Requests/Wishlist

Official support for: photosounder.com
KVRist
462 posts since 10 Dec, 2010

Post Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:04 pm

A_SN wrote:
Optomadic wrote:Serious request: It would be nice if there was a macro recorder for long and or repetitive tasks.
Oh also, what kind of repetitive tasks? What do they do? I'm thinking maybe in next release I could bundle a bunch of scripts to do them.
How about a marco to extract all audio within a certain range? i.e. isolate everything 100% within 123Hz - 345Hz (and all folliwing harmonics) and then hit the Mask Invert button to have a listen rather than painting the range by hand?

KVRist
462 posts since 10 Dec, 2010

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:42 am

I would also love a 'select' feature similar to windows 'Paint'.

I would select an area, copy and then paste it into the picture to repeat parts or replace one part of the picture with another part... really mix it up or clean things up.

KVRist
465 posts since 27 Nov, 2009

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Just some ideas:

Layer colors or some kind of identifier even just text somewhere that told me what layer I'm on without going to the layers menu. If I have for example 10 layers it gets awfully confusing where I am.

Mute/hide layers. View current layer is good, but it doesn't stop the sound and sometimes I want to see/hear a few, but not all.

Layer names. If I'm building envelopes or whatever it would be a helpful way to remember. And if you do a merge all layers to new it would be nice if it was called merged or something.

A way to move layer separators.

Keyboard shortcut/floating window or something to easily switch between layers.

Drag and drop audio and to a lesser extent pictures. If I could move audio files between Logic for example it would be joyous. I don't think I'll really have the processing power to use photosounder as a VST/AU for a few years at least anyway. :) BTW on my XP computer it seems to use only one core(50% cpu usage)? Do I have something set up wrong? Affinity is set to both cores.

Confirm on new file creation(and quit) especially if what you're working isn't saved. Yes, I'm an idiot :oops:, but it would be nice. Will the scripting make this irrelevant?

Acronym for photosounder? It's too long to keep typing out. :lol:

KVRian

Topic Starter

1003 posts since 6 May, 2008 from Poland

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:04 pm

jonahs wrote:Just some ideas:

Layer colors or some kind of identifier even just text somewhere that told me what layer I'm on without going to the layers menu. If I have for example 10 layers it gets awfully confusing where I am.
I could definitely have it say which layer it is in the little text on the lower left corner, and the layer colors idea is a good idea, do you have any ideas for a colour scheme though? Also that wouldn't work if you're on something like a Multiply layer (or mostly anything but an Addition layer), cause it affects everything below itself.
jonahs wrote:Mute/hide layers. View current layer is good, but it doesn't stop the sound and sometimes I want to see/hear a few, but not all.
In the next release there will be an option to View/Edit (and only hear) the current group of layers (as separated by separators), and in the future (more like the somewhat distant future) I intend to make some fancy graphical layers editor where you'd see all layers at once and could do fast things like disabling/enabling/reordering them.
jonahs wrote:Layer names. If I'm building envelopes or whatever it would be a helpful way to remember. And if you do a merge all layers to new it would be nice if it was called merged or something.
I'm considering offering a way to rename the layers, but I have yet to have a way to input texts that works on both PC and Mac.
jonahs wrote:A way to move layer separators.
You can already do that, it's the same way as moving layers, you select the separator and use the commands Move Layer Up/Down. In memory separators are just like layers, the only distinction is they do not have an image buffer (since they do not hold image data), so for most things they are handled the same way.
jonahs wrote:Keyboard shortcut/floating window or something to easily switch between layers.
I've been thinking of a way to have a list of menus in the interface for a while but I couldn't really think of any satisfying one yet. My best option is to have an optional permanent list along the right side of the image, would that be good?
jonahs wrote:Drag and drop audio and to a lesser extent pictures. If I could move audio files between Logic for example it would be joyous. I don't think I'll really have the processing power to use photosounder as a VST/AU for a few years at least anyway. :) BTW on my XP computer it seems to use only one core(50% cpu usage)? Do I have something set up wrong? Affinity is set to both cores.
That's been on my todo list for a long time (I even started doing it before I released v1.0) and I even started doing it on the Windows version but that seemed complicated (I usually implement things very fast but when it comes to platform-specific things I find everything hard) so I saved that for later. That's still on my todo list, but there are so many things on there!
jonahs wrote:Confirm on new file creation(and quit) especially if what you're working isn't saved. Yes, I'm an idiot :oops:, but it would be nice. Will the scripting make this irrelevant?
Ah actually I already have that on the latest unreleased Windows version, it asks whether you want to save or not when you create a new thing or open something. But not when you close the program because since it saves everything you can resume your session when you start Photosounder again.
jonahs wrote:Acronym for photosounder? It's too long to keep typing out. :lol:
Can't think of any really :D at least none that don't make it sound like Photoshop (well PS is already taken by it for one thing). PhS? I don't know.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

KVRAF
3065 posts since 18 May, 2003 from Sweden

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:43 pm

PhD? PhotosounDer… ;-)

Looking forward to the realization of the enticing new features!

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

KVRist
465 posts since 27 Nov, 2009

Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:56 pm

Good point about color and it would probably be a little counterintuitive that it had no effect on the sound. Text in the corner that showed the layer number and operation would work.

An optional permanent list would be great and while it was open it would solve the problem of layer id. Even if it was just a "hacked" mirror of the Layers drop down menu it would work well enough for me.

Moving separators does work, :lol: I think I did it wrong and never tried again.

I just had an idea and it may stink, but what if you could hit capslock as a toggle and it would act as if you where clicking on the spray width or tool intensity button, whichever you had clicked last. Let tab move between the two. The standard ctrl and shift modifier would still work. I dunno, it just feels ponderous going back and forth with the mouse.

I'd still like a non-mouse way to change spray width or tool intensity because changing these while you draw would let you get some cool effects quickly...

KVRian

Topic Starter

1003 posts since 6 May, 2008 from Poland

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:20 pm

jonahs wrote:An optional permanent list would be great and while it was open it would solve the problem of layer id. Even if it was just a "hacked" mirror of the Layers drop down menu it would work well enough for me.
Yeah, I'll probably get around to doing that. It'll probably have some functions that the menu doesn't have, like you could directly drag and drop layers to change their position, something like that. Might take me some time, cause it takes me time whenever I want to add a new GUI element since I created the user interface from scratch (I even made the font/text rendering system form scratch lol). As it is it actually uses a very few elements (knobs, buttons, texts, menu bar, alert and file dialogs, that's about it).
jonahs wrote:I just had an idea and it may stink, but what if you could hit capslock as a toggle and it would act as if you where clicking on the spray width or tool intensity button, whichever you had clicked last. Let tab move between the two. The standard ctrl and shift modifier would still work. I dunno, it just feels ponderous going back and forth with the mouse.

I'd still like a non-mouse way to change spray width or tool intensity because changing these while you draw would let you get some cool effects quickly...
Yeah that would be cool to be able to tune down the intensity to make it fade away as you draw, or to taper the end of a line or something, but unless you'd have dedicated physical knobs to control these (which would be very cool), I don't see how you can do that right. It's either gonna change values in very noticeable steps, or change at a fixed rate. So how do you suggest it's done?
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

KVRist
465 posts since 27 Nov, 2009

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:18 pm

That's why we need Midi control. :lol: Maybe some kind of acceleration? I dunno. I think it would be useful even if it wasn't perfectly implemented, but I know you only have so much time to code everything in.

KVRian

Topic Starter

1003 posts since 6 May, 2008 from Poland

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:58 pm

jonahs wrote:That's why we need Midi control. :lol: Maybe some kind of acceleration? I dunno. I think it would be useful even if it wasn't perfectly implemented, but I know you only have so much time to code everything in.
By the time I get around to implementing it multitouchscreens will probably be the answer anyway ;). Those would definitely solve the problem.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

KVRer
7 posts since 4 Feb, 2007 from Francium

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:29 am

Good morning,

One little stupid request about the main GUI, which could need only some little time of yours.

Because i have poor eyesight,
1. i can't read the frequency numbers, displayed in bottom left corner, with the smallest font in the world + light blue on white background :cry:
... Why nowadays, much computer interface style is like that ( Seven, MSN... ) light blue texts on white backgrounds. Well, for Windows it's not a problem at all, because i prefer XP, and for MSN, well, i loled 6 monthes with it and it's ok.

2. i see that the icons and interface is made of .png and .gif pictures. Very well, so that i think that you could make the interface skinnable ?
i tryed yesterday to do something for myself, but the result was very funny.

I would like so much a dark grey interface rounding the main working window, with white texts. it would be much more confortable for my eyes, because for now, i'll have to do lots of focus efforts in reading knobs values.
Maybe do you want to avoid confusion with the other software, but if you make some skinnable interface, this problem will be forgotten ;-)

3. I have some difficulties to disting the tools icons too because too less contrasted. ( sorry for my little english ), then for example when i think to change the paintbrush tool intensity, i have modifyed the min frequency ! :roll:
i would like to see brush intensity and spray width more next to the concerned tools, on the left of screen, than on the bottom, together with the main parameters.

i wanted to exprimate my wishes because i like so much this new software ! in the past i used Coagula, then SPEAR, because when i went at the IRCAM in Paris and saw Audiosculpt, only for MAC and only very special confidential software for small closed IRCAM members.

So that Thank you for this enormous great work you did !
i have now really Audiosculpt on my PC :-) (...More than that, because Audiosculpt is a real gas-works interface, and has less possibilities than Photosounder ! )
( http://photosounder.com/ )

KVRian

Topic Starter

1003 posts since 6 May, 2008 from Poland

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:38 am

cslevine wrote:Good morning,

One little stupid request about the main GUI, which could need only some little time of yours.

Because i have poor eyesight,
1. i can't read the frequency numbers, displayed in bottom left corner, with the smallest font in the world + light blue on white background :cry:
... Why nowadays, much computer interface style is like that ( Seven, MSN... ) light blue texts on white backgrounds. Well, for Windows it's not a problem at all, because i prefer XP, and for MSN, well, i loled 6 monthes with it and it's ok.

2. i see that the icons and interface is made of .png and .gif pictures. Very well, so that i think that you could make the interface skinnable ?
i tryed yesterday to do something for myself, but the result was very funny.

I would like so much a dark grey interface rounding the main working window, with white texts. it would be much more confortable for my eyes, because for now, i'll have to do lots of focus efforts in reading knobs values.
Maybe do you want to avoid confusion with the other software, but if you make some skinnable interface, this problem will be forgotten ;-)

3. I have some difficulties to disting the tools icons too because too less contrasted. ( sorry for my little english ), then for example when i think to change the paintbrush tool intensity, i have modifyed the min frequency ! :roll:
i would like to see brush intensity and spray width more next to the concerned tools, on the left of screen, than on the bottom, together with the main parameters.

i wanted to exprimate my wishes because i like so much this new software ! in the past i used Coagula, then SPEAR, because when i went at the IRCAM in Paris and saw Audiosculpt, only for MAC and only very special confidential software for small closed IRCAM members.

So that Thank you for this enormous great work you did !
i have now really Audiosculpt on my PC :-) (...More than that, because Audiosculpt is a real gas-works interface, and has less possibilities than Photosounder ! )
( http://photosounder.com/ )
It is skinnable (except for the fact that there's no skin management), and in almost 3 years you're the first one to remark about that, which I guess indicates the level of interest in skinning Photosounder. To do what you want to do just edit every single file in the gfx folder in the same way. I recommend a strong gamma to darken it all, maybe followed by a contrast change?
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

KVRer
7 posts since 4 Feb, 2007 from Francium

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:08 am

Thank you, wow that's wonderful !
yesterday i did too much quick tryes in skinning so that i obtained a cluttering result.
But when you confirmed me it's skinnable, i looked more deeply into the palette.png and that's so well ! :)

After i'll hope to make bigger the texts for the real time frequency value, so that i will be able to read something. I think it could be possible.

( my own skin :

Image


... but it's too late. i keep that only for myself.
)
Last edited by cslevine on Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

KVRer
7 posts since 4 Feb, 2007 from Francium

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:18 pm

Another wish would be{
some vectorial draw tools, like the straight lines
(as read above), and maybe some shapes too. Curves, Splin, Text...
Then, the vector shapes, a little as in Paint Shop Pro,
would be editable, so that we could doing some tryes.
( i am thinking of SPEAR :
http://www.klingbeil.com/spear
)
}


and the other wish, wished above too :
a real selection box (not the rectangle tool, wich only modify something, but doesn't select) for doing some moves after, copyes and so on.

KVRer
2 posts since 24 Sep, 2009

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:50 am

I'm new to Photosounder though I've been aware of the possibilities thanks to Metasynth.

Listening to some of the photos being played made me wonder if it would be possible to play a movie- I'm thinking in terms of a changing image that is played by the line that sweeps across the scene- not sure it's useful for anything but generating sound from movies, and not sure how much pre-computation is required to play the image...

Especially with a flexible time rate, I think that (if it's computationally feasible) this could produce interesting results.

al

KVRist
69 posts since 8 Oct, 2006 from Coventry, UK

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:22 am

I just bought Photosounder today in the special offer - and have been throroughly enjoying playing with it so far. I've got some "gut reaction" suggestions from what I've been doing this afternoon. Sorry if these are easy to achieve already - I just couldn't see how to do them (and I did read the manual!).

1. A quick way to return the play position to the start when it is part way through the file - e.g. press the Home key or similar (or have a Stop button as well as pause button). As I undertsand it currently you have to select the Selection tool, then click at the start of the timeline to move the play position back there before pressing Play. If you forget to select the selection tool first, you can end up applying something you didn't want at the start of the timeline. It would just be nice to quickly be able to play the file from the start when you have made some global change to it.

2. A way to select an area (rectangle) of the file to process with the operations (e.g. to frequency invert it, etc) rather than the whole file. The could be used to create some very interesting effects (and would also enable <3> below...).

3. Operations to create a gradient fade from black and also to fade to black (preferably over the period you have selected with the tool in <2>). This would enable us to create smooth fades in and out at the start/end of the files. I know this can be done in Photoshop, but I think it would be so much easier if it could be done directly within Photosounder. Also, if it was applied just to the selected area, it would enable smooth fades in/out of specific frequency bands.

I hope these make sense!

Thanks.
My Blog
Stett Audio on SoundCloud.

Return to “Photosounder”