Calling all Hollow Sun users! - K4/K5 poll

Archived support for: hollowsun.com

Would you like Hollow Sun to start utilising K5 features?

Yes - start switching to K5
54%
No - please remain with K4
23%
Having both would be cool!
23%

Total votes: 113

RELATED
PRODUCTS

We are talking ultimately about sample playback here. To me, whatever filter improvements there are in 5 that will be obsolete in 6 are surely more than made up for by the sampling process and scripting by the dev.I say 4 then 8.

thisplace wrote:To me, whatever filter improvements there are in 5 that will be obsolete in 6 are surely more than made up for by the sampling process and scripting by the dev.
This is not quite true...

What I'd like to know is what the 1% want.

50% want K5
27% K4 and 22% want both. 27 + 22 = 49%

It looks like a split down the middle, if only those one percenters would speak their mind. Or the KVR poll widget could perform simple math.

Since I'm at 4 and won't upgrade until 6, my answer for the moment is status quo, but could change in the future.

Tough call for you guys. You can either enhance 50% of your userbase or alienate 50% of your users. Democracy is a bitch.
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

but both means k5 also so why you only count the 22% to k4 only? it would be right to add them to both = k5 approx 72%.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Thing is, we wouldn't alienate anyone, because K4 products would still be available. If we do an update for HSDV and DrumBox for K5, it would be more like a redux, a completely new product with new features and a different GUI - not just a tacked on update. We wouldn't do a K5 product just for the sake of it being K5 - we would actually use what K5 offers - much better filters, instrument busses...

Maybe wait till the ni half off upgrade sale that never happened this summer. Lol. .

About how much sales would you lose if the new Hollow Sun products wouldn't be compatible with Kontakt 4 ? I think this makes the 50/50 preference proportion more prone to keeping support for Kontakt 4.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

I don't think I'm gonna move up from K4 anytime soon, not until I'm forced to move from XP, which actually doesn't have to happen at all. NI dropping support for XP is a perfect excuse to jump out of GAS powered upgrading train, I have way too much stuff already. That said I will probably keep an eye on small K4 libraries, just because once in a while I just like to buy something.

Timfonie wrote:About how much sales would you lose if the new Hollow Sun products wouldn't be compatible with Kontakt 4 ? I think this makes the 50/50 preference proportion more prone to keeping support for Kontakt 4.
EvilDragon just said that this "wouldn't alienate anyone, because K4 products would still be available."

2 post above yours. :wink:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

I'm still on K4 and currently see no reason to upgrade to K5. Would be a pity to no longer have to consider purchases of HS samplesets. I really like those.

HiEnergy wrote:I'm still on K4 and currently see no reason to upgrade to K5. Would be a pity to no longer have to consider purchases of HS samplesets. I really like those.
EvilDragon just said that this "wouldn't alienate anyone, because K4 products would still be available."

funny.. i only need to copy/paste it over and over again. :lol:

I have K5, so of course I want it to be utilized to it's fullest potential.

However, for various reasons, I remember fussing for a long time over whether or to upgrade from K3 to K4. Money 'verses' Feature Updates etc.

Summing up, I'd say that a developer should probably always remain one step behind the current version of Kontakt.

I voted K5 but I'd recommend K4.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I want sfz...
You can't always get what you waaaant...

HiEnergy wrote:I'm still on K4 and currently see no reason to upgrade to K5. Would be a pity to no longer have to consider purchases of HS samplesets. I really like those.
Yeah, it's not like we would stop making K4 libraries. As I said - we would make a K5 library only when we would need to use certain K5 features. Personally, I feel that HSDV and DrumBox are completely not living up to their potential they could have with instrument busses, which enable us to do separate FX processing for each kitpiece. This is ESPECIALLY true for DrumBox. Also there is one other aspect of the DrumBox that would be better in K5 - one wouldn't need to click three times to select a drum machine - that's one of K4 limitations, where you can't hide entries from a dropdown menu, so I had to painfully work around it by using 10 buttons and one menu for a list of drum machines, then one menu for EACH drum machine. It's horrible :D In K5 hiding menu entries is possible, so this problem would be more easily resolved, and one would NOT need to click thrice, but just twice - once to open a menu, and second time to select a drum machine.

K5 is really a decent step up from K4. Those filters alone are well worth the admission price, IMHO.
stanlea wrote:I want sfz...
It's too limited compared to what we can do with Kontakt.

Thanks for clarifying. Yet I still don't understand it completely. If K4 users will not be alienated (I translate this to: they will not find any HS products they aren't able to use), it means there will be also K4 versions of the products which take advantage of special K5's features. I assume that's option 3 in the poll. Then what is option 1? Start switching to K5 (only for some products) and don't make K4 versions of those?
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Return to “Hollow Sun”