Hammond Novachord - shockingly beautiful

Official support for: hollowsun.com
HideawayStudio
KVRist
246 posts since 23 Dec, 2009 from UK

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:14 pm

dougsyo wrote:
taijiguy wrote:Phil Cirocco was supposed to come out with a sample set of his Novachord quite a while ago and has been procrastinating, so I'm looking forward to this sample set becoming available soon. He has a solo Novachord CD on sale at CD Baby that's worthwhile getting.

BTW, there's a guy on the Yahoo newmellotrongroup that has four Novachords stashed away.
Yah, I've been waiting for Phil's as well. Since his (#1256) has been restored with new components and #346 has not, I will probably get both as they become available :D

Doug
I must admit that would be a very interesting comparison. I suspect 1256 will sound slightly brighter than 346 and smoother/more consistent across the keyboard due to better calibration but the real question is which one sounds more authentic?? If you listen to vintage recordings you can often hear that they weren't fantastically well calibrated even then and this, in my opinion, is part of the original sound.

It's been 5 years since Phil's epic restoration, knowing how much effort we've put into sampling 346, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a sample archive of 1256. Sampling 346 has really pushed Steve's 30 year+ experience to the limit, not only thanks to 346 being a little out of tune and slightly rough around the gills but mainly due to the Novachord's rather bizarre electromechanical 6 channel vibrato unit which is free running and never runs at the same speed from one second to another making smooth looping a nightmare!! :)
Home of Novachord #346...

himalaya
KVRAF
5171 posts since 23 Mar, 2006 from pendeLondonmonium

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:21 pm

HideawayStudio wrote: I've just realised you are the guy behind those wonderful SY77 patch disks - I've been a huge fan of SY77 since it's release. I have both an SY77 and TG77 in the studio, both of which I've updated with bright blue inverted LED backlit LCD modules - so clear you can now read the display on the other side of the studio :)
Hey, thanks. :)

I wish I had the will power and mental dexterity to retrofit one of those blue LCD screens into my SY77 too. I've seem how gorgeous they look once operational.
But this is nowhere near as gorgeous as the front panel of the Novachord. I've just seen your pic with the restored instrument. :love:
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design

User avatar
DocAtlas
KVRian
1006 posts since 11 Jan, 2006 from Pittsburgh

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:47 pm

HideawayStudio wrote:
himalaya wrote:
HideawayStudio wrote: If you have any technical questions, no matter how complex - feel free to ask as I've spent months clambering all over this beauty!!
I've just realised you are the guy behind those wonderful SY77 patch disks - I've been a huge fan of SY77 since it's release. I have both an SY77 and TG77 in the studio, both of which I've updated with bright blue inverted LED backlit LCD modules - so clear you can now read the display on the other side of the studio :)
Where can you get those LCDs? The display on my TG77 has been getting dimmer, and it's going to need changed one of these days.

HideawayStudio
KVRist
246 posts since 23 Dec, 2009 from UK

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:10 am

DocAtlas wrote:
HideawayStudio wrote:
himalaya wrote:
HideawayStudio wrote: If you have any technical questions, no matter how complex - feel free to ask as I've spent months clambering all over this beauty!!
I've just realised you are the guy behind those wonderful SY77 patch disks - I've been a huge fan of SY77 since it's release. I have both an SY77 and TG77 in the studio, both of which I've updated with bright blue inverted LED backlit LCD modules - so clear you can now read the display on the other side of the studio :)
Where can you get those LCDs? The display on my TG77 has been getting dimmer, and it's going to need changed one of these days.
This is OT so I'll keep this short - here is my thread on the subject:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 85&start=0

You can purchase the module here:

http://www.zinguy.com/lcdpage.htm

You must read the thread as, although you are very lucky you have a TG77 over an SY77 as the fitment is MUCH easier, it will still require you modifying the position of the crystal on the back of the lcd module.
Home of Novachord #346...

User avatar
DocAtlas
KVRian
1006 posts since 11 Jan, 2006 from Pittsburgh

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:23 am

HideawayStudio wrote:
DocAtlas wrote:
HideawayStudio wrote:
himalaya wrote:
HideawayStudio wrote: If you have any technical questions, no matter how complex - feel free to ask as I've spent months clambering all over this beauty!!
I've just realised you are the guy behind those wonderful SY77 patch disks - I've been a huge fan of SY77 since it's release. I have both an SY77 and TG77 in the studio, both of which I've updated with bright blue inverted LED backlit LCD modules - so clear you can now read the display on the other side of the studio :)
Where can you get those LCDs? The display on my TG77 has been getting dimmer, and it's going to need changed one of these days.
This is OT so I'll keep this short - here is my thread on the subject:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 85&start=0

You can purchase the module here:

http://www.zinguy.com/lcdpage.htm

You must read the thread as, although you are very lucky you have a TG77 over an SY77 as the fitment is MUCH easier, it will still require you modifying the position of the crystal on the back of the lcd module.
Thanks, I didn't mean to go OT, but that was the first I had heard of the product.

Back on topic, I am anxiously awaiting the release of the Novachord library. I have Hollowsun's FS1R library, and it's top notch.

User avatar
hollowsun
KVRAF
1597 posts since 15 Jan, 2005 from Vales Of Glamorgan, South Wales, UK

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:53 pm

DocAtlas wrote:Back on topic, I am anxiously awaiting the release of the Novachord library. I have Hollowsun's FS1R library, and it's top notch.
:)

Glad you like it!

Cheers,


Steve

HideawayStudio
KVRist
246 posts since 23 Dec, 2009 from UK

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:45 am

Today's Update:

I have spent 8 hours solid this weekend recording, capturing, dehumming, and assembling every working note for two more patches into raw sample sets for Steve to work on. This time it's been the trumpet timbre (yes the Novachord can even do brass... well after a fashion!) and also a warm piano like timbre. It is a labour of love just to get this far. Steve then has to tune each note, very carefully loop them manually pushing his 20+ years experience to the limit as anything with vibrato switched on is an absolute pig to loop. Now bare in mind that Steve has all sorts of automated looping tools at his fingertips and he still choses to loop these by hand - this reminds me of those who design pcbs - the very best engineers do everything manually and wouldn't dream of using an autorouter. They then have to be assembled into multisamples and any missing notes filled in as best as possible. The final icing on the cake is to add outboard.

This afternoon I had reverted to play testing and I must say that some of these are just staggering considering that this is simply raw Novachord fed into outboard and furthermore these samples are really playing over several seconds - they are living and breathing, not simply a few waveforms looped in an editor.

I am absolutely in love with the ensembles we have produced using this beast. The Novachord is more than the world's first String Machine, although I must admit it does it damn well! And before anyone accuses us of cheating - you can make the real thing sound just like this too - albeit slightly more out of tune in my case. Phil Cirocco's recordings on "Music Of the Electron" are proof of this.

Again, please excuse the occasional click and pop - my laptop isn't really up to this!

Strings Galore! Novachord 346 Ensemble Demo - Played in Kontakt 4:
http://www.last.fm/music/D.A.Wilson/_/S ... ?autostart
Home of Novachord #346...

User avatar
toine6
KVRian
1308 posts since 29 Mar, 2002 from Salt Lake City, Utah - U.S.A.

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:46 am

HideawayStudio wrote:Today's Update:

I am absolutely in love with the ensembles we have produced using this beast. The Novachord is more than the world's first String Machine, although I must admit it does it damn well! And before anyone accuses us of cheating - you can make the real thing sound just like this too - albeit slightly more out of tune in my case. Phil Cirocco's recordings on "Music Of the Electron" are proof of this.

Strings Galore! Novachord 346 Ensemble Demo - Played in Kontakt 4:
http://www.last.fm/music/D.A.Wilson/_/S ... ?autostart
Wow, very beautiful indeed. Hard not to fall in love with an emotional sound like that, so sweet and gorgeous. :love: Just oozes with deep richness, warmth, harmony, love and romance. Who knew? And it's been sitting under our noses for how many years?

HideawayStudio
KVRist
246 posts since 23 Dec, 2009 from UK

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:52 am

toine6 wrote:
HideawayStudio wrote:Today's Update:

I am absolutely in love with the ensembles we have produced using this beast. The Novachord is more than the world's first String Machine, although I must admit it does it damn well! And before anyone accuses us of cheating - you can make the real thing sound just like this too - albeit slightly more out of tune in my case. Phil Cirocco's recordings on "Music Of the Electron" are proof of this.

Strings Galore! Novachord 346 Ensemble Demo - Played in Kontakt 4:
http://www.last.fm/music/D.A.Wilson/_/S ... ?autostart
Wow, very beautiful indeed. Hard not to fall in love with an emotional sound like that, so sweet and gorgeous. :love: Just oozes with deep richness, warmth, harmony, love and romance. Who knew? And it's been sitting under our noses for how many years?
Thanks for that - I've just had a flurry of emails come in with similar comments :)

In fact - I've just had an email from Thomas Grillo a superb Theremin player - he wants to overdub this recording with Theremin - 70 Year old Novachord vs 80 year old Theremin! Now that's not a recording you hear every day!! :)
Home of Novachord #346...

tman2k (Meathook Audio)
KVRist
363 posts since 2 Mar, 2008 from London, Ontario, Canada

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:00 pm

HideawayStudio wrote: Strings Galore! Novachord 346 Ensemble Demo - Played in Kontakt 4:
http://www.last.fm/music/D.A.Wilson/_/S ... ?autostart
WOW!!! :shock: :-o

That sounds absolutely incredible! I can't wait for this...definitely on the top of my to-purchase list when it comes out...

dougsyo
KVRAF
3485 posts since 9 Apr, 2003 from NE Ohio, USA

Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:10 am

HideawayStudio wrote:Strings Galore! Novachord 346 Ensemble Demo - Played in Kontakt 4:
http://www.last.fm/music/D.A.Wilson/_/S ... ?autostart
I only hope that Kontakt4 is not going to be the starting point for this beaut!

Doug (K3 user)
Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad - Spock, in "I, Mudd"

For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm

HideawayStudio
KVRist
246 posts since 23 Dec, 2009 from UK

Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:43 am

dougsyo wrote:
HideawayStudio wrote:Strings Galore! Novachord 346 Ensemble Demo - Played in Kontakt 4:
http://www.last.fm/music/D.A.Wilson/_/S ... ?autostart
I only hope that Kontakt4 is not going to be the starting point for this beaut!

Doug (K3 user)
No probs... Kontakt support will be in Kontakt 3 format so you're ok :)
Home of Novachord #346...

HideawayStudio
KVRist
246 posts since 23 Dec, 2009 from UK

Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm in shock!!... I've just had the first rough cut of our Theremin and Novachord duet back from Thomas Grillo and I nearly fell off my chair - it's spectacular! I can't wait to get my hands on the raw digital audio and mix this one.

Watch this space.....
Home of Novachord #346...

hammondrebuilder
KVRer
1 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Re: Hammond Novachord - shockingly beautiful

Post Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:10 pm

I just purchased Novachord serial number #217. I am attempting to rebuild it. I just had a few questions if you would be able to help.

User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
19289 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Hammond Novachord - shockingly beautiful

Post Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:22 pm

Contact Dan directly, visit his Hideaway Studio website for contact details.

Return to “Hollow Sun”