photosounder

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Forum people,

Plese can you advise me how to use Photosounder software tool in a rudimentary way.

The topic of interest to me is "isolating individual sounds" from an over-all mix. (from a song)

I am interested to know if people feel that this is "possible" on rich harmonic contents of music?

(For example a song that clearly contains 3 or 4 distinct sounds but is extremely organic and
harmonically rich)

(harmonic patterns are not simple beacause sounds are ogranic and constantly
slightly changing.....)

The current youtube examples of instrument isolation are quite good. But i am not getting
the same success here.

my method is)

1) open the song in photosounder

2) what i see in 1) is ONLY two colors. (Yellow and blue in scattered patterns and degrees of shade)

3) i was previuosly advised to "choose" the area of sound that interests me and "grab" it and grab ALL the
stacks of lines that are above it.

4) Presumably the sound of interest and "stacks of lines above it", are ALL in the color of YELLOW......right?
(what are blue shades and areas............blue is reverb and noise...?)

i am just trying to get a basic understanding of what the PHOTO on the screen actually represents?. It looks very simple in nature. (the screen photo)

I was wondering if "isolating sounds" could also become that simple in nature?

in summary, i have managed to PERFECTLY isolate the exact sounds in question. However, because they are such short, punches of sound they have RESULTED in tiny blobs of sound that, although, correct in pitch and duration, just have a Pulse at a monotone pitch. (they basically don't sound like the original synth in terms of reverb and harmonics and density of sound)

My question is one of perhaps a few other future questions before i decide how much attention to place on Photosounder.

I am perplexed as to how photosounder can isolate a kick drum ...perfectly......but when i try to isolate very short punches of lead synth lines....all the qualities of the sound are lost....just leaving it's pich, volume and a kind of monotone pulse sound.

what i am doing wrong perhaps?.....

i have spent a while doing this work.....but i am happy to continue because results are improving...

any help is greatly appreciated.

Can anybody upload an example of Photosounder DE-constructing a classic song....by isolating it's 4 main sounds?.....(this would fill me with enthusiasm for the tool...to even KNOW that my aims with Photosounder are possible?)

thanks,

Vince.

vinceASPECT wrote:Hello Forum people,

Plese can you advise me how to use Photosounder software tool in a rudimentary way.

The topic of interest to me is "isolating individual sounds" from an over-all mix. (from a song)

I am interested to know if people feel that this is "possible" on rich harmonic contents of music?

(For example a song that clearly contains 3 or 4 distinct sounds but is extremely organic and
harmonically rich)

(harmonic patterns are not simple beacause sounds are ogranic and constantly
slightly changing.....)

The current youtube examples of instrument isolation are quite good. But i am not getting
the same success here.

my method is)

1) open the song in photosounder

2) what i see in 1) is ONLY two colors. (Yellow and blue in scattered patterns and degrees of shade)

3) i was previuosly advised to "choose" the area of sound that interests me and "grab" it and grab ALL the
stacks of lines that are above it.

4) Presumably the sound of interest and "stacks of lines above it", are ALL in the color of YELLOW......right?
(what are blue shades and areas............blue is reverb and noise...?)

i am just trying to get a basic understanding of what the PHOTO on the screen actually represents?. It looks very simple in nature. (the screen photo)

I was wondering if "isolating sounds" could also become that simple in nature?

in summary, i have managed to PERFECTLY isolate the exact sounds in question. However, because they are such short, punches of sound they have RESULTED in tiny blobs of sound that, although, correct in pitch and duration, just have a Pulse at a monotone pitch. (they basically don't sound like the original synth in terms of reverb and harmonics and density of sound)

My question is one of perhaps a few other future questions before i decide how much attention to place on Photosounder.

I am perplexed as to how photosounder can isolate a kick drum ...perfectly......but when i try to isolate very short punches of lead synth lines....all the qualities of the sound are lost....just leaving it's pich, volume and a kind of monotone pulse sound.

what i am doing wrong perhaps?.....

i have spent a while doing this work.....but i am happy to continue because results are improving...

any help is greatly appreciated.

Can anybody upload an example of Photosounder DE-constructing a classic song....by isolating it's 4 main sounds?.....(this would fill me with enthusiasm for the tool...to even KNOW that my aims with Photosounder are possible?)

thanks,

Vince.
The two colours are only a way to map intensity. It goes from dark blue to lighter blue to orange-yellow to yellow to white, but it only represents intensity.

As for your problem of only getting the basic pitch out, sounds like you didn't have the Harmonics modifier turned on. You don't need it for a kick drum cause there aren't really any harmonics, but it's absolutely necessary for harmonic sounds. When it's turned on all you have to do is go for the basic pitch (which is the lower line in the stack of lines, although sometimes it's invisible and you have to guess it's there, using the harmonics cursor overlay to fit it on the other harmonics)

As for such things as reverb, you might have a tough time extracting it, as in image it's represented by a sort of haze/smear that surrounds/follows the sound you want to isolate.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Uh....well the sounds for isolation don't appear to have any stacked lines above them...
They are short pulses of sound in yellow. There are no stacked lines above them. There
is some below them but that may be other instruments (looks like the Base to me)

intensity of what then?....volume?

I only see yellow and blue (variations) in the screen image. (The waveform drawing at the top
however, does have orange etc.

Is any of this explained anyplace?

Maybe with short pulses of sound....is there a way that you may perhaps time stretch them
to see a better image....then spray it faithfully.....

Small image areas are not so easy to spray...

i would love to send you the sample....see that you successfully isolated it
in good time....(this would enthuse me for Photosounder if you also explained *how*
it was done)

Please don't take too much of your time on me. This stuff is not important and i have
plenty of time to experiment....i am mearly looking for good pointers from you.

i will continue my effort to use a simple example. Some song with 4 clear different
popular abundant sounds. I will try to seperate them. Trance music is full of examples
that i can try. Something clean with no reverb.

thanks for your replies. They make sense and perhaps this is indeed why we have forums...supposse

thankyou very much,

Vince.

Return to “Photosounder”