it's a pile of distractions to me, and I find it hard to constrain that aspect of it while on it... because that's what it is *actively designed* to do.
It's worth it to put some effort into it. I turn off the news feed and carefully pick groups and pages to engage. It's not a forum though so it's not a replacement for everything, but, for many things, including limiting overly long threads, e.g., this one, the temporal nature of it works better.

The ability to temporarily, or even permanently, sever disengagement from individuals or groups is a big deal. Once you start tuning that it works a lot better.
if you're using firefox get facebook purity
sometimes I feel like I stumbled upon a sea of intelligence...at low tide

woggle
KVRAF
1802 posts since 24 Nov, 2012

Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Post Mon May 07, 2018 5:07 pm

Hink wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote: As for Facebook... it's a pile of distractions to me, and I find it hard to constrain that aspect of it while on it... because that's what it is *actively designed* to do.
It's worth it to put some effort into it. I turn off the news feed and carefully pick groups and pages to engage. It's not a forum though so it's not a replacement for everything, but, for many things, including limiting overly long threads, e.g., this one, the temporal nature of it works better.

The ability to temporarily, or even permanently, sever disengagement from individuals or groups is a big deal. Once you start tuning that it works a lot better.
if you're using firefox get facebook purity
works on chrome as well - thanks for that suggestion

ghettosynth
KVRAF
11097 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Re: How many forums do you still actively involve yourself in?

Post Mon May 07, 2018 5:15 pm

woggle wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
The ability to temporarily, or even permanently, sever disengagement from individuals or groups is a big deal. Once you start tuning that it works a lot better.
this is a good point
Of course I meant to say "sever engagement" but got caught up in a double negative rewriting without rereading moment, ah well.

But, yes, it makes a difference. Also, I don't use fb like most people do, I have a strict "no family" rule. Unless, of course, you mean the contemporary definition of "fam", then it's all family, fam. Also, no coworkers unless they also happen to be "fam," and that's pretty rare.

The engagement of interest is largely in groups, but you have to turn your curation gene up to eleven and sometimes it takes time to figure out which ones are worth the time and which ones aren't, kind of like forums.

Thanks for linking ambientonline. Maybe it's the grass is greener thing but I noticed that they are much more supportive of each other with respect to methods than KVR. I'm not sure whether or not that's because KVR has a weird and weak selection of forum names/subjects that are driven by inertia and a somewhat muddled mission over the years, or whether it has more to do with the genre focus. I have noticed the same thing though, in other focused groups and forums which is why I do like FB. It's possible to have a very niche group on FB and you will eventually find people that fit.

Return to “Off Topic”