[Bug] CPU goes 100% after File->Open. (FIXED)

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,

So me and my friend wanted to try out Photosounder.
Sadly, trying to invoke File->Open menu makes it
eat 100% of 1 CPU core and never stop.

Clicking the "New" icon does the same.
However invoking File->New makes the area
where you are supposed to draw the spectrum,
fully blue-filled.

None of the painting tools react.
You just try to paint something with them
and nothing happens.

He has a dual core AMD with windows 2000
+ service pack 4. We tried changing
CPU affinity, but it did not help.
"How are we supposed to judge what each converter sounds like without know which is which? I don't want to be unfairly influenced by blind listening."
- Gearhero @ GS

DanielKonopka wrote:Hey,

So me and my friend wanted to try out Photosounder.
Sadly, trying to invoke File->Open menu makes it
eat 100% of 1 CPU core and never stop.

Clicking the "New" icon does the same.
However invoking File->New makes the area
where you are supposed to draw the spectrum,
fully blue-filled.

None of the painting tools react.
You just try to paint something with them
and nothing happens.

He has a dual core AMD with windows 2000
+ service pack 4. We tried changing
CPU affinity, but it did not help.
Actually I noticed that when I tried it on my spare machine, which is an old single core Sempron with its most notable feature being a Matrox G200 PCI from 1998 for a graphics card. I didn't address it because I came to the conclusion that it was due to SDL updating the window contents in a non-hardware accelerated way which made it use all the CPU. Because of that and the fact that pretty much every machine these days has some decent GFX hardware (for that purpose at least) I didn't think it needed addressing. The problem doesn't occur on a modern machine, as I just tested, even after opening something large the CPU usage of the program remains 0%. However I may be wrong, maybe it's another factor.

Can you tell me what's your graphics card/chip on the PC on which you tested? Anyway in the next release I'll add an option to change the delay at the end of the main loop, by increasing it you'll be able to diminish the idle CPU usage, at the expense of the FPS rate, although I'm sure you'll still get a decent FPS.

As for the painting tools, the only one that should show anything when you do a New is the white spray paint. The others won't do a thing before you draw something, as the dark spray and smart erase have nothing to erase/darken, and the flashlight spray has nothing to lighten.

Oh by the way, just one precision, when you open a file, it does display the image and eventually allows you to listen to it, right?
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

A_SN wrote:Can you tell me what's your graphics card/chip on the PC on which you tested?
It is a Nvidia GeForce 7600GT. The motherboard's chipset is Nvidia NForce3 250.
CPU is AMD64 X2 3600, 3x 1GB DDR2 RAM sticks, nothing overclocked yet.
A_SN wrote:As for the painting tools, the only one that should show anything when you do a New is the white spray paint.
This is what happens after issuing File->New, see here.
A_SN wrote:Oh by the way, just one precision, when you open a file, it does display the image and eventually allows you to listen to it, right?
I can not open any file, at all. Not even make the Open dialog show up.
It just eats 100% of 1 core and loops endlessly, nothing else happens
and it has to be closed forcibly.
"How are we supposed to judge what each converter sounds like without know which is which? I don't want to be unfairly influenced by blind listening."
- Gearhero @ GS

DanielKonopka wrote:
A_SN wrote:Can you tell me what's your graphics card/chip on the PC on which you tested?
It is a Nvidia GeForce 7600GT. The motherboard's chipset is Nvidia NForce3 250.
CPU is AMD64 X2 3600, 3x 1GB DDR2 RAM sticks, nothing overclocked yet.
A_SN wrote:As for the painting tools, the only one that should show anything when you do a New is the white spray paint.
This is what happens after issuing File->New, see here.
A_SN wrote:Oh by the way, just one precision, when you open a file, it does display the image and eventually allows you to listen to it, right?
I can not open any file, at all. Not even make the Open dialog show up.
It just eats 100% of 1 core and loops endlessly, nothing else happens
and it has to be closed forcibly.
Ok that's really weird and not at all what I was thinking about. I've never heard of anything like this before. You said you ran it on Windows 2000, right? The truth is, I haven't tested on it in a year or so, and hardly anyone uses it anymore (Win2k is over 10 years old, that's like 40 years in computer years), that might be the problem. Is there any chance you could try it on XP on the same machine? I'll try to lay my hands on a Windows 2k virtual machine to see if there's anything I can do about it.

A_SN wrote:You said you ran it on Windows 2000, right?
Yup.
A_SN wrote:The truth is, I haven't tested on it in a year or so, and hardly anyone uses it anymore (Win2k is over 10 years old, that's like 40 years in computer years), that might be the problem.
My friend finds it rock stable and not as bloated as XP,
therefore he says he has been reluctant to move on.
A_SN wrote:Is there any chance you could try it on XP on the same machine? I'll try to lay my hands on a Windows 2k virtual machine to see if there's anything I can do about it.
I will see what he thinks about it. Maybe someone else could
tell us if this can be confirmed on an another Win2k machine?
- Gearhero @ GS

OK, I had a look at it. I've seen where the Open dialog freeze comes from and hopefully by changing its parameters it should work. As for the progress bar/waveform display not updating it just came from an uninitialised variable, so it's an easy fix. You just can't see the progress bar because of that but it does process what you draw anyways.

In the process I updated my compiler, and could push the optimisations enough so that everything goes almost twice as fast hehehe.

EDIT : Got the Open dialog freeze. It's cause the list of extensions to filter was too large. Now it works on Windows 2000. I'll try to release version 1.7.2 with all the fixes today.

Return to “Photosounder”